Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know if you ever get more bubbles or if the bubble grows. But I think you will be fine. Try your best to also use a sun shade even on not so sunny days. It helps the IC and the MCU.
Well. After been parked outside in the winter weather for some days the bubbles got worse. Ordered a replacement screen from AliExpress and switched the screens today. Everything works perfectly again.

So my conclusion must be - the silicone repair can last for about two years, but at last it will fail…

Hello to everyone. My first post on this forum:)

I have been able to replace IC cluster on my Model S85 2013, thanks to this forum. I would like to add some points here because I believe someone could benefit from it.

My symptoms:
IC cluster was Gen1 and it didn't have any bubbles but suddenly it went completely dark and never turned back on. Car was normally driveable so I lived with it for a month or so. I removed the IC from the car and hooked it up to power and connected the wakeup pin to +12V. Only thing it did was that the fan started spinning, but no leds were shining nor any other signs of live. First observation which could help someone is that car works even if the IC is completelly disconnected, so being able to *sugar* gear to D isn't actually sign that only display of IC went off. Seem my IC board just gave up.

My solution:
I had another IC from Model S75D 2017 - facelift. It was Gen2 cluster with higher resolution display and without the fan. I was worried because I have read all this forum and didn't get conclusive answer whenever the replaced IC will communicate with car and I was worried that it won't be driveable and I will have to call to SC. I live in Czech Republic and SC here aren't very reliable. But I decided to give it a try. I hooked the new IC cluster (I only powered the car off from main MCU. After hitting the brake the IC went on immediatelly. Car automatically switched into Service Mode. IC cluster immediately switched the car logo and description to S85 (from S75D). However it said that car needs service and it can't drive. So in Service Mode I went into the "Reinstall Software" and then I pushed the IC. Car started to download the update and after few hours it went through the installation. Unfortunately the status was still the same so my panic gauge started to go off the chart:-D So I went into Service Mode again and this time I pushed Full Reinstall. It again appointed that new software update is available, so I got it installed right away (it didn't download as it propably still had the installation files from last time). After two hours or so the car was good and IC is working flawlessly since then:)

Hope this will help to someone:)

Cheers.

Reactions: xAgyex
Hello to everyone. My first post on this forum:)

I have been able to replace IC cluster on my Model S85 2013, thanks to this forum. I would like to add some points here because I believe someone could benefit from it.

My symptoms:
IC cluster was Gen1 and it didn't have any bubbles but suddenly it went completely dark and never turned back on. Car was normally driveable so I lived with it for a month or so. I removed the IC from the car and hooked it up to power and connected the wakeup pin to +12V. Only thing it did was that the fan started spinning, but no leds were shining nor any other signs of live. First observation which could help someone is that car works even if the IC is completelly disconnected, so being able to *sugar* gear to D isn't actually sign that only display of IC went off. Seem my IC board just gave up.

My solution:
I had another IC from Model S75D 2017 - facelift. It was Gen2 cluster with higher resolution display and without the fan. I was worried because I have read all this forum and didn't get conclusive answer whenever the replaced IC will communicate with car and I was worried that it won't be driveable and I will have to call to SC. I live in Czech Republic and SC here aren't very reliable. But I decided to give it a try. I hooked the new IC cluster (I only powered the car off from main MCU. After hitting the brake the IC went on immediatelly. Car automatically switched into Service Mode. IC cluster immediately switched the car logo and description to S85 (from S75D). However it said that car needs service and it can't drive. So in Service Mode I went into the "Reinstall Software" and then I pushed the IC. Car started to download the update and after few hours it went through the installation. Unfortunately the status was still the same so my panic gauge started to go off the chart:-D So I went into Service Mode again and this time I pushed Full Reinstall. It again appointed that new software update is available, so I got it installed right away (it didn't download as it propably still had the installation files from last time). After two hours or so the car was good and IC is working flawlessly since then:)

Hope this will help to someone:)

Cheers.
It's good to hear this firsthand! I have often disregarded people's problems with a black instrument cluster to outside sources and not a failure of the PCBA and/or Instrument Cluster. It is also good to know that the Full Reinstall worked from GEN 1 to GEN 2.

Reactions: cpaull
Yet another satisfied customer of reeldealev.com for replacement of a bubbled instrument cluster screen.
@uscgreel provided the gen1 instrument cluster display and all instructions needed to replace it myself.
Chad responded to all my questions and shipped me the display quickly (and well packaged). Installation took me ~5 hrs. (mostly cause I really took my time), but it wasn't that difficult. Would be quicker for someone more experienced. The hardest part was cleaning off the goo that had leaked out. Needed a few passes of goo gone followed by some simple green. All up and running again, and looks great. Thanks Chad!!!
Thank you so much! I bet your labor times will be cut in half for the next one! ;);)

Reactions: cpaull