TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit Gloss Seat Backs?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by kak1154, May 24, 2018.

1. kak1154

kak1154 Member

Is there any way to swap out the current seat backs for the old gloss ones? Buying just the backs? Buying the whole seat? Wrapping the seat back?

I really prefer the glossy look of the old seats. (No kids, so I'm not worried about scratches.)

Sorry if this has been asked before; I didn't find anything in search. My X is in production right now for delivery in June. 7-seater, so I'm guessing this would just be for the driver and passenger seats.

2. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

you will likely have to wrap it.

i say this because the seat-backs have had several different mounting clip variations which would make the gloss backs incompatible with your MX.

• Informative x 1
  3. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Lol, I have the glossy seat backs and have been asking Tesla if I could retrofit the new soft touch seat backs. As @Peteybabes said, the mounting clips are different now so retrofit isn't possible.

• Informative x 1
  4. kak1154

kak1154 Member

Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like wrapping is the only option. Will an Xpel installer be able to do a gloss black wrap? I know they typically do clear PPF.

What about a source for buying the film myself and trying it?

5. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Retrofit is possible as far as I know. I have had a seat replaced. The old glossy seatback was not able to transfer over due to the different mounting clips, but they had a newer version of the glossy backs installed that do fit.

Part# for the Retrofit per my Service Invoice: CVR ASY MX FSB HI GLOSS (1066587-00-A)

• Informative x 2