Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure the elastic is properly stretched around the entire intake. At the back it can ride a bit high unless you pull it down gently below the lip edge
I tried to fix. No luck. I just took delivery like 4 weeks ago so i wonder if updated part is different. It still should do the job but sock a tad too small. Barrier and 2 prefilters should hopefully prevent Elon’s musk.

I just installed this, this morning. At first, I thought it was too small, but you gotta work on it. Smush down the foam and it will fit. I’d rather have it tight than loose. It yeah, as previous posted said, once you get it on, feel around the cover to make sure all 4 corners are snug in place and the edges are the same.
Found a piece of a push tab in the red circle area when I was installing this. 🤦‍♀ good ol Tesla.
😂

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 43
Hello everyone and happy New Year! I ordered a new Hepa filter on Dec 5th and it still has not shipped, anyone had this issue as well? I have access to the parts catalog and ordered it myself so maybe I was sent to the back of the line since I am not a dealer?

I just installed this, this morning. At first, I thought it was too small, but you gotta work on it. Smush down the foam and it will fit. I’d rather have it tight than loose. It yeah, as previous posted said, once you get it on, feel around the cover to make sure all 4 corners are snug in place and the edges are the same.
Found a piece of a push tab in the red circle area when I was installing this. 🤦‍♀ good ol Tesla.
😂
Now close that awful gap where the wipers splash down

Reactions: jdw and Bull
I would not bother with the new assembly unless they change it for free. I haven’t had the smell yet as i put the dam up immediately and hydrophobic pre filter on when i got the car. I also did the same fix for my 2020 that always had the smell and it hasn't come back yet.

I am new to this thread and will share my experience with this issue.
  • 2021 Model S Refresh
  • Smell started at about 25,000 miles and is overwhelming when conditions are rainy or moisture is in the air
  • Took car to Service Center in September and Tesla was unwilling to service the vehicle under warranty; they explained the issue was the evaporator coils and charged me $210 to clean them; I replaced the cabin air filter on my own
  • Stank smelled returned immediately
  • Took Model S back to Tesla this week and pressed hard for warranty repair, and they finally agreed — it was a real battle of wills; I explained that I already spent $210 on a bogus solution per Tesla’s recommendation, and that it is unacceptable to have paid $100k for a car that my own family won’t ride in
  • The Manager working with me could not find evidence of part number 170575-00-C in their system, so they ordered 1750575-80-B for installation on January 2nd
  • I am concerned the Tesla Service Center may not be ordering the best part/assembly since so many people got the “-C” part as the fix to their issue; does anyone understand the exact differences between the -B and -C? The -B cost several hundred more than the -C, so is the -C just a component or partial assembly?
  • I just ordered the Filterwears sock to help prevent moisture from penetrating the air intake; I will install it immediately after the new filter assembly is installed
  • I am considering adding the water dam option introduced by @MFrunkerOG; however, I do wonder why you installed the gasket on the underside of your hood instead of making an upside U around the top and two sides of the air intake, as another poster suggested?
Finally, thanks to all previous posters for great insights, ideas, and recommendations.
This is just silly. They’re clearly uninformed. The new car part is a swap out that takes maybe 20 minutes and doesn’t require unbolting the receiving assembly from the car. And it comes with the fresh transferrable hepa.

Honestly if anyone in a 2021+ car has this issue, schedule the appointment, review the part *in person* and discuss whether or not you should pay for the replacement at that time. It’s clearly a faulty revision that has been fixed with a deeper trough and better drainage.

It’s also embarrassingly clear that they can just keep the receiving half of the assembly. There’s only a small pyrofuse in the way.

Honestly if anyone in a 2021+ car has this issue, schedule the appointment, review the part *in person* and discuss whether or not you should pay for the replacement at that time. It’s clearly a faulty revision that has been fixed with a deeper trough and better drainage.

It’s also embarrassingly clear that they can just keep the receiving half of the assembly. There’s only a small pyrofuse in the way.
This is Tesla service we’re talking about :)

Common sense and logic doesn’t apply to them.

I fully agree. Its a defective design which should be paid by tesla not me. However at the time I just wanted that putrid smell gone

Just drove for like 3 hours through torrential down pour this weekend. I popped the frunk right after and there were some small puddles of water sitting on top of my pre filter from amazon that I taped over the intake so the dam wasn’t 100% effective. I didn’t take off the housing to check if any water made it on the custom filter from filterwears but I’m guessing I’m good as the prefilter didn’t let the water that far.