Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting parking sensors for a new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm about to order Tesla Model Y, however I'm a bit torn on parking sensors.
I'm from europe and we have REALLY tight parking here, when parking I'm approaching 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) close to an obstacle
I probably will manage without parking sensors by just not parking in many places or going back and forth 5-10 times instead of 2-3.

So wondering, will it be possible to buy front and rear bumper with parking sensors and connect it to the car? (maybe from a salvaged car but can be new)

I understand I can do third party sensors but would really like to have them integrated with tesla instead

I can spend few thousands $ on that - for me it'll worth it

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hello,

I'm about to order Tesla Model Y, however I'm a bit torn on parking sensors.
I'm from europe and we have REALLY tight parking here, when parking I'm approaching 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) close to an obstacle
I probably will manage without parking sensors by just not parking in many places or going back and forth 5-10 times instead of 2-3.

So wondering, will it be possible to buy front and rear bumper with parking sensors and connect it to the car? (maybe from a salvaged car but can be new)

I understand I can do third party sensors but would really like to have them integrated with tesla instead

I can spend few thousands $ on that - for me it'll worth it

Thanks for any suggestions!

I doubt this would work (but dont know for sure). I think its likely that the vehicle configuration would need to be changed in software, so you might need to find someone who can do that, or if its possible.

If parking sensors is a must have feature, you are MUCH MUCH MUCH better off simply buying a vehicle that has said feature already. You may like the car, but if you are considering doing something like this, it is not "fit for purpose" for you, and you should buy something that is.

I love my Tesla…am at a point where I probably just wouldn't be another car brand in general (maybe Rivian or Mercedes EQS), but in my case I need parking sensors as well and frankly I'd just wait until they add the features back, one way or another. I simply wouldn't buy the car.

Reactions: VegasMYP
For what it's worth, we still don't know how good the camera-only "parking sensors" are going to be yet on the 2023 models, since the software hasn't enabled it.

It might be surprisingly good. I won't hold my breath, but you never know. 😁 Certainly worth waiting for if this is one of the main considerations you have when buying a Tesla.

In any case, you've still got a backup camera in the rear so you can get as close as you want, and still have visibility. The front is a different story though.

I love my Tesla…am at a point where I probably just wouldn't be another car brand in general (maybe Rivian or Mercedes EQS), but in my case I need parking sensors as well and frankly I'd just wait until they add the features back, one way or another. I simply wouldn't buy the car.

My recommendation for purchasing stuff (not just cars) is "always buy something on the features it has now, and whether they are what you want. Never depend on any sort of "update" to happen to deliver some functionality you consider to be necessary for the product."

If parking sensors are a must have for someone, they should either not purchase this vehicle, or wait until its been proven to work for this vehicle. Parking sensors are not a mandatory feature for everyone, but some people consider them to be so, and everyone has to make decisions with their own money based on their wants / needs.

The OP would be better off looking for a used tesla that had the USS sensors if one is available, than trying to buy new and spending more money to try to hack it on there.

Thanks everyone for reply!
So conclusion, no one knows if it can be retrofitted.

Do you perhaps can recommend how can I find it out? I don't know where to write to and I doubt that call center worker will know answer.

Re: advices and alternatives:

1) To buy another car - this was actually my initial intention, but, I'm living in Europe, and most of cars here that I'm willing to consider has 1.5-2 years of waiting time. In addition, tesla is cheaper after recent price drop.

Used cars - 2 years old costs about as new and in addition to that, I'm buying a car for a company - I have more tax advantages and better financing for a brand new car than used ones.

3-5 years old car still super expensive and largely doesn't have required asistence systems.

2) To buy used tesla model y - problem that in Europe we've recently opened giga factory in Berlin (Germany), so new cars will be german made, used cars were build in China and shipped here. For me it's no brainer - I'm not buying Chinese made vehicle.

Just an update - I've been to tesla service, and they said that retrofit isn't possible :(

It's not question of bumpers and sensors only - there is hardware inside a car, including computer to process signals from those sensors - that's just missing in newer cars.

Probably you can still retrofit if to buy and install used hardware, but, I'm not certain it'll work and it likely to violate warranty, so no go for a new car.

There were more issue with the car with autopilot constantly banning me for not holding a wheel when my hands were on the wheel - but I've end up solving it ( Cannot use autopilot for more than 15-30 minutes )

I'm going forward with purchase and I'm just accepting that parking will be painful and I'll probably need to do much more repairs to painting and body than I usually have (none).

And will do 2 things going forward:

1) Will sell my TMY and buy a new one as soon as (or if..) Tesla introduced proper 360 degree view that require front facing camera on the bumper. I'll consider switching if tesla bring back parking sensors or implement like radar in the front that can also work on very short distances.

