Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model Y is at 32,000 miles and needs new tires. I haven't seem much discussion on replacement options. Obviously I can put the same OEM Continental ProContacts back on. I did see Goodyear released the Electric Drive GT - apparently targeted directly at the Model Y (based on the initial tire size they released). I see Toyo Celsius is available in the 255/45R19 size too - .
Anyone gotten new tires yet? Any favorites?

Reactions: Olle and DrGriz
My 2021 Model Y is at 32,000 miles and needs new tires. I haven't seem much discussion on replacement options. Obviously I can put the same OEM Continental ProContacts back on. I did see Goodyear released the Electric Drive GT - apparently targeted directly at the Model Y (based on the initial tire size they released). I see Toyo Celsius is available in the 255/45R19 size too - .
Looking forward to this discussion.

I am anticipating the Goodyear Electric Drive will be a good option. They announced it late last year but I can't find where it's available yet for the Y.

Having looked at what's available, the Michelin Cross Climate2s balance treadwear, range economy, sound. But I am not set on them and have some time to ruminate. :)

Thanks for the Cross Climate 2 idea. I have never run dedicated 'snows' on any of my cars - but my Prius (the car before the Y) benefited from the 'All Weather' Celsius option...

So much tire discussion I've found seems to be centered on getting better performance etc. I'd be willing to trade performance for quieter ride and better efficiency. (I drive all the time in 'Chill' so clearly performance doesn't matter to me...)

I’m looking for new tires, too and have the same goals.
Michelin Pilot Sport, Cross Climate and Vredestein Quatrac pro have been mentioned quite a bit. THe cross climates and pilots have a better tread wear rating but I’m probalby more concerned with the ride and comfort than the treadwear.

Reactions: DrGriz
Well, just 'ordered' the Goodyear Electric drive GT from my local tire shop. Haven't paid anything yet. Nominal install date is ~1.5 week out. we'll see what happens. Just needed to 'do something' as there is no way my current tires will pass NH state inspection here this month as is...
Excellent. This is what I see when I go to Goodyear's website:

1657650343550.png

You will NOT find the Electric Drive GT yet.. i have stalked goodyear for months, store, and chats etc. They wont sell to Cali yet for sure.

After reading and evaluating hundreds of posts about how to fix MYP’s biggest problem (extremely bumpy), I concluded that the only real solution is to 1) replace those uberturbines with 19” wheels, AND 2) fix the suspension by installing coilovers. You can’t just do #1 or #2, you need to do both. The fix will cost you a bit but that’s what it takes to make a good car an amazing one.

This is what I did:
  1. Replaced uberturbine with 19x8.5” Martian forged wheels and fit them with 255/50r19 tires (this size is available in ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus, which in my opinion has better overall performance than Pilot Sport A/S 4). Tire diameter is 1” taller than OEM tire height but it will fit, anything taller won’t fit. Your speedometer reading will be slightly inaccurate due to increased tire diameter but for me that’s an insignificant compromise. This setup gave my car the necessary 5” side wall to absorb harsh bumps and nasty potholes in NYC, sufficient tire bulge for curb rash protection, and massive reduction in unsprung weight of the wheels.
  2. Installed MPP Comfort Coilover (no need to buy and install camber arms, toe arms, etc, you only need them if you also want to lower your Model Y), and set the compression and damping levels at your preferred comfort setting (I chose 13/13 for front and rear).

Before buying the coilovers, I contacted Mountain Pass Performance and I was advised to do exactly as I had planned — install the comfort coilovers AND install the tallest side wall tire that will not offend my sense of aesthetics (for me, the 19” wheels are still elegantly tall).

I waited for both the Martian wheels and the MPP coilovers to arrive (and the TPMS) then I ordered the tires and had them delivered directly to the auto shop (Fury Automotive in Mineola, NY). I did both upgrades at the same time, dropped the car at the auto shop at 8am and picked it up at 7pm.

