Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrieving PIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how I can retrieve the PIN from my car? I bought it used and the previous owner had no idea there even was a PIN for the car. The last time I had it in the SC I asked them to either tell me what it is or reset it when they were pulling codes. They never did. Now I have times when I can't get in the car for a period of time nor can I change some settings without the PIN. Can I pull this myself? Does the SC have to retrieve it for me? Is there a way to reset it without knowing the current PIN? Looking for any help I can get here...

you need the current PIN to change it. the SC can get it -- i needed them to tell me mine after i bought the car.

i think the only time you need the PIN is for Valet Mode or to PIN Lock it.

if by changing settings needing the PIN you mean, you want to go into the diagnostic menus, the code is "1050" and the same across all Roadsters, not your car's custom PIN.

EDIT: you can also try hacking the PIN, if your tech savy

Last edited:
You might be able to clear the PIN with the previous owner's Tesla login on that car and the password he used at the time. Of course there's a good chance, he's not going to be willing or truthful in giving you the password if he still has a Tesla, because it might be the password he's using now. But worth a try. Or even driving to where he is and letting him punch the info in to the car. Worth a try.

You might be able to clear the PIN with the previous owner's Tesla login on that car and the password he used at the time. Of course there's a good chance, he's not going to be willing or truthful in giving you the password if he still has a Tesla, because it might be the password he's using now. But worth a try. Or even driving to where he is and letting him punch the info in to the car. Worth a try.
This is the Roadster forum. There is no "login" on the Roadster.

i think the only time you need the PIN is for Valet Mode or to PIN Lock it.
A couple of times - when the key remote was not working - I unlocked the door using the keyhole in the bottom of the driver's door. That set off the alarm and put the car into some kind of lockdown. The car asked for the PIN and would not start without it. The good news was after a period of time - not sure how long - this cleared and I could start the car normally.

I'm not sure if this is the only condition where I need the PIN, but it would be nice to have anyway, right?

A couple of times - when the key remote was not working - I unlocked the door using the keyhole in the bottom of the driver's door. That set off the alarm and put the car into some kind of lockdown. The car asked for the PIN and would not start without it. The good news was after a period of time - not sure how long - this cleared and I could start the car normally.

I'm not sure if this is the only condition where I need the PIN, but it would be nice to have anyway, right?

of course. PIN Lock & Valet Mode are useful functions. :)

i unlocked manually once and didn't get the lockdown thing. not sure why or why not.

Last edited: