Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting parking sensors for a new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
curbfeelers-300x240.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Handsome Jack
Guys! I've probably found a solution, I think I'll do that as soon as I get my Tesla

GreenYi-Car-Video-Parking-Sensor-Backup-Radar-5Inch-1080P-Car-Rearview-Interior-DVR-Mirror-Monitor-Recorder.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

So what we see here - a mirror with camera (it's intended to be rear facing but I'll put it in front) and 8 parking sensors - all integrated in the mirror. This will give both front facing camera (see above, why I need it) AND parking sensors.

There is actually an option to avoid having 8 holes in bumper - one camera and 2 parking sensors combo:

View attachment 907569

It'll reduce parking sensors precision significantly and will work in cases like parking to a wall. It's here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003016786760.html

For the rear there is 3 parking sensors in license plate - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049721663.html

So it can be even done with no holes in the bumper.

What I like:

1) All stuff in the interior will be limited to mirror only.
2) If (or when) it fails - nothing visually will be broken (i.e. not like another display that doesn't work or some weird ODB connector to tesla etc)

What do you think of that? I think I'll try it, if I won't find better solution

Auto-Vox and Type S Touring on Amazon has wireless license plate cameras that does not require any power cables.

Last edited:
Guys! I've probably found a solution, I think I'll do that as soon as I get my Tesla

GreenYi-Car-Video-Parking-Sensor-Backup-Radar-5Inch-1080P-Car-Rearview-Interior-DVR-Mirror-Monitor-Recorder.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

So what we see here - a mirror with camera (it's intended to be rear facing but I'll put it in front) and 8 parking sensors - all integrated in the mirror. This will give both front facing camera (see above, why I need it) AND parking sensors.

There is actually an option to avoid having 8 holes in bumper - one camera and 2 parking sensors combo:

View attachment 907569

It'll reduce parking sensors precision significantly and will work in cases like parking to a wall. It's here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003016786760.html

For the rear there is 3 parking sensors in license plate - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049721663.html

What I like:

2) If (or when) it fails - nothing visually will be broken (i.e. not like another display that doesn't work or some weird ODB connector to tesla etc)

That mirror probably won’t fit on a Tesla due to different Mount design, unless it was specifically designed for Tesla

Auto-Vox and Type S Touring on Amazon has wireless license plate cameras that does not require any power cables.
WOW!!!!!!!!

How come it's not pinned or put into FAQ?!

I mean it IS the solution, it's non intrusive, won't void warrenty, it doesn't have parking sensors but still will cover situation in the front.
If I'll get a car without USS I'm totally buying it! There is actually solar powered version of the same camera (battery + solar) which may be even more interesting, but idea is great!

I'm saying if I'll get a car - I decided to wait a bit at least until March 1st - they say that HW4 can bring front facing camera or/and front facing radar so maybe in the end we'll have factory solution to a problem. If it'll be solved - it's worth for me to both wait for the car (at least a few months isn't a problem) and pay more if price increases.
If it'll be introduced in a year or something, I likely to get the car now and will get that wireless camera.

WOW!!!!!!!!

I mean it IS the solution, it's non intrusive, won't void warrenty, it doesn't have parking sensors but still will cover situation in the front.
If I'll get a car without USS I'm totally buying it! There is actually solar powered version of the same camera (battery + solar) which may be even more interesting, but idea is great!

I'm saying if I'll get a car - I decided to wait a bit at least until March 1st - they say that HW4 can bring front facing camera or/and front facing radar so maybe in the end we'll have factory solution to a problem. If it'll be solved - it's worth for me to both wait for the car (at least a few months isn't a problem) and pay more if price increases.
If it'll be introduced in a year or something, I likely to get the car now and will get that wireless camera.
I’m sure no one will ever steal that lol…. How did you ever drive a car before they sensors and things?!

WOW!!!!!!!!

Yes, HW4 is rumored to have parking cameras (radar I think is irrelevant to your situation, it is highly unlikely to be useful for parking). If it is an option, I would delay your order until HW4 comes out.

How did you ever drive a car before they sensors and things?!
Like with everything, before an iPhone we used large cassette bulky cameras to record video - it wasn't convenient but was the only way.

Before autopilot we have driven ourselves, subjecting to large amount of tiredness and higher risk of getting into a crash (like drifting out of the lane, or getting tired and not noticing danger in time etc)

Before sensors and 360 cameras parking was just taking more time, much more effort, more focus and was more stressful - I've experienced that myself when went back from Tesla to Rav-4 (that has sensors and 360 parking camera) - I have extremely narrow entrance to parking garage and with Tesla it was painfully slow and somewhat stressful experience, where I had to inch and focus to estimate car's location. And that's WITH parking sensors!

