Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what tools were required to remove the IC??

View attachment 454667 View attachment 454669 View attachment 454670 View attachment 454671 View attachment 454667 View attachment 454669 View attachment 454670 View attachment 454671 View attachment 454667 View attachment 454669 View attachment 454670 View attachment 454671 So I just finished the screen replacement. I learned a few things. Contrary to some thoughts, pushing out a new update with a different IC will not brick your car. Also, contrary to posts I have read on these forums, pushing a new update to the replacement IC, will NOT make it Sync to your MCU. So, going with Buenos suggestion, I used my old motherboard and married to the new screen. There were about 8 small torx screws and a couple of ribbon connectors that needed to be removed. After that is was plug and play.

I wish Tesla would start selling parts, this job was super easy and no need for a computer reboot nor a need to throw away a perfectly good motherboard. BTW, that goo was terrible, but simple rubbing alcohol took it off. If/when the MCU screen goes, I plan on doing the same thing- very quickly. That goo is horrendous! Posting a couple pics with part #s in case anyone is considering it. I saved $1260 by doing it myself.

Torx bit (not sure what size), interior trim removal tools (harbor freight has them), inflation bag (Home Depot- but I just used a rigid small box to push into the cavity above the steering wheel to beep the dash high enough to get at the screws). You will need a smaller torx bit to remove the IC screen from the motherboard. Also, alcohol cleans up the goop really well.

Torx bit (not sure what size), interior trim removal tools (harbor freight has them), inflation bag (Home Depot- but I just used a rigid small box to push into the cavity above the steering wheel to beep the dash high enough to get at the screws). You will need a smaller torx bit to remove the IC screen from the motherboard. Also, alcohol cleans up the goop really well.

Attachments

• 75A20046-A11B-4B4E-874D-EF1E5C96DC94.jpeg
    75A20046-A11B-4B4E-874D-EF1E5C96DC94.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 299

Attachments

• 75AA4A80-B7A6-4308-965C-7BECE7AEB39E.jpeg
    75AA4A80-B7A6-4308-965C-7BECE7AEB39E.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 216
are you sure the ribbon cable is seated correctly? if its not then you will not get any display on the screen. Looks like the board has power based off the light glowing but no display I would double check the ribbon cable.

I still have my old one at home Ill pop it apart and take some pictures. Give me about 3 hours till then.

are you sure the ribbon cable is seated correctly? if its not then you will not get any display on the screen. Looks like the board has power based off the light glowing but no display I would double check the ribbon cable.

i actually purchased one off of eBay and I didn’t mess with it at all other than just plugging it in.

I still have my old one at home Ill pop it apart and take some pictures. Give me about 3 hours till then.

I’m super stoked. Dude thank you so much for trying to help me out. I’ll be reaching out next time I need something else lol. I was literally loosing sleep over this especially seeing other people doing it so easily. I actually don’t know what I did to fix and I don’t care lol
Glad to be able to help out! I think my next post will likely be the MCU screen, as they seem to go to crap pretty often. They are still pretty expensive used, but I saw someone was able to purchase one directly from Tesla for about $800, which is the price of a used one...