Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential J1772 Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my point is that if they have to tout that it is able to run for more than two hours, I would not be very confident that it is able to run with continuous operation, which it should be able to do.

I take it the opposite way - that it *is* qualified, that it's not just a simple intermittent, charge-while-at-the-grocery-store affair.

Then why would they say several hours. Poorly written for promotional material IMO. Even the units I see at retail locations do not have a time limit of operation. They are continuous.

The difference here is that you see it as a limitation; they may have intended it the other way -- that theirs is more than just an intermittent, once a week charging affair. The person who wrote it may think that you use your Leaf as a play-toy *shrug*.

We're blessed with a lot of knowledge, and we know that EVSE units are rather simple. Using that knowledge, I'd offer that it's hard to design one to withstand "several hours per day" that couldn't withstand all-day, every-day -- the first thing to break would be the physical hardware of the coupling, the second is likely the contactor -- both are a "number of cycles" type of thing.

And yes, I'd agree the message need to be clearer.

(The last time I charged at the St. Louis airport, the coupling ring on the J1772 connector broke off in my adapter, I left it so that it could be repaired.)