Garage looks something like this:

entrance-to-underground-car-park-D4381F.jpg

So you need to look not only front and back but also at the sides

With Rav4 it was so effortless that I've barely noticed it - you just see how close you are to an obstacle

People who have no parking sensors and cameras - they actually asks a stuff of that garage to go to the car and guide them how to enter or exit (very annoying as you need to wait 1-2 minutes behind them)

Tesla still worth it for me as parking is taking 0.1-0.5% of time in the car, so stress is limited and reduced stress from autopilot and more space in Tesla so no need to stress trying to stuff a car with your things is a worthy trade off for stress during parking.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for reply!
So conclusion, no one knows if it can be retrofitted.

Do you perhaps can recommend how can I find it out? I don't know where to write to and I doubt that call center worker will know answer.

Re: advices and alternatives:

1) To buy another car - this was actually my initial intention, but, I'm living in Europe, and most of cars here that I'm willing to consider has 1.5-2 years of waiting time. In addition, tesla is cheaper after recent price drop.

Used cars - 2 years old costs about as new and in addition to that, I'm buying a car for a company - I have more tax advantages and better financing for a brand new car than used ones.

3-5 years old car still super expensive and largely doesn't have required asistence systems.

2) To buy used tesla model y - problem that in Europe we've recently opened giga factory in Berlin (Germany), so new cars will be german made, used cars were build in China and shipped here. For me it's no brainer - I'm not buying Chinese made vehicle.
Hi. I face a similiar dilema, and all the reasons your quote are the ones that also brought me to the Model Y. Also looked at the Mustang (but no heat pump), EV6 GT (but long lead times and more interface), Mercedes (but hate all the buttons and sparkle inside), etc etc. I'm also a business buyer so need to buy new. I was due to collect my MYP tomorrow but a cock up with the finance has delayed this. Wondering whether I should wait for HW4 (understand it may not have additional cameras, but should come with Radar from the outset). Probably be waiting forever though. So I'll see what the announcement on 1st March shows and go from there. It's annoying though... The MY is the best EV for my purposes, and if the cameras can deal with the parking in due course, then great. But the lack of right now is annoying for sure. Whether it's a deal-breaker, I don't know (hey, I was due to collect tomorrow anyway)!

Yes, HW4 is rumored to have parking cameras (radar I think is irrelevant to your situation, it is highly unlikely to be useful for parking). If it is an option, I would delay your order until HW4 comes out.
Good point about Radar. I was thinking that given the reports that HW4 won't ship with additional cameras initially, that the radar would deal with the front obstacles in the meantime. Maybe not? Hopefully the updated software that's been promised for Tesla Vision will solve the issue anyway.

Like with everything, before an iPhone we used large cassette bulky cameras to record video - it wasn't convenient but was the only way.

Before autopilot we have driven ourselves, subjecting to large amount of tiredness and higher risk of getting into a crash (like drifting out of the lane, or getting tired and not noticing danger in time etc)

Before sensors and 360 cameras parking was just taking more time, much more effort, more focus and was more stressful - I've experienced that myself when went back from Tesla to Rav-4 (that has sensors and 360 parking camera) - I have extremely narrow entrance to parking garage and with Tesla it was painfully slow and somewhat stressful experience, where I had to inch and focus to estimate car's location. And that's WITH parking sensors!

Garage looks something like this:

entrance-to-underground-car-park-D4381F.jpg

So you need to look not only front and back but also at the sides

With Rav4 it was so effortless that I've barely noticed it - you just see how close you are to an obstacle

People who have no parking sensors and cameras - they actually asks a stuff of that garage to go to the car and guide them how to enter or exit (very annoying as you need to wait 1-2 minutes behind them)

Tesla still worth it for me as parking is taking 0.1-0.5% of time in the car, so stress is limited and reduced stress from autopilot and more space in Tesla so no need to stress trying to stuff a car with your things is a worthy trade off for stress during parking.
I'm coming to a similar conclusion. It's a pain not having parking sensors, but hopefully the software updates will help and it's a small part of the overall exprience. Nothing else seems to tick so many boxes as the MYP

Good point about Radar. I was thinking that given the reports that HW4 won't ship with additional cameras initially, that the radar would deal with the front obstacles in the meantime. Maybe not? Hopefully the updated software that's been promised for Tesla Vision will solve the issue anyway.
There is zero indication radar would be used for parking situations and I'm not aware of any OEM using radar for this purpose. The latest update to the rumor is that pictures of the Model S/X supposedly with HW4 don't have new camera positions (there are new camera units in the existing locations). People are expecting the event next week to have more updates though, and perhaps an announcement.

The official story is Tesla will use the occupancy network (which works with existing cameras just fine) to deal with front obstacles. It has persistence so it'll be able to deal even with things in its blind spot, as long as it has spotted it with one of the cameras as it approached.