So what’s the difference after the upgrades? I won’t say night and day (a lot of people use this highly subjective term), but the improvement is quite obvious. Noise, vibration and harshness are significantly reduced. Handling of bumpy roads is stil not comparable to luxury SUVs, but it’s definitely at acceptable/reasonable level now (in my opinion). The first time we drove to NYC (before the upgrade) my wife and daughter complained that the car was so bumpy and they can’t ignore the unpleasant experience. After the upgrade, my wife now says that the car is so smooth it feels like a different car.

I’m now really happy with my MYP because no other luxury SUVs can match the amazing speed and advanced technology offered by Tesla, and the extreme bumpiness had been eliminated. I also think that the new wheel setup made my MYP look better (the larger tire diameter filled the wheel well quite nicely).

C5AEC7BB-6A72-4C86-9A08-14E32E6B51B0.jpeg

D181C601-C4E9-4C68-8760-C3C3C3AC98B7.jpeg

I can now park the car very close to the curb without worrying about damaging my awesome wheels.
ADE87D41-F5F6-4D3C-ABA6-331AB96C4A1A.jpeg

3D46C9E3-AA92-4DC9-8790-32C457C37704.jpeg

Last edited:
After reading and evaluating hundreds of posts about how to fix MYP’s biggest problem (extremely bumpy), I concluded that the only real solution is to 1) replace those uberturbines with 19” wheels, AND 2) fix the suspension by installing coilovers. You can’t just do #1 or #2, you need to do both. The fix will cost you a bit but that’s what it takes to make a good car an amazing one.

This is what I did:
  1. Replaced uberturbine with 19x8.5” Martian forged wheels and fit them with 255/50r19 tires (this size is available in ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus, which in my opinion has better overall performance than Pilot Sport A/S 4). Tire diameter is 1” taller than OEM tire height but it will fit, anything taller won’t fit. Your speedometer reading will be slightly inaccurate due to increased tire diameter but for me that’s an insignificant compromise. This setup gave my car the necessary 5” side wall to absorb harsh bumps and nasty potholes in NYC, sufficient tire bulge for curb rash protection, and massive reduction in unsprung weight of the wheels.
  2. Installed MPP Comfort Coilover (no need to buy and install camber arms, toe arms, etc, you only need them if you also want to lower your Model Y), and set the compression and damping levels at your preferred comfort setting (I chose 13/13 for front and rear).

Before buying the coilovers, I contacted Mountain Pass Performance and I was advised to do exactly as I had planned — install the comfort coilovers AND install the tallest side wall tire that will not offend my sense of aesthetics (for me, the 19” wheels are still elegantly tall).

I waited for both the Martian wheels and the MPP coilovers to arrive (and the TPMS) then I ordered the tires and had them delivered directly to the auto shop (Fury Automotive in Mineola, NY). I did both upgrades at the same time, dropped the car at the auto shop at 8am and picked it up at 7pm.

So what’s the difference after the upgrades? I won’t say night and day (a lot of people use this highly subjective term), but the improvement is quite obvious. Noise, vibration and harshness are significantly reduced. Handling of bumpy roads is stil not comparable to luxury SUVs, but it’s definitely at acceptable/reasonable level now (in my opinion). The first time we drove to NYC (before the upgrade) my wife and daughter complained that the car was so bumpy and they can’t ignore the unpleasant experience. After the upgrade, my wife now says that the car is so smooth it feels like a different car.

I’m now really happy with my MYP because no other luxury SUVs can match the amazing speed and advanced technology offered by Tesla, and the extreme bumpiness had been eliminated. I also think that the new wheel setup made my MYP look better (the larger tire diameter filled the wheel well quite nicely).
Thanks for the helpful and descriptive post. I'm in your camp - I like my car but the awful suspension ruins it and my family complains about the ride, too. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the MPP comfort coil over package; I already have the 19" Gemini wheels so I'm going to see how the suspension manages without getting 255/50 tires. It still galls me to pay this much for a car and then have to shell out another $4k to get it to ride well but I'd rather do that then get rid of it.