Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Tire (Have to replace all?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I never understood this. Still don't

Seems like you'd be better off losing the back end than the front end
The concept is safer for the vast majority of drivers.

Even with ABS, if the rear loses traction and the car starts to rotate, the average driver will continue to stomp the brakes, and the car will continue rotating. Total loss of control.

If the front loses traction, with heavy braking, ABS (and steering) will assist keeping the car going straight, which is safer.

That's how I figure it, or is my explanation "hopeLESS"?
Do you think it's safer to recover from losing traction in the rear? When you lose the rear, while braking ( w

I'm talking about the average driver here, who will stomp the brakes!), the car will continue to rotate out of control. If you lose traction in the front, you'll simply plow straight ahead, with ABS keeping you in line.

The concept is safer for the vast majority of drivers.

Even with ABS, if the rear loses traction and the car starts to rotate, the average driver will continue to stomp the brakes, and the car will continue rotating. Total loss of control.

If the front loses traction, with heavy braking, ABS (and steering) will assist keeping the car going straight, which is safer.

That's how I figure it, or is my explanation "hopeLESS"?
Do you think it's safer to recover from losing traction in the rear? When you lose the rear, while braking ( w

I'm talking about the average driver here, who will stomp the brakes!), the car will continue to rotate out of control. If you lose traction in the front, you'll simply plow straight ahead, with ABS keeping you in line.
Except if you lose traction in the front you have no steering. That’s the whole point of ABS, or at least half of it. It keeps the wheels out of the skid mode which maintains control and increases braking ability.

You are correct that braking in the front combined with skidding in the rear will likely lead to a spin. Maintaining braking in the rear will put a natural drag on the car which will tend to keep it more straight. Do you know if Teslas can apply ABS to individual wheels or is it all or nothing?

The other advantage to putting the good tires on the rear is Tesla’s are biased to the rear motor so the rear tires are the drive tires unless the front is needed.