Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing my Model X with a New One. Seat Choices??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love my Model X, I am going to be replacing it with a new one because I really want the AP 2.0 capability with full camera suite, etc.

My current one is multi-coat red with white seats (6) and it is just gorgeous. My next will be the same colors, but I'm torn between the five and the six seat versions. There are usually only two people in the X, and occasionally three, rarely four.

With the six seat version, the interior is very spacious and I am just about able to fit most of the cargo that I would need with any regularity. The space between the seats adds a nice feel to it, but the lack of arm rests or any center console does make those seats a bit awkward for passengers sometimes. Have any of you experienced complaints or comments on the same, or are people generally comfortable in the separate pedestal seats?

With the five seat version, the interior might look/feel less spacious, and it likely will look less interesting when the FWDs are open. But additional, easy cargo space would not be unwelcome. I've seen the lightened photos of the five seat version in the forums, but it's difficult to tell 1) what the end result will really look like, and 2) how plasticky the seat lever and base/pedestal/whatever it's called will look.

Any thoughts on the comfort of either (six is lacking arm rests and might feel a bit odd; five doesn't go forward or backwards so there's potentially less legroom), or other consideration that I'm missing?

It'll be another 90D (unless the 100D is released before I order), with the PUP and sound and winter upgrades, base tires, no tow package.

Any other considerations or thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

Reactions: vandacca
As much as I love my Model X, I am going to be replacing it with a new one because I really want the AP 2.0 capability with full camera suite, etc.

My current one is multi-coat red with white seats (6) and it is just gorgeous. My next will be the same colors, but I'm torn between the five and the six seat versions. There are usually only two people in the X, and occasionally three, rarely four.

With the six seat version, the interior is very spacious and I am just about able to fit most of the cargo that I would need with any regularity. The space between the seats adds a nice feel to it, but the lack of arm rests or any center console does make those seats a bit awkward for passengers sometimes. Have any of you experienced complaints or comments on the same, or are people generally comfortable in the separate pedestal seats?

With the five seat version, the interior might look/feel less spacious, and it likely will look less interesting when the FWDs are open. But additional, easy cargo space would not be unwelcome. I've seen the lightened photos of the five seat version in the forums, but it's difficult to tell 1) what the end result will really look like, and 2) how plasticky the seat lever and base/pedestal/whatever it's called will look.

Any thoughts on the comfort of either (six is lacking arm rests and might feel a bit odd; five doesn't go forward or backwards so there's potentially less legroom), or other consideration that I'm missing?

It'll be another 90D (unless the 100D is released before I order), with the PUP and sound and winter upgrades, base tires, no tow package.

Any other considerations or thoughts or advice?

Thank you!
I find myself in the exact same situation as yourself, for very similar reasons. I would like AP2.0 hardware, folding 2nd row and I'd like to maximize range with a bigger battery. However, I decided that I would wait 3-4 years before replacing my X, although the end of life-time charging has made me reconsider somewhat. My biggest complaint was lack of folding 2nd row, but now that we have that option, my initial feeling is that I'm very underwhelmed. I think I would go 6-seater again, but I want to see and play with the 5-seat option before making that decision.

I'm waiting 3-4 years because right now things are changing/improving so quickly and I'm hoping by then things will have stabilized. I'm sure the X will continually improve, but after a period of time they will be more minor improvements. Also, the software for AP2.0 hardware won't be fully ready for at least 2-3 years (IMO) so there is no advantage to the AP2.0 hardware right now. My biggest reason for waiting is I'd like to wait for the 20170 batteries from the GigaFactory. I would expect these batteries to produce a lighter 100kwh pack (or possibly a 110kwh pack) which would increase range further.

Anyway, I find it inefficient to continually chase the latest and greatest and now that I have my X, I'm going to enjoy it for a while and wait for some significant changes before upgrading. Originally, I had planned to drive my X for 20+ years, but it may have to wait for my second X.

