Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Gifting / Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had posted earlier, but worthy here for the same subject:

montreid, Today at 6:15 PM
If Musk can get a transfer of rights, doesn't that set precedence on transfers of reservations?

"Ira Ehrenpreis had rights to 1st car as he was 1st to place a full deposit, but gave those rights to me as my 46th bday present. Tks Ira!
5:39 PM - 8 Jul 2017"

I'm looking to transfer/gift to my officemate or daughter's godparents without compensation and still hoping that we can get them in on our current reservations instead of canceling them outright.

--What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Elon could have received the 'first' off the line and still call that and not 'sold' to him. But he made it official with a clear transfer of reservation formality.

A bit of a precedent seems to have been sent. Does this mean we will be able to gift / transfer / sell our spots in line?
No.
I would guess not.... but c'mon the first one was!
No it wasn't.

montreid, Today at 6:15 PM
If Musk can get a transfer of rights, doesn't that set precedence on transfers of reservations?

"Ira Ehrenpreis had rights to 1st car as he was 1st to place a full deposit, but gave those rights to me as my 46th bday present. Tks Ira!
5:39 PM - 8 Jul 2017"

I'm looking to transfer/gift to my officemate or daughter's godparents without compensation and still hoping that we can get them in on our current reservations instead of canceling them outright.

--What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Elon could have received the 'first' off the line and still call that and not 'sold' to him. But he made it official with a clear transfer of reservation formality.
No he didn't.

Interesting ... are transfers to family members allowed?
Nope, at least not without prior permission from Tesla.

No reservation was transferred, no one sold anyone their rights, this is not some special rule for board members. They both had a reservation and when it was time to configure/order the first one they opened it up to Ira, who said "nah, I'll wait". So it went to the second person, Elon, who said "Sure, I'll configure now". This is exactly what will happen when the configurator opens for others and there are options that they want to wait for, whoever is behind them will get the opportunity to move up.

• Disagree
Reactions: b team
Precedent!?!?! Horsepucky. Tesla can do whatever it wants with board/investors/execs/employees on early cars. When they start shipping to us, that's when they will institute a strict process. With 400k reservations (and I predict many more after car is on road and reviewed), they will not have time to arbitrate swaps and squabbles. My guess is that the named reservation holder is the only person they will sell to. You can then give or sell to whomever you want, but transferee won't get tax credit. My guess.

Reactions: MXWing
Actually 2017 Raffle | Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle had received permission to transfer a couple reservations spots.
1. The spots and deposits were donated to a non-profit. 2. The organization that benefited has the same general goals as Tesla. 3. They had a connection to someone with the authority to change a spot. 4. It was for a great cause.

If you can meet those criteria I'm guessing they might let you.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Apparently none of you have ever purchased a home five minutes away from work, and then have the CEO move your office an hour away on a dime with no notice.

CEO wanted HIS commute to be five minutes despite going into that twice a month. 100 employees all saw their commute times increase by 33-100%.

The things people squabble over....
Ouch, that's rough. Would be reason enough for me to start looking for new employment.

Reactions: MXWing
Ira could have bought the car and given it to Elon the same way you would hand me a $3 sandwich. These people don't live in the same world as the rest of us and trying to nitpick some policy details with two people who are investing more money in driving sustainable transportation than we will ever see is kind of silly. IMHO anyway.

Silly to debate the Ira / Elon stuff.

I am in the same boat as literally tens of thousands of reservation holders. Current S owner, 2 resvs for model 3. I want to gift one of my res to my brother in law.

The bottom line is pretty simple. Why would Tesla walk away from literally thousands of sales because of this technicality? Why would they lose the sales? When you do a transfer, it is basically a referral - a program that they currently use as their primary source of advertising.

Do you think Tesla wants a headline du jour that reads "tens of thousands of Model 3 reservations cancelled"?

Reactions: FlatSix911