Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no run flat tires made for MY at this time. FYI, run flat tires usually cost twice as much and often have half the life span of traditional tires, not to mention hash rides due to stiff side walls. They are traditionally made for performance vehicles with summer rated treads. Ironically, owners of vehicles with these tires often wish they could switch to regular tires.

Reactions: Pianewman
There are no run flat tires made for MY at this time. FYI, run flat tires usually cost twice as much and often have half the life span of traditional tires, not to mention hash rides due to stiff side walls. They are traditionally made for performance vehicles with summer rated treads. Ironically, owners of vehicles with these tires often wish they could switch to regular tires.
When I used to lease Beemers I'd switch out the run flats with my preferred tires then put the run flats back on for lease turn in - run flats suck.

Can I use run flat tires on 2021 MY?
Yes, you can.
I put on run flats on my 2020 Y in December
Bridgestone Driveguard 255/45RF19 V - Run Flat SL100V

They were roughly the same price as some of the other non run flat tires I was considering.
They run great and do not produce any more road noise than the OEM tires.
They actually have helped the ride quality a bit, which surprised me but made me happier.
Range did go down initially (~5%) but I attribute that more to winter (cold air is more dense) and having nice new sticky tread .vs. the older worn tires.
I like them and I like the part that it will be less likely that I'll have to wait 3+ hours for a tow truck somewhere.

Yes, you can.
Good to know, but when checking at Bridgestone's site. it says does NOT fit. This is true for Good Year run flat too. I know they fit the rims physically. I think it said doesn't fit because it was not designed for EV. There is a chance that if it fail to perform as claimed, you have no recourse.
1675101303808.png

Reactions: Puma2020
When I got my first sidewall blowout in my OEM runflats on my other car, I quickly found that they were common with runflats. Someone posted some study where they found that the incident of sidewall failure was statistically higher on vehicles with run flats than the same vehicles equipped with non-runflats. In my case, I hit a misaligned steel plate at very low speeds. It ruptured the bead on my runflats. It seemed like such a minor hit, I'm convinced a non-runflat would not have been blown out in the same conditions... On the BMW boards it was much the same. Those that ran with runflats, felt like they were having to replace their tires due to blow-outs much more frequently then those that opted to replace their runflats with non-runflats.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
Yes, you can.

They were roughly the same price as some of the other non run flat tires I was considering.
They actually have helped the ride quality a bit, which surprised me but made me happier.
Range did go down initially (~5%) but I attribute that more to winter (cold air is more dense) and having nice new sticky tread .vs. the older worn tires.
I like them and I like the part that it will be less likely that I'll have to wait 3+ hours for a tow truck somewhere.
Thanks. I have them on my X3 and they allowed me to drive about 8 miles to Discount Tires when we hit a metal object in a construction zone. Had I been in my MY, I’d have either been stuck in the Interstate 35 construction zone or ruined my wheel.

I replaced the factory MXM4s on my 2019 Model 3 with Driveguard runflats.

I was happy with them. I didn't notice any increased road noise, and the ride was similar to the factory tires. I will consider them when it's time for tires on my Y.
1675953868418.jpeg

1675953881452.jpeg

Yes, you can.

Are you still pleased with your run flat tires?

Does NOT have the proper load rating for the Tesla Model Y. Do the proper research.

No reputable shop would install these on a Tesla MY

Last edited:
See post #9 above, which is BRIDGESTONES'S OWN internet site says. Also TireRack has ZERO runflat rated tires listed for a Tesla MY.

XL load rating, 104, NOT 100. No reputable shop would mount these on a Tesla MY.

Do your own research.