Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro Fitting Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no cost. If you paid for FSD, you get the new computer and whatever else is necessary to make FSD happen.

I just spoke with a Tesla customer support Rep and they told me that there is no information they have that says they will be retrofitting any older model 3's with the new MCU module. I also mentioned that this is what Elon said in the investor conference call and he said that they have no information on the new MCU that tells them they will be retrofitting this to previous owners. I'm still upset about this because I purchased EAP when I bought the vehicle but did not purchase the FSD. While my vehicle configuration shows that i have EAP on my vehicle my online Tesla account does not show that I purchased EAP. So if I wanted to pay for FSD I would have to pay for EAP and FSD together. I have been trying to get them to fix my account for months now and they just won't do it. I feel like they are holding my account hostage so they can tell me that I needed to purchase FSD before and now it's too late.

Where did you get your information from on the HW3 backfitting older models? Was this from Tesla directly or just from other online articles?

I just spoke with a Tesla customer support Rep and they told me that there is no information they have that says they will be retrofitting any older model 3's with the new MCU module. I also mentioned that this is what Elon said in the investor conference call and he said that they have no information on the new MCU that tells them they will be retrofitting this to previous owners. I'm still upset about this because I purchased EAP when I bought the vehicle but did not purchase the FSD. While my vehicle configuration shows that i have EAP on my vehicle my online Tesla account does not show that I purchased EAP. So if I wanted to pay for FSD I would have to pay for EAP and FSD together. I have been trying to get them to fix my account for months now and they just won't do it. I feel like they are holding my account hostage so they can tell me that I needed to purchase FSD before and now it's too late.

Where did you get your information from on the HW3 backfitting older models? Was this from Tesla directly or just from other online articles?
The EAP option should be listed in your MVPA contract, show it to them

I've also sent email and asked a question on the Tesla site to try and get info about the HW3 update - the $5k seems 'cheap' if there is an attached hardware upgrade but the info is so confusing. Way back (hmm) when I got my car last August everything led me to believe that if I got EAP and FSD then, any needed hardware upgrade would be free. Now that FSD went away and came back, I haven't seen anything specifically saying yes/no to new hardware..

Reactions: KJD
HW2.5 can’t process street/road signs fast enough, so unless they start calling it Full Self Highway Drive (instead) I don’t think they have an option but to upgrade.
Plus if there is no HW3 retrofit after promising it again and again, we’ll lets just say that will be a thread for the ages with pitchforks aplenty.

This is of course the real danger of Elon tweeting. He's technically representing the interests of Tesla when he tweets, but are retrofits actually required? He's lead to believe that it's needed - maybe the rest of Tesla doesn't think so.

Well as I mentioned, my last conversation with both the service center and two customer reps from Tesla say that "my car has everything needed for FSD". I keep asking about the HW3 ability to upgrade and they keep telling me they have no information about that. And repeat the previous statement.

I even asked if I could purchase the new hardware, but again, they don't have any information about that. Not sure why you would specifically mention that changing out the existing hardware to the new hardware is "so easy" if their customer reps know nothing about actually doing that.

It's also mentioned in their investor conference call.

To be clear, all Model 3 cars have the latest MCU. The HW3 upgrade is unrelated. If you have FSD, you will definitely get getting the HW3 upgrade. If you bought FSD with your car (rather than add it after delivery), you'll be one of the first to get the HW3 upgrade.

Well wait a min. The HW3 module i'm talking about is the one that they talked about in the 4th quarter conference call where they had the AI computer division speak to the investors and they told them that the new computer processing hardware could process 2000 frames per second, with full redundancy and room to spare versus the existing hardware that was processing 200 fps. It's supposedly the computer module by the center console that can be easily swapped out.

This new computer was just being tested by only Tesla employees in Jan of 2019. I took delivery of my car in June of 2018 so I can't already have it.

Well wait a min. The HW3 module i'm talking about is the one that they talked about in the 4th quarter conference call where they had the AI computer division speak to the investors and they told them that the new computer processing hardware could process 2000 frames per second, with full redundancy and room to spare versus the existing hardware that was processing 200 fps. It's supposedly the computer module by the center console that can be easily swapped out.

This new computer was just being tested by only Tesla employees in Jan of 2019. I took delivery of my car in June of 2018 so I can't already have it.

It's behind the glove box and passenger lower air bag, up on the firewall. With all of the video connection other various CAN and power connections, it's not super easy to get to. It's probably more like a 30-60 minute swap for someone with some practice.

Correct. You don't have HW3. Media Control Unit (MCU) which you mentioned in one of your posts is a different computer though. Your car has two computers. MCU powers the touchscreen, UI, and apps. The Autopilot computer (HW2.5) controls the self-driving and safety capabilities.

To be clear, all Model 3 cars have the latest MCU. The HW3 upgrade is unrelated. If you have FSD, you will definitely get getting the HW3 upgrade. If you bought FSD with your car (rather than add it after delivery), you'll be one of the first to get the HW3 upgrade.

Please provide a link or other evidence - I want to believe but I can't find any hard confirmations and don't want to pay for FSD until I understand that bit..

Please provide a link or other evidence - I want to believe but I can't find any hard confirmations and don't want to pay for FSD until I understand that bit..
There is a risk anytime you hand over money for a future product. This is the same. I want to believe and have FSD purchased for one of our cars, but not the second. A link to a random statement is very different from a clearly written contract.

Reactions: Msjulie
Elon confirmed on Twitter...

F828BF2C-C1E9-4526-9911-16DCB259C829.png