Here are some other points to consider:
  • I suspect that Tesla or some third-party will eventually provide a 2nd row console (for 6-seat version) with arm-rests.
  • I suspect that the 6-seat pedestal will be more comfortable than the 5-seat bench
  • GigaFactory will start producing next-gen batteries (20170) in next few months
  • Autonomous driving software won't be ready for a few years, regulations may take even longer
  • X production will continually improve over the next few years

Yeah. I considered an immediate replacement, and I also decided to wait.

I think you're going to see several more significant changes before the 3 reaches mass production, and possibly pricing changes too.

I'm also not sure if the Y might be an adequate replacement for me. I'll probably commit when they have the kinks worked out of autonomous driving and the 3 in production.

I'm sure 5 seat version will be showing up in the "wild" pretty soon, so that should help answer some of your questions. At the reveal, I believe the 6 seat version had a center console between the seats, so maybe that will be something offered later. Or possibly 3rd party will create something, as I can see the demand for it. My opinion, the 6 seat version offers the best of cargo capacity, aesthetics, and amount of seating.

Here are some other points to consider:
  • I suspect that Tesla or some third-party will eventually provide a 2nd row console (for 6-seat version) with arm-rests.
  • I suspect that the 6-seat pedestal will be more comfortable than the 5-seat bench
  • GigaFactory will start producing next-gen batteries (20170) in next few months
  • Autonomous driving software won't be ready for a few years, regulations may take even longer
  • X production will continually improve over the next few years

I think you are just trying to justify to yourself for keeping your X. I have been to through this situation before, when I took delivery of my S, I missed the AP1.0 hardware. I was so upset, and almost traded-in my car last year for AP1.0. No matter how much you try to justify to yourself, the crave would not go away. The fact is that Tesla will keep changing. I am so glad I waited and just placed an order for X with AP2.0, I never had AP1.0, but I know the EAP is a completely different level than the AP1.0. The EAP can automatic change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exist freeway, whereas, the AP1.0 is just an advanced cruise control.

Anyway, my point is, wait as much as possible until something significantly new and better.

No armrests in the back is definitely not very comfortable for your passengers, but how often do you have adults in the back and for how long is their average trip? Thinking of your passengers is certainly admirable but it's YOU that will be in the car every single time so make sure you are happy first.

Please remind me what the EAP acronym stands for?
Enhanced AP, aka AP2 features.

I think you are just trying to justify to yourself for keeping your X. I have been to through this situation before, when I took delivery of my S, I missed the AP1.0 hardware. I was so upset, and almost traded-in my car last year for AP1.0. No matter how much you try to justify to yourself, the crave would not go away. The fact is that Tesla will keep changing. I am so glad I waited and just placed an order for X with AP2.0, I never had AP1.0, but I know the EAP is a completely different level than the AP1.0. The EAP can automatic change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exist freeway, whereas, the AP1.0 is just an advanced cruise control. I don't think anyone will deny when AP2 features are released they are complete and work great.

Anyway, my point is, wait as much as possible until something significantly new and better.
Many promised features on AP2, just like original AP1. If we go by Tesla's track record it means all those AP2 features will come very slowly and it will be quite quirky along the way. To this date, AP1 is still not complete and full of issues.

Just when you take delivery of the AP2-equipped car, I am sure even better stuff is out by then. If you can wait then just wait. Otherwise it's not worth the hit to trade in so soon to catch the latest and greatest for 1 quarter. I can assure you there will be something new around Jan 15, 2017.

Reactions: bonaire
I think you are just trying to justify to yourself for keeping your X. I have been to through this situation before, when I took delivery of my S, I missed the AP1.0 hardware. I was so upset, and almost traded-in my car last year for AP1.0. No matter how much you try to justify to yourself, the crave would not go away. The fact is that Tesla will keep changing. I am so glad I waited and just placed an order for X with AP2.0, I never had AP1.0, but I know the EAP is a completely different level than the AP1.0. The EAP can automatic change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exist freeway, whereas, the AP1.0 is just an advanced cruise control.

You're 100% correct, I am trying to justify keeping my X.
Another way to look at it, is that I'm not as desperate to own a new X now that I have my "old" X. Most of that pent-up need/desire has been satisfied (for now). :)

Thank you ALL for your thoughtful responses!

