Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Tire (Have to replace all?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am writing on behalf of a friend, who has a 22 MYP. Recently he accidentally curbed their wheel which compromised one of the front tires which will require replacing all tires instead of the front 2.

When it was brought to Costco, the friend was being told that all 4 have to be replaced because if the new tire is a 2/32 difference.

Is this correct? I understand this makes sense if it was a regular car because of the transmission. Could anyone clarity?

Reactions: Star K1tty
I am writing on behalf of a friend, who has a 22 MYP. Recently he accidentally curbed their wheel which compromised one of the front tires which will require replacing all tires instead of the front 2.

When it was brought to Costco, the friend was being told that all 4 have to be replaced because if the new tire is a 2/32 difference.

Is this correct? I understand this makes sense if it was a regular car because of the transmission. Could anyone clarity?
No, maybe two tires. Not four.

I’ve not heard of the 2/32 difference rule.

Last edited:
Sort of. The tech was telling them that due to it being common practice with an AWD vehicle. AWD vehicles traditionally use different types of transfer cases and differentials to delegate the power through the drivetrain. These can be negatively impacted if a tire's outside rolling diameter is too far off from the others.

With an EV though, this isn't an issue. EVs are such a small percentage of the customers tire shops see they typically don't stress that it's not an issue with them to employees. Especially because the motivating factor seems like it's coming from a helpful place and makes the tire shop more money by selling more tires. It's easy to see why the updated training on that topic is slow to be disseminated.

Ultimately, a 2/32 different is VERY minimal even on an ICE AWD vehicle but I wouldn't worry about it at all on something like a Model Y. Replace the one tire and go on with life. If the others are near their end anyway it's a good time to replace them all. If the other tires are relatively new, I'd replace the one and then consider swapping all four once the other three are at the end of their tread life.

That's me though. You're free to do as you like.

Sort of. The tech was telling them that due to it being common practice with an AWD vehicle. AWD vehicles traditionally use different types of transfer cases and differentials to delegate the power through the drivetrain. These can be negatively impacted if a tire's outside rolling diameter is too far off from the others.

With an EV though, this isn't an issue. EVs are such a small percentage of the customers tire shops see they typically don't stress that it's not an issue with them to employees. Especially because the motivating factor seems like it's coming from a helpful place and makes the tire shop more money by selling more tires. It's easy to see why the updated training on that topic is slow to be disseminated.

Ultimately, a 2/32 different is VERY minimal even on an ICE AWD vehicle but I wouldn't worry about it at all on something like a Model Y. Replace the one tire and go on with life. If the others are near their end anyway it's a good time to replace them all. If the other tires are relatively new, I'd replace the one and then consider swapping all four once the other three are at the end of their tread life.

That's me though. You're free to do as you like.

Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking similar as well since it's two seperate motors for an EV but was not sure if the ICE rules may apply. Yes, that is what I am asking my friend to do by just replacing the affeted tire or both fronts since it seems like the particular Costco location is saying it is their policy all even thou the car have been driving 13K on the ODO.

IF your friend needs to replace 2 tires, make sure the new tires go on the rear. It's the industry standard. All of the national chain tire shops I know have this requirement.

Yes, more true if this was a MYLR but since it is a MYP, it would not quite be possible this way so it would be just the front two.

Sango2: You are correct, if the MYP in question has the staggered set up.

If the front tires have 13k one them, I don't think a single tire replacement is advisable. At 13k, the tires are at least 1/2 worn, and the tread difference between old and new would be too great.

Another point: If the front tires are going to be new, and the rears are worn, there might be serious traction issues in a wet braking/steering event. That's possibly why the recommendation to replace all 4.

Tesla hi-torque motors, with strong, instant regen, really require balanced/equalized tread depth, to avoid handling/traction issues. My opinion, of course, as I'm always concerned about wet handling/braking. (The OP is in BC Canada, plenty wet and slushy!)

Have an update to this.

I called the Costco location a few moments ago to find out what is going on, and the rep went out to have a look at the MYP since it is sitting in their lot while the new tires are arriving on Monday.

The tires (unaffected) on tire wear on the car is fine. Apparently MYP is equipped with Pirelli Summer Tires and Costco cannot get those tires in therefore offered/recommended the Michelin All Season, which is better for our climate.

The tires (unaffected) on tire wear on the car is fine. Apparently MYP is equipped with Pirelli Summer Tires and Costco cannot get those tires in therefore offered/recommended the Michelin All Season, which is better for our climate.

I am surprised that you didn't have winter tires when living in Vancouver. Even if you only drive in the city and don't go to a ski resort,
summer tires are not recommended to use during winter season because this type of rubber is strongly affected by the cold temperature.

If you have space in your garage, I would keep the old tires and try to get some rims from e-Bay, so you could make a spare with the other front tire,
and have a rear set that you could use in the summer if you drive a lot, since the rear tires get worn out faster than the front ones.

Last edited:
I am surprised that you didn't have winter tires when living in Vancouver. Even if you only drive in the city and don't go to a ski resort,
summer tires are not recommended to use during winter season because this type of rubber is strongly affected by the cold temperature.

If you have space in your garage, I would keep the old tires and try to get some rims from e-Bay, so you could make a spare with the other front tire,
and have a rear set that you could use in the summer if you drive a lot, since the rear tires get worn out faster than the front ones.

I told my friend that since he was unaware the tires were not all-seasons when he got the car, even thou my own car came equipped with the all-seasons.

I personally do want to get a set of winter tires for future state and wheels but did not yet (did so with my previous car which I no longer have); however I was still able to drive around the city without issue unless it was really bad (stayed home). I do plan on another set of wheels to go to 20" instead once the factory tires are worn out.

Depends on the tire wear and make. If you are replacing a damaged tire with an identical make or brand and the wear is minimal you will only need the damaged tire replaced. If the wear is more than 2/32 inch then you may need the two front or back tires replaced. If you go with a completely different brand and rating, you will have to replace all four due to the difference in traction and it could be tricky in an emergency as the trajectory of your car becomes unpredictable. But if you drive like an old geezer and not exceed speed limits and avoid bad weather conditions you should be fine. Of course the tire dealers want to sell 4 tires instead of one or two every time and they will tell you all sorts of things but that really applies to the most extreme situations.

wuzle said:
Tirerack can shave new tires down to match the wear of the other tires, so you only need to replace the one damaged tire. I did this recently, and it was pretty simple.
That is awesome! Saves a bunch!

wait - you save money by essentially throwing away some part of what you just bought? (and you have to pay for the service)

My head is spinning

don't get me wrong, my initial response was to go out into the parking lot and do a bunch of donuts to wear down the new tire 🤡

• Funny
Reactions: arvindm