Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I change both rear tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a flat tire yesterday, I can still put air by myself and drive to the local stores but most of them won’t repair(is still fixable?)

If change the flat tire, should I change both of them or is ok just for one?
I had 25000 miles.

911df82095731c213f87cc883382c01e.jpeg

Thanks
IMG_8067.jpeg

Last edited:
Just replace this tire. Thread looks good and should be on the other side. There's absolutely no need to waste money. I have done this many times due to nails and did not impact anything.
Also, you can simply plug with the plug kit and it will hold since the area is still contacting the ground when driving. The nail in your tire is small, so it will be just fine.

I believe the tires are stagged which means they can be rotated side to side. The only why they cannot be rotated is if they are both staggered and directional.
There's no benefit of switching side to side. Most wear for the MYP rear tires will be faster inside wear due to several factors, such as factory camber setup, acceleration, load, etc.

There's no benefit of switching side to side. Most wear for the MYP rear tires will be faster inside wear due to several factors, such as factory camber setup, acceleration, load, etc.

Your original statement that you cannot rotate was incorrect. Whether someone chooses to rotate or not is a personal choice, so your second comment is a worthwhile consideration.

I generally don't bother with cross-rotations either but have noticed that it does change road noise on a partially worn tire, must be due to the reverse-rotation of the tire that smooths it out again. Minimal improvement, if any, but if you have time to kill or are swapping your summer tires on after the winter, might as well mount them on different sides than they were before.

Reactions: ajram2002
Get it plugged with a Walmart kit or a tire shop that is willing to take $20. It will never fail, and you can use the tire for another Summer.

I would plug that in a heartbeat and not think twice about it again. Your inner tread looks pretty decent for the mileage, and I'm guessing you're not keen on spending $400/tire++ just because of this.
Ditto

Reactions: rolling green
Get it plugged with a Walmart kit or a tire shop that is willing to take $20. It will never fail, and you can use the tire for another Summer.

I would plug that in a heartbeat and not think twice about it again. Your inner tread looks pretty decent for the mileage, and I'm guessing you're not keen on spending $400/tire++ just because of this.
I thought so too, over $450 for one two will be $1000. This is why I wanna hear some more
It is outside of the allowable repair region and no reputable shop will repair it. Although we used to plug tires as a routine repair, it is no longer recommended. Especially as the plug gets close to the edge. Still, choosing to plug a tire is a personal choice.
yea, no store wants to fix only change the tire. So I tried to DIY myself today, it works but I spent 2 hrs for it and it’s so hard to push the plug in (I thought it’s easy like the videos)?however I feel like I didn’t do a good job, end up going to the store have it change and call the day.

I thought so too, over $450 for one two will be $1000. This is why I wanna hear some more

yea, no store wants to fix only change the tire. So I tried to DIY myself today, it works but I spent 2 hrs for it and it’s so hard to push the plug in (I thought it’s easy like the videos)?however I feel like I didn’t do a good job, end up going to the store have it change and call the day.
Make sure you ream the hole out a lot with the reamer tool. It should be a decent sized hole when you're done. Then with the plug lubed up with some rubber cement, it should slide in with one strong push. If your kit didn't come with a reamer, use a drill and a drill bit at high speed and ream the hole that way. (Around 1/4" bit? Use your good judgement, don't go too big. I have a carbide bit meant for this, but there's no size on it)

Reactions: 804son
Make sure you ream the hole out a lot with the reamer tool. It should be a decent sized hole when you're done. Then with the plug lubed up with some rubber cement, it should slide in with one strong push. If your kit didn't come with a reamer, use a drill and a drill bit at high speed and ream the hole that way. (Around 1/4" bit? Use your good judgement, don't go too big. I have a carbide bit meant for this, but there's no size on it)
I’ve tried plugging a tire in the past, reaming it out and all. But just like @Gucci7, I couldn’t put in the new plug.

Took it to a tire shop and saw them inflate the tire. I’m guessing the pressure stretches out the hole enough to get the plug in.

That being said, if I get a flat and the tire shop won’t replace, I’d just get a new tire. But that’s just me.