I have adults in the back seat very infrequently, I just want them to be comfortable when they're there... But from all accounts, it seems like I am overthinking this and/or worrying a bit too much about the lack of arm rests, and consensus is that the 6-seat version is just fine! I have enjoyed the space and better rearview mirror visibility (yes, I use the rearview mirror while driving, changing lanes, etc.) that the six offers over the five, so between the two, the six is likely the better way to go. While I have stretched the limits of cargo space, in the rear and the floor space of the middle row, I didn't use the frunk, come to think of it. So, other than the odd plywood/drywall carry, the six should continue to work nicely. Again, thank you all for helping me think it through!

The bigger question seems to be whether it makes sense to upgrade at all -- and here I am inclined to think yes. I'm hugely disappointed that we can't retrofit the required cameras and hardware to our current vehicles; that would have been the preferred scenario for me. But since we can't, we can't.

One of the main reasons I wanted an X is because of the safety features. One of these is, of course, the phenomenal acceleration that allows us to get out of somebody else's way. The 90D is plenty for me for that. But the other safety feature, to me, is the cameras and autopilot (enhanced or otherwise). So the extra cameras and sensors should make a sizable difference to that, even if full autopilot doesn't arrive at the end of next year. Am I being naive to believe that AP 2.0 vehicles should have the same functionality as AP 1.0 vehicles by the end of this year or first quarter of next? I don't think I am, since regulations and such have allowed AP 1.0 to do as much as it does. If it is a matter of final testing/regulations, is there any reason to believe that AP 2.0 vehicles would not at least have TACC and autosteer and even summon and parking sometime in the near future? My plan is to pay for the whole suite up front, and then enjoy the bits and pieces as they are released. TACC and Autosteer combine to have better lane handling and speed control than most drivers I know, including myself.

And I may be alone in this reason, but a faster CPU will be VERY welcome! I find my current X a little bit slow to respond to searches, taps, etc., on occasion. The newer CPU should take care of that.

Last, because my X is barely 5-6 months old (5 months now, 6 when I can finalize the trade in), the hit is big, but still manageable. Because of the $7500 tax credit on the current vehicle and then also on the new one, as well as Section 179 and Bonus Depreciation because I'm self-employed and the vehicle is over 6000 lbs, I think the cost will be a few thousand, not tens of thousands. If it were tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade, I'd have a much harder time doing that, both financially and mentally.

My Owner Adviser person did mention that he is expecting a five-seat model to be in the showroom possibly by the end of this month. Since I can't trade in until 1/2/2017 (which means getting a trade in number on or after 12/18/16), that gives me a bit of time to play with, too.

Reactions: ModelX
On the seating we are very happy we did the 6 seat version, but originally we had a 5 seat on order. After actually sitting in an X we love the room down the center and since there was very little head room in the 5 seater 2nd row middle the 6 seater works well and opens up the interior a bit.

I'm waiting 3-4 years because right now things are changing/improving so quickly and I'm hoping by then things will have stabilized. I'm sure the X will continually improve, but after a period of time they will be more minor improvements. Also, the software for AP2.0 hardware won't be fully ready for at least 2-3 years (IMO) so there is no advantage to the AP2.0 hardware right now. My biggest reason for waiting is I'd like to wait for the 20170 batteries from the GigaFactory. I would expect these batteries to produce a lighter 100kwh pack (or possibly a 110kwh pack) which would increase range further.

One thing to be aware of is that if the vehicle gets lighter (less than 6000lbs), it won't be eligible for the same tax benefits... But better range would be wonderful! I'm hoping that maybe there's a 100kwh battery by the time I order -- but that is just an idle hope, based upon absolutely nothing. Range is the biggest reason for me to wait, and you make a good point.

There have been discussions of second row consoles or arm rests or similar, since January; I have not seen any real movement or third party interest, but I'm happy to continue holding out hope :). If, as you suspect, the six-seat pedestal will be more comfortable than the 5-seat bench, then great! My (few) middle row seat passengers felt as though they were "floating" or not really stable in seats, for some reason. I also felt a bit -- wobbly, I guess? -- in that row. I've only been there when letting others test drive and ride in the front seats, so that might not be the best test anyway; perhaps more ordinary/moderate driving doesn't feel as awkward?