2) I'll be eyeing market for a new cars, currently, all cars have wait time 1-2 years in Europe, when this changes I may switch to another car that has all bells and whistles I need and enough space, likely ICE (ICE just works well with my use case - I don't drive in the city and if drive I drive rather longer distances, however, Tesla works for that as well).

Reactions: zoomer0056
Just an update - I've been to tesla service, and they said that retrofit isn't possible :(

It's not question of bumpers and sensors only - there is hardware inside a car, including computer to process signals from those sensors - that's just missing in newer cars.

Probably you can still retrofit if to buy and install used hardware, but, I'm not certain it'll work and it likely to violate warranty, so no go for a new car.

There were more issue with the car with autopilot constantly banning me for not holding a wheel when my hands were on the wheel - but I've end up solving it ( Cannot use autopilot for more than 15-30 minutes )

I'm going forward with purchase and I'm just accepting that parking will be painful and I'll probably need to do much more repairs to painting and body than I usually have (none).

1) Will sell my TMY and buy a new one as soon as (or if..) Tesla introduced proper 360 degree view that require front facing camera on the bumper. I'll consider switching if tesla bring back parking sensors or implement like radar in the front that can also work on very short distances.

2) I'll be eyeing market for a new cars, currently, all cars have wait time 1-2 years in Europe, when this changes I may switch to another car that has all bells and whistles I need and enough space, likely ICE (ICE just works well with my use case - I don't drive in the city and if drive I drive rather longer distances, however, Tesla works for that as well).
It's a very expensive proposition to sell your car quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zoomer0056
It's a very expensive proposition to sell your car quickly.
Yeah, I'll loose probably $5000-$8000 but for me it'll worth it.
I actually was considering Tesla before for a long time but no 360 degree camera was a deal breaker for me, I was checking Tesla each 6-12 to see if the feature was added or not. If it were - I probably would've bought it already. Currently my requirements changed and more trunk space became a deal breaker and model Y is quite good at that.
I'm probably in a minority, in Europe we have a lot of situation where parking garage exists to the street in this way:
348s.jpg

When you driving from such narrow driveways you just cannot physically see anyone with your eyeballs (quoting tesla support, they suggested to use those instead of parking sensors).
Front facing camera (in the bumper) in this case makes life so much easier, safer and much less stressful. To say nothing about space constraints and need to park in very tight spots.

curious. if you were able to purchase brand new working USSs and have them installed on a 2023 model y, how much would you pay?
If you mean OEM o they'll be integrated with the car and car's entertainment - It's not possible to install currently, I've asked at tesla service - they said that problem not only in sensors itself but that there is no computer that processes those sensors, no wiring etc.
I bet it's still possible to install at third party facilities by retrofitting everything, there is a small chance that it still may not work (if hardware changes were made to make it impossible to connect USS computer) but I'm afraid it'll be too intrusive and can make issues with warranty.

If you mean to install third party USSs like one bought on Amazon, that will or will not have a separate display of some sort and will be beeping when approaching to an obsticle - shouldn't be much, probably a few hundred $

Why don't you just buy a low km, "as new", MY that has USS?

curious. if you were able to purchase brand new working USSs and have them installed on a 2023 model y, how much would you pay?
If you mean OEM o they'll be integrated with the car and car's entertainment - It's not possible to install currently, I've asked at tesla service - they said that problem not only in sensors itself but that there is no computer that processes those sensors, no wiring etc.
I bet it's still possible to install at third party facilities by retrofitting everything, there is a small chance that it still may not work (if hardware changes were made to make it impossible to connect USS computer) but I'm afraid it'll be too intrusive and can make issues with warranty.

If you mean to install third party USSs like one bought on Amazon, that will or will not have a separate display of some sort and will be beeping when approaching to an obsticle - shouldn't be much, probably a few hundred $

Guys! I've probably found a solution, I think I'll do that as soon as I get my Tesla

GreenYi-Car-Video-Parking-Sensor-Backup-Radar-5Inch-1080P-Car-Rearview-Interior-DVR-Mirror-Monitor-Recorder.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

So what we see here - a mirror with camera (it's intended to be rear facing but I'll put it in front) and 8 parking sensors - all integrated in the mirror. This will give both front facing camera (see above, why I need it) AND parking sensors.

There is actually an option to avoid having 8 holes in bumper - one camera and 2 parking sensors combo:

1676491093101.png

It'll reduce parking sensors precision significantly and will work in cases like parking to a wall. It's here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003016786760.html

For the rear there is 3 parking sensors in license plate - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049721663.html

So it can be even done with no holes in the bumper.

What I like:

1) All stuff in the interior will be limited to mirror only.
2) If (or when) it fails - nothing visually will be broken (i.e. not like another display that doesn't work or some weird ODB connector to tesla etc)

What do you think of that? I think I'll try it, if I won't find better solution

Reactions: zpaul