Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the lack of updates for "legacy" cars affect resell value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
My "legacy" 2020 MX has been missing out on some updated features lately that I think it should really be able to have. Things like traffic light/speed trap icons in the route planner or new light show routines shouldn't be based on any specific hardware version and should be available to all Tesla's (or at least I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be possible).

This got me thinking; does the lack of (feature) updates hurt the resell value of the "legacy" cars? I always thought of Tesla vehicles as being pretty forward looking and future proofed. If I wanted to sell my car, would the fact that it's not getting full updates cause the price to drop?

Reactions: davekdmd
My "legacy" 2020 MX has been missing out on some updated features lately that I think it should really be able to have. Things like traffic light/speed trap icons in the route planner or new light show routines shouldn't be based on any specific hardware version and should be available to all Tesla's (or at least I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be possible).

This got me thinking; does the lack of (feature) updates hurt the resell value of the "legacy" cars? I always thought of Tesla vehicles as being pretty forward looking and future proofed. If I wanted to sell my car, would the fact that it's not getting full updates cause the price to drop?
Well… Now that you pointed it out, yes. 😁

Can you explain that a little? A three year old car doesn’t get any new updates? I thought the recall software was being pushed down to everyone?

Upvote 0
Can you explain that a little? A three year old car doesn’t get any new updates? I thought the recall software was being pushed down to everyone?
Sure, we get the recall updates and even some of the feature updates, which is great. But we miss a lot of the "fun" stuff or even good to have stuff. For example, my MX doesn't have the blind side feature nor the larger font option. Those are not critical to the function of the vehicle, but they would make it safer to operate. Is there a reason that those features aren't included, besides Tesla didn't want to build/test them? Then there are other, quality of life, features that we're missing. These are things like automatically rolling the windows up when the car locks, or live camera views in the mobile app.

• Informative
Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0
It doesn't get those updates? I didn't know. My 2020 Model 3 does.

I think it doesn't hurt resale value necessarily. What hurts resale value is anything that reduces its desirability. Since most people are unlikely to know that it doesn't get those updates, it's not really going to reduce it's desirability enough to reduce what someone would pay for it.

Sure, there might be a handful of people who know that the car doesn't get those updates, but not enough to reduce the potential buyer pool to the point that it's value would decrease.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: RNHurt
Upvote 0
I like to split Tesla cars into generations:
  • 1st Gen: Roadster - mostly built by another company and electrified by Tesla
  • 2nd Gen: Model S / X (pre-refresh) - mostly built by Tesla with components from other manufactures (windshield wipers, steering column, etc.)
  • 3rd Gen: Model 3 / Y / New S / New X - fully Tesla inside and out, all the latest features (system controlled air vents, phone keys, etc.)
  • 4th Gen: Cybertruck / New Roadster (probably) - next generation components: 48v hardware, Ethernet CAN bus, etc.

Upvote 0
Those generations can be a bit deceiving. The issues you are referring to could be related to the display chip you have in the Model X. There are nearly seasonal changes in your generations, HW1, HW2.0, HW2.5, HW3.0 with radar and USS, HW3.0 without radar and USS, HW4.0. Then the display chip ala Ryzen, Tigra, Intel? I‘m not sure. But those components in Hardware affect the displays In the different Teslas.

So 2024 Model X could be quite different in the “3rd” Generation.

I have a 2018 Model 3, early 3rd gen by your categories, but much less technology that the late 2023 Model 3s of today.

To ”have” the better headlights, HW4, better diecastings of the coming Highland Model 3, I’m tempted to upgrade. But the old Model 3 still gets and benefits from most of the OTAs upgrades. Tough choices when you own a Tesla. Dunno…

And the Model Y is a “perfect” small SUV. So far, still a “forever” car. And of course, a Model X is a stunning car.

just my two cents.

Upvote 0
I like to split Tesla cars into generations:
  • 1st Gen: Roadster - mostly built by another company and electrified by Tesla
  • 2nd Gen: Model S / X (pre-refresh) - mostly built by Tesla with components from other manufactures (windshield wipers, steering column, etc.)
  • 3rd Gen: Model 3 / Y / New S / New X - fully Tesla inside and out, all the latest features (system controlled air vents, phone keys, etc.)
  • 4th Gen: Cybertruck / New Roadster (probably) - next generation components: 48v hardware, Ethernet CAN bus, etc.
Ethernet and CAN bus are two different things.

Upvote 0