Hello,

I'm about to order Tesla Model Y, however I'm a bit torn on parking sensors.
I'm from europe and we have REALLY tight parking here, when parking I'm approaching 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) close to an obstacle
I probably will manage without parking sensors by just not parking in many places or going back and forth 5-10 times instead of 2-3.

So wondering, will it be possible to buy front and rear bumper with parking sensors and connect it to the car? (maybe from a salvaged car but can be new)

I understand I can do third party sensors but would really like to have them integrated with tesla instead

I can spend few thousands $ on that - for me it'll worth it

Thanks for any suggestions!
Tesla of course makes the USS parts available for repairs, etc.
But since your VIN determines what equipment is in Tesla's database for your vehicle, software for USS would not be delivered even if you ordered the parts.

So it's third party kit, or wait for Tesla to implement Vision-based sensing.
It'll happen, but no one outside Tesla knows when. Anyone suggesting a timeframe is just guessing or thinking wishfully.

HW4 isn't likely in the Model Y or M3 any time soon.
Recall - the HW4 reviewed online came out of a MX.
MS and MX will get it first; when CT goes into production it will have it. Those buyers are likely better candidates for FSD as well.

My guess is MY and M3 won't get it until HW4 PCB supply loosens up. Several months at best. Radar may or may not come with it for MY M3.

View attachment 907569

What I like:

The number plate one is interesting, for the front at least

For what it's worth, we still don't know how good the camera-only "parking sensors" are going to be yet on the 2023 models, since the software hasn't enabled it.

It might be surprisingly good. I won't hold my breath, but you never know. 😁 Certainly worth waiting for if this is one of the main considerations you have when buying a Tesla.

In any case, you've still got a backup camera in the rear so you can get as close as you want, and still have visibility. The front is a different story though.

A nice little YT highlighting the ineffectiveness of Tesla Vision at slow speeds / parking. Tesla's own website says that Tesla Vision is only suitable up to 20cm (and with several other restrictions): Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

The lack of USS is a bugger and could lead to costly repairs. I think I'm going to go ahead with my order regardless and do more reverse parking and just try to avoid multi-storey car parks for now. May trade in for an upgraded model later. Just goes to show that no EV is perfect (yet).

HW4 isn't likely in the Model Y or M3 any time soon.
Recall - the HW4 reviewed online came out of a MX.
MS and MX will get it first; when CT goes into production it will have it. Those buyers are likely better candidates for FSD as well.

My guess is MY and M3 won't get it until HW4 PCB supply loosens up. Several months at best. Radar may or may not come with it for MY M3.
I think you're probably right. The FSD isn't an issue for me (ESD is enough) but the parking in the UK is more problematic, but there doesn't appear to be a solution to this and I can't find a better car for the money right now (despite this flaw).

There is zero indication radar would be used for parking situations and I'm not aware of any OEM using radar for this purpose. The latest update to the rumor is that pictures of the Model S/X supposedly with HW4 don't have new camera positions (there are new camera units in the existing locations). People are expecting the event next week to have more updates though, and perhaps an announcement.

The official story is Tesla will use the occupancy network (which works with existing cameras just fine) to deal with front obstacles. It has persistence so it'll be able to deal even with things in its blind spot, as long as it has spotted it with one of the cameras as it approached.
Got it. Thanks for this. Reassuring and will wait for the updates and continue to enjoy the rest of the vehicle, when I eventually get it! :)

I think you're probably right. The FSD isn't an issue for me (ESD is enough) but the parking in the UK is more problematic, but there doesn't appear to be a solution to this and I can't find a better car for the money right now (despite this flaw).
If you're looking for an EV, my biased opinion is there is no other solution that offers good value for money.
There are too many caveats with all the other offerings. Not to mention availability...(and try to find one without a 'market adjustment')

You are correct, if FSD isn't of interest, then HW4 is essentially meaningless. Some might argue depreciation, but.....meh.

The camera idea in other posts on this thread for under $200 USD (Amazon and other places) might be a good temporary solution.
You do have to pay attention to where the nose of the car is, since it slopes off quickly and you cannot see it directly.
Spatial relations !! ;-)

I've got a car and actually followed the advice with the wireless camera, I've bought this thing:

Installed it, no wiring needed and can confirm it works relatively well, it definitely helps with parking, however on my previous car - Toyota RAV4, the front camera could help you see on sides when you exit narrow street or a garage which exit crosses sidewalk and you have no visibility - this one doesn't do that, only parking.

It looks like this:

20230806_185238~2.jpg

20230806_185243~2.jpg

20230806_185218.jpg

We have tight spaces in Europe so with that's help I'm able to park like this:

20230816_111707~2.jpg

There is no way I could park with vision only like that

Currently I barely use vision, mostly just looking into mirrors and 4 cameras, I would prefer to have USS but that also works