Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

resell value of model S in 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! That is my primary concern...
It's a gamble on how rapidly this depreciation occurs. I think with Tesla including free unlimited supercharging on pre-owned 2012-2016 models will allow the older S's to hold their value. That's a very enticing selling point that new models will not include.
but the newer models will continue to see improvements in battery technology that will increase range, allow for faster charging and also I am certain that the AP systems will come into their own. Just like any car of any era, there will always be a newer "more better" car just on the horizon. so in my mind is forget about the costs involved, because any car will have similar costs, buy and enjoy what is available today

Exactly! That is my primary concern...
It's a gamble on how rapidly this depreciation occurs. I think with Tesla including free unlimited supercharging on pre-owned 2012-2016 models will allow the older S's to hold their value. That's a very enticing selling point that new models will not include.
Why does everyone thinks free unlimited supercharging is so valuable? I want to understand what I am missing. Charging at an SC is way less convienent than charging at home so one would probably only do so on trips. Even if you do a lot of trips, isn't it at most a few hundred dollars a year?

Why does everyone thinks free unlimited supercharging is so valuable? I want to understand what I am missing. Charging at an SC is way less convienent than charging at home so one would probably only do so on trips. Even if you do a lot of trips, isn't it at most a few hundred dollars a year?

There's a psychological aspect to it - knowing it is free encourages road trips, which is probably why Tesla wanted it in the first place.

The available evidence suggests that a lot of people don't value their time much, and would rather spend the time sitting at a Supercharger than pay for power at home.

And as various threads discuss, there are businesses that built their entire business model on hundreds of thousands of miles of free electricity per year from Tesla like Tesloop, which is why unlimited Supercharging went away.

Dude, you are thinking of buying a 7 series / s class level car. Expect it to cost money and be expensive... Basically after about the first year, the cost is linear for the next few years. You don't really save much money buying preowned vs. buying new due to that kind of linear curve and also maintenance and repairs... Buying a 4 year-old car today, depending on mileage may require you to do a full brake job in the next 2 years. Also there will be other wear and tear items to replace.

As new gen battery will be released this year, just think about it. In 2 more years, a 6 year old car with no AP, original seats, 80-100k miles... won't be worth much... Really shouldn't be worth any more than a 6 year old 7 series with that many miles, which isn't much. However still costs the same to maintain and repair (and with Tesla you can't fix it anywhere else).