TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Request to enable DAB+ - Interested?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by stedes, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

2. spidey

spidey Member

Still trying to prove whether AU Model 3 is DAB or not. (I don't have my car yet).

Tesla Tom looked at his wife's car and said 'looks like digital radio' but the menu he described appears to be the FM menu (looks like the car's pre-load FM stations dependent on location which is kinda cool - but that's till not DAB). (please nobody restart the dab/dab+ argument again - I'm over it).

I then thought I'd try another tac and found the European manual and Bingo - page 112 - DAB Radio

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Anyway then looked at the 'Australian' manual (linked from within the my account page) and it mentions FM and 'HD' , which is the US digital radio standard which seemed odd to mention in the Australian manual until I realised the URL linked for the 'Australian' manual is:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

It's North American Manual!!! aargh! (explains why it mentions FM/HD radio).

I've tried to guess what the 'Australian' manual url might be in the above directories on their website (file listing is turned off naturally) and no luck.

To be honest after all that I'm none-the-wiser really.

3. youmi

youmi Member

I posted a screenshot in the other thread of the radio screen from my Tesla. Mines an SR+ so no idea if it’s in the performance version. The North American manual is the link that’s given to AU owners.

4. Mark E

Mark E Member

Top be honest the addition of DAB+ radio probably doesn’t add that much to the car. I don’t listen to AM or FM any more and just use the built-in TuneIn radio to listen to radio stations using the cars internet connection. I’ve found that DAB+ reception is pretty limited, whereas the internet connection works all over the place - including in many car parks.

• Like x 2
  5. spidey

spidey Member

You did too Sep 21 thank you so much Youmi that's what I was looking for.

So that screenshot matches the US manual - and 'doesn't match the European manual which states that under media player there should be a 'DAB Radio' option as well as the 'Radio' option.

It's almost as if they've provided Aus/NZ cars with the North American setup instead of the European setup which would be a rather odd.

6. paulp

paulp Active Member

You are criticizing a ceo for interacting with his customers? Should be a lot more of that.

• Like x 2
  7. Vostok

Vostok Member

Please quote me where I said that. If a CEO wants to interact with his customers, that’s great, but what I wrote was “if the way to get a company to respond to something is to tweet the CEO...” which, if true, implies that any other action will not result in the company responding, or not responding adequately or promptly. If that’s the case, that company has serious communications and customer management issues it needs to address.

Every minute spent by a CEO directly interacting with his customers (when frankly that should be the primary job of other people in the organisation) is a minute that CEO spends not addressing or solving some other company-wide operational, management or performance issue. And there are only 1440 minutes in a day, so at some point something will break if a CEO spends too much time on the wrong things.

8. Vostok

Vostok Member

If you’re being funny, very funny. If you’re not, then you have just insulted every Tesla employee who is not Elon Musk.

9. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

Definitely wants it.

10. mattclar

mattclar Member

+1
    I have my SR+ and can't find any b mention of DAB anywhere, was definitely under the impression though that it would come with it

11. Shrike_AU

Shrike_AU Member

12. WilburGreen

WilburGreen Member

+1 While I do like tunein, I was very much looking forward to dab+. I listen to dab+ most of the time at home

13. aegidius

aegidius Member

Would love DAB+ on my Model S too. However, if there's no hardware, then so be it. It should definitely be in and enabled in all current hw.
    I use FM mainly around town and it works fine, but DAB+ at home does give superior sound quality.

14. AndrewSa

AndrewSa Member

Yes that was me that received the email from tesla Australia that DAB was included as HD so it should for 70k+ car. Come on tesla

• Like x 2
  15. tessiestraya

tessiestraya Member

Bit of a weird question but why is everyone raving about DAB so much?
    Is there any noticeable benefit to it?

• Like x 1
  16. sauhsoj

sauhsoj Member

Compared to streaming:
    * It is fast to switch channels & higher quality. Not reliant on a data connection.

Compared to FM radio:
    * It is much higher sound quality, and contains more channels (AM & FM channels + new channels)

• Informative x 4
  17. tessiestraya

tessiestraya Member

Ahh, I see.
    I guess thats pretty good to have better quality and faster 'zapping' I believe its called. Some people can really tell the difference between the quality, I'm pretty good at it with headphones but not with speakers.

Although its still radio where you have the downsides of around 10,000 advertisements and hosts who's mouths should be filled with expanding foam.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. bay74

bay74 Member

I wanted DAB+ for Kinderling kid's radio. If I have to listen to the kid's inane CD (now on USB) on repeat one more time...!

19. PJF000

PJF000 Member

No. You just say "play kids songs, ABC kids radio, .........(fill in the gap) on spotify or tune-in radio and you have unlimited selections

• Informative x 1
  20. bay74

bay74 Member

What about for us poor SR+ plebs with no Spotify? I’m on 32.2.2; if it’s there and I can’t see it sorry for being dense and thanks in advance for help in finding it. Haven’t spent much time in the “media” player.