Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request to enable DAB+ - Interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Renault Zoe which is fantastic, particularly around town. My other car is a Peugeot turbo diesel 508GT only used for interstate trips and very local towing. I intend to upgrade it to a Model 3 which is just right for me in terms of size (for longer distance travel). I am waiting until the tow bar is available (factory fitted) and to a lesser extent DAB which I use all the time in Zoe except out of town when I use AM and FM. So hopefully this is the year of the M3 towbar and DAB in Aus.
Regds,
Dave

Reactions: baillies
DAB+ on my M3 LR AWD is there. It just needs Tesla to enable it in SW. Based on a bug where I have been listening to one station on DAB+ in the car now for weeks now it must be easy for Tesla to do. This thread doesnt seem to have moved them to enable it. What else do we need to do?

DAB+ on my M3 LR AWD is there. It just needs Tesla to enable it in SW. Based on a bug where I have been listening to one station on DAB+ in the car now for weeks now it must be easy for Tesla to do. This thread doesnt seem to have moved them to enable it. What else do we need to do?
Wilbur - you didn’t answer my question from the other thread you started. If you save this “DAB+” station as a favourite, switch to an FM station, then switch back to this “DAB+” station, is there any noticeable delay before it starts playing?

Wilbur - you didn’t answer my question from the other thread you started. If you save this “DAB+” station as a favourite, switch to an FM station, then switch back to this “DAB+” station, is there any noticeable delay before it starts playing?
It saves it as a favourite but doesnt work as a favourite. Mostly does not switch but sometimes says DAB not available. When you use the direct tune it takes the fraction of a second. About the same as my home DAB radio. But not the length of time for streaming.

Well that’s totally weird. The radio hardware is either DAB+ capable or it isn’t. If we knew where the radio hardware is located it presumably would be possible to identify the hardware and look up its product code to prove it once and for all.

If the hardware is capable, then yes, it appears there is some very weird software thing happening for you and DAB+ could be enabled by Tesla.

I tried entering a DAB+ frequency directly but of course it won’t let you programme anything in over 108 MHz. 107.9 does nothing in Sydney.

II assume the hardware is there (the Model S and X have it enabled) so it's just a matter of enabling the scanning of the right frequency range. Somewhat related, I saw a Canadian youtube video showing that the Model3 in their market also has a hidden AM radio selection.

I just had my car delivered Wednesday. It software updated to 2020.8.3 and I have DAB+ doing some testing switching back and forth between DAB and FM, DAB actually sounded "slightly" worse than the FM stream. The audio sounded a little bit more tinny. I work with audio so I have fussy ears, the difference is likely unnoticeable to someone if they aren't listening for it. I am just surprised its not better than FM. Has anyone else noticed a difference in audio quality? Is DAB better or worse for you?

I just had my car delivered Wednesday. It software updated to 2020.8.3 and I have DAB+ doing some testing switching back and forth between DAB and FM, DAB actually sounded "slightly" worse than the FM stream. The audio sounded a little bit more tinny. I work with audio so I have fussy ears, the difference is likely unnoticeable to someone if they aren't listening for it. I am just surprised its not better than FM. Has anyone else noticed a difference in audio quality? Is DAB better or worse for you?
In my car DAB+ is waaaaay better than FM. Really solid and punchy.

Do you have SR+ or LR/P? DAB+ might sound better in cars with premium audio.

In my car DAB+ is waaaaay better than FM. Really solid and punchy.

Do you have SR+ or LR/P? DAB+ might sound better in cars with premium audio.

Yeah I have SR+

Another potential candidate is the signal strength. There is a little signal strength icon next to the station, DAB+ and FM operate on different frequencies.

I'm not in the best signal area for radio, but usually on other radio devices FM is way worse than DAB.

When I can drive somewhere to an area with better signal i'll try it again and see how it sounds.

Thanks mate
Hopefully we can get this going and get it enabled.
So are you saying that USA Tesla model 3 2018 only has FM/HD? because on my car i also only see FM stations i think i saw a " HD" icon. I saw that in
buy parts from crashed cars and buy a " DAB Radio and a DAB Module EU", yet i heard that if i replace the hardware Tesla still needs to enable it with Tesla software, i need to find someone who can do that also.