Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really appreciate all of the folks sharing their experiences in this thread. I just did the IC replacement in my 2013 Model S last weekend, using the excellent ReelDeal screen. It took me closer to 4 hours, but a lot of that time was spent cleaning goo off the display mount and also trying to figure out how to disconnect the larger connector on the back of the screen!!

To that end, I created this short video showing how that connector works, which hopefully will be helpful to others. Side note, the little arm that swings over actually BROKE on mine, but the connector seemed to plug snugly enough into the screen that I'm hopeful it won't ever come loose.

@uscgreel feel free to use that video in your instructional content, if it's helpful. And thank you for what you do!
Thank you sir, very good video, that will help for sure! Every time I do one I think I need to do a video, then after putting the 1 last torx screw in the foot well I remember!

This is such an awesome thread..... I watched the screen on my wife's P90D go from a weird bubble to this mess over the course of about 4 months. I reached out to Tesla and like everyone else was shocked at the $1500 charge. Got the replacement .... I already had the pump up thingy (I had a "hidden gun storage shelf" that I let the battery die on and needed to pry it open)... and I'll probably undertake this tomorrow.
One question I have - I've seen videos where folks go through completely disconnecting the battery (i.e. reel deel) and others where no one does anything. What do I need to do? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: uscgreel
This is such an awesome thread..... I watched the screen on my wife's P90D go from a weird bubble to this mess over the course of about 4 months. I reached out to Tesla and like everyone else was shocked at the $1500 charge. Got the replacement .... I already had the pump up thingy (I had a "hidden gun storage shelf" that I let the battery die on and needed to pry it open)... and I'll probably undertake this tomorrow.
One question I have - I've seen videos where folks go through completely disconnecting the battery (i.e. reel deel) and others where no one does anything. What do I need to do? TIA
It's all about liability. That is the correct procedure, but 99.9% of the time it is not necessary.
Like the last electrician who replaced a breaker in my panel without shutting the power off. He said "I'll be fine" and he was, but if he was telling someone else to do it he would definitely tell them to shut off the main breaker first.
I replaced my MCU1 several times without going through any high voltage shutdown, or disconnecting fireman loop or the battery, or pulling any fuse, and it's fine :) Just power the car down first; you probably don't want to pull wires off of it while it is lit.

It's all about liability. That is the correct procedure, but 99.9% of the time it is not necessary.
Like the last electrician who replaced a breaker in my panel without shutting the power off. He said "I'll be fine" and he was, but if he was telling someone else to do it he would definitely tell them to shut off the main breaker first.
I replaced my MCU1 several times without going through any high voltage shutdown, or disconnecting fireman loop or the battery, or pulling any fuse, and it's fine :) Just power the car down first; you probably don't want to pull wires off of it while it is lit.
I agree with this but draw the opposite conclusion.
I worry about accidentally slipping a tool where it doesn’t belong, or somehow waking the car. Disconnecting the battery is just an extra few minutes, and since I don’t do this kind of work frequently, it’s not that much extra effort. So I do the full disconnect.
If I was a properly trained and experienced technician in the service center, I probably wouldn’t.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well... my replacement instrument cluster came in and slapped it it. Sure enough, I've got a firmware mismatch (GTW_f126 & GTW_f228). I've requested an OTA update so we'll see if they agree to do it.
It powers up but the screen doesn't wake up at all. If anyone else has done the entire unit replacement (like I did) and had to use a different board, was this the case before the update?

I ended up just taking it in... sigh. It was $1700 to replace the instrument cluster, update the firmware, and do the upgrade of the MCU1 to MCU2... so I don't feel too bad. The results are fantastic though. If I had to do the IC replacement again... I could do it no problem. But time and troubleshooting was killing me.

Infotainment Upgrade Billing Price Adjustment Subtotal 0.00 0.00 0.00 Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity Unit Price Price Adjustment Subtotal INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE FOR PREAP, AP1 OR AP3.0 VEHICLES(1582613-00- A)

Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU To Intel MCU And Retrofit MCU Jumper Harness Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity MCU INTEL UPGRADE-FOR TEGRAAP1.0 - NORTH AMERICA(9874564-00-A) 1.00 ASSY,HARN,MDLS,JUMPER, HSD CAMERA(1127304-00- B) 1.00 ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH(1052393-00-B)

THanks all for this great thread. It is time for myself to do this procedure now. @xAgyex, thanks for the excellent pictured instructions!
However, I am stuck at the last step of the removal of the IC. I couldn't, for the best of me, remove the big connector from the back of the old unit. @xAgyex you mention "left the clip up and over. Then pull it out." in your post. Can you be a bit more specific? It seems so tight and I can't figured out what to pull and unlock torelease it. @uscgor anyone in the thread, really appreciate if you can help!
Thanks!

THanks all for this great thread. It is time for myself to do this procedure now. @xAgyex, thanks for the excellent pictured instructions!
However, I am stuck at the last step of the removal of the IC. I couldn't, for the best of me, remove the big connector from the back of the old unit. @xAgyex you mention "left the clip up and over. Then pull it out." in your post. Can you be a bit more specific? It seems so tight and I can't figured out what to pull and unlock torelease it. @uscgreel or anyone in the thread, really appreciate if you can help!
Thanks!

Reactions: xAgyex
Shouldn't this be covered under a recall? I don't really see this happening a lot except for Teslas. Isn't the instrument cluster fundamental to operating the car just like they did a memory chip update recall for MCU 1?

Shouldn't this be covered under a recall? I don't really see this happening a lot except for Teslas. Isn't the instrument cluster fundamental to operating the car just like they did a memory chip update recall for MCU 1?
No recall would apply for something that fails like this. No different than a speedometer that fails long after the warranty expires in an ICE car. Tesla is one of the first to use a large LCD display in the instrument cluster, and while the design could be better, it likely was the best available at the time when designed back in 2009. One difference is all MCU1s are expected to fail at some point due to the design. MCU1 was not recalled either, but Tesla extended the warranty to 8 years/100K miles and has the eMMC fix. The Instrument Cluster is not guaranteed to fail and the warranty was not extended beyond 4 years/50K miles. There are plenty of cars with working ICs from 2012. Still sucks if your IC fails.

I wanted to chime in and add that I was able to do the replacement with the very helpful instructions from @xAgyex above.

One observation: When I first powered up I had a blank screen and none of my steering controls worked. I assumed that the circuit board in the back was out of sync so I performed a full reboot (the four finger method) and all worked properly.

PSA: I got my screen from Aliexpress for $136 Canadian which is the cheapest I found. They packed it well and shipped it quickly for free. The screen is an original LG model a few generations later than my original.

Here is the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.97.21ef1802FtIdh0

• Helpful
Reactions: xAgyex

PSA: I got my screen from Aliexpress for $136 Canadian which is the cheapest I found. They packed it well and shipped it quickly for free. The screen is an original LG model a few generations later than my original.

Here is the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.97.21ef1802FtIdh0

@cwave1 thanks for doing this. Now we can all save even more on these screens. Thats a great price. And great to know its the same part. Glad to be of help to you too.

Yet another satisfied customer of reeldealev.com for replacement of a bubbled instrument cluster screen.
@uscgreel provided the gen1 instrument cluster display and all instructions needed to replace it myself.
Chad responded to all my questions and shipped me the display quickly (and well packaged). Installation took me ~5 hrs. (mostly cause I really took my time), but it wasn't that difficult. Would be quicker for someone more experienced. The hardest part was cleaning off the goo that had leaked out. Needed a few passes of goo gone followed by some simple green. All up and running again, and looks great. Thanks Chad!!!