X production will continually improve over the next few years

Absolutely. As does everything related to technology. And I know that constantly chasing the best and last is futile, expensive, and miserable. The added safety benefits and faster/more responsive console are my big reasons, and after that, I just need to not cry if/when a better battery pack comes out :). A physically smaller vehicle, but still as high as the X, would be even better for me -- so maybe eventually I will get a Y. But that could be many years out, and I don't know that I want to stick with AP 1.0 until then, given the manageable cost of upgrading if I do it soon.

No armrests in the back is definitely not very comfortable for your passengers, but how often do you have adults in the back and for how long is their average trip? Thinking of your passengers is certainly admirable but it's YOU that will be in the car every single time so make sure you are happy first.

Another good point! The front seat doesn't change, of course, and is comfortable for me no matter what the rest of the seat configuration is. I like the six-seat because of the open/better view through the rear windshield, and the general aesthetic when opening/viewing from the FWDs. The five-seat might look a bit more closed in, depending upon where exactly the bench is placed.

And I may be alone in this reason, but a faster CPU will be VERY welcome! I find my current X a little bit slow to respond to searches, taps, etc., on occasion. The newer CPU should take care of that.
The upgraded GPU is for the AP hardware and is separate from the infotainment one. No one knows if Tesla upgraded that CPU (nvidia tegra) until people with AP2 cars start showing up on the forum.

Reactions: vrykolas
Need some advice from the group. Looking to buy Model X, AP2, maybe before the end of year cut off and torn between the new 5 seat and 6 seat layout. Here's where I see the pros/cons. Would like any advice from owners:

5 Seater: + Greater flexibility with cargo, + more comfort for passengers (armrest?) - less leg room?, lack of heated seats?
6 Seater: + More leg room + seat tilt, + Heated Seats; Nicer finish - Slightly less cargo space - No arm rest

I test drove the 6 seater and while sat in the rear I did sometimes feel like I needed an arm rest, although hard to tell on a 10 minute drive.

Any advice or corrections to my assumptions above appreciated.

Need some advice from the group. Looking to buy Model X, AP2, maybe before the end of year cut off and torn between the new 5 seat and 6 seat layout. Here's where I see the pros/cons. Would like any advice from owners:

5 Seater: + Greater flexibility with cargo, + more comfort for passengers (armrest?) - less leg room?, lack of heated seats?
6 Seater: + More leg room + seat tilt, + Heated Seats; Nicer finish - Slightly less cargo space - No arm rest

I test drove the 6 seater and while sat in the rear I did sometimes feel like I needed an arm rest, although hard to tell on a 10 minute drive.

Any advice or corrections to my assumptions above appreciated.
We originally ordered the 5 seat configuration, but once we had the chance to sit the middle seat we realized there was very little head room. So we trade some cargo space for the room between the second row seats with the 6 seat configuration. We are glad we did and find the lack of arm rests are not an issue.

Ordered my MX last weekend. After way too much thinking, we decided to stick to the 5 seat configuration. Tesla said that the 5 seater will have full heated seats, 60/40 split and the same legroom as the 6 seater in the 2nd row. + the biggest thing that did it for me is the 88 cu Ft of space you get and the lower floor throughout for cargo. Ordered MX 90D, Metallic Black, 19", Ultra White, EAP, PUP, SubZero, and Towing. Looking like a March delivery now.

Ordered my MX last weekend. After way too much thinking, we decided to stick to the 5 seat configuration. Tesla said that the 5 seater will have full heated seats, 60/40 split and the same legroom as the 6 seater in the 2nd row. + the biggest thing that did it for me is the 88 cu Ft of space you get and the lower floor throughout for cargo. Ordered MX 90D, Metallic Black, 19", Ultra White, EAP, PUP, SubZero, and Towing. Looking like a March delivery now.
Charlie, FYI we also have MX 90D on order for March delivery, 5 seat version, Muli-Red, 19" Tan/Black Headliner, EAP, FSDC, PUP, Sub, UHFS, & Towing. We placed order 11/10/16 & Requested March Delivery. We plan to tow travel trailer.