Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting parking sensors for a new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a car and actually followed the advice with the wireless camera, I've bought this thing:

Installed it, no wiring needed and can confirm it works relatively well, it definitely helps with parking, however on my previous car - Toyota RAV4, the front camera could help you see on sides when you exit narrow street or a garage which exit crosses sidewalk and you have no visibility - this one doesn't do that, only parking.

It looks like this:

View attachment 965436

View attachment 965437

View attachment 965438

We have tight spaces in Europe so with that's help I'm able to park like this:

View attachment 965439

There is no way I could park with vision only like that

Currently I barely use vision, mostly just looking into mirrors and 4 cameras, I would prefer to have USS but that also works
Good job. But what about the guy in front. How is he gonna get out without a camera? That close of parking is putting your car at risk.

> Good job. But what about the guy in front. How is he gonna get out without a camera? That close of parking is putting your car at risk.

Frankly I was in a hurry and forgot to check, but normally I check so to ensure the car in front or back has enough space in opposite direction to exit parking space.
It's rather OK in Europe, we just don't have parking spaces big enough. This why parking aid is so important here - without front camera I would just had to serach a different space and it'll likely be much further away form the place I needed to visit.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I've got a car and actually followed the advice with the wireless camera, I've bought this thing:

Installed it, no wiring needed and can confirm it works relatively well, it definitely helps with parking, however on my previous car - Toyota RAV4, the front camera could help you see on sides when you exit narrow street or a garage which exit crosses sidewalk and you have no visibility - this one doesn't do that, only parking.

It looks like this:

View attachment 965436

View attachment 965437

View attachment 965438

We have tight spaces in Europe so with that's help I'm able to park like this:

View attachment 965439

There is no way I could park with vision only like that

Currently I barely use vision, mostly just looking into mirrors and 4 cameras, I would prefer to have USS but that also works
Is there a version that ships to the USA? Also the size looks like it's made for the european license plates. The USA one are not as wide. How did you mount it? Thanks.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Is there a version that ships to the USA? Also the size looks like it's made for the european license plates. The USA one are not as wide. How did you mount it? Thanks.
Aliexpress should ship worldwide, including USA, unless there is some new barriers that I'm not aware of

Image indeed shows EU license plate but the frame of camera itself looks to me like US plate - at least bottom part of it, much narrower than EU plate, but not as tall - which I screwed behind my EU license plate. I don't have photos of that unfortunatelly, I hope explanation makes sense :)

They ship license plate frame which was EU in my case but it's generic part, not specific to camera.

And as berserk mentioned it's just a wireless solar powered backup camera, you probably could get it locally as well

Aliexpress should ship worldwide, including USA, unless there is some new barriers that I'm not aware of

Image indeed shows EU license plate but the frame of camera itself looks to me like US plate - at least bottom part of it, much narrower than EU plate, but not as tall - which I screwed behind my EU license plate. I don't have photos of that unfortunatelly, I hope explanation makes sense :)

They ship license plate frame which was EU in my case but it's generic part, not specific to camera.

And as berserk mentioned it's just a wireless solar powered backup camera, you probably could get it locally as well
After some doing some more searches I did find a US model:

Just wanted to update - I'm using this thing for 3-4 months already, and I'm totally satisfied. Still not perfect but helps a lot seeing right in front of the car - either to park closely (not only to another car to block it but to a wall for example), to clear some obstacle or see a curb. Also, it even helps with front visibility a bit when exiting some tight space and you cannot see left or right from driver position.

I wish tesla will embed it but until that time comes - this is acceptable solution and I'll be installing it on my new Tesla (looking forward updated TMY with ventilated seats)

Guys! I've probably found a solution, I think I'll do that as soon as I get my Tesla

GreenYi-Car-Video-Parking-Sensor-Backup-Radar-5Inch-1080P-Car-Rearview-Interior-DVR-Mirror-Monitor-Recorder.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

So what we see here - a mirror with camera (it's intended to be rear facing but I'll put it in front) and 8 parking sensors - all integrated in the mirror. This will give both front facing camera (see above, why I need it) AND parking sensors.

There is actually an option to avoid having 8 holes in bumper - one camera and 2 parking sensors combo:

View attachment 907569

It'll reduce parking sensors precision significantly and will work in cases like parking to a wall. It's here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003016786760.html

For the rear there is 3 parking sensors in license plate - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049721663.html

So it can be even done with no holes in the bumper.

What I like:

1) All stuff in the interior will be limited to mirror only.
2) If (or when) it fails - nothing visually will be broken (i.e. not like another display that doesn't work or some weird ODB connector to tesla etc)

What do you think of that? I think I'll try it, if I won't find better solution
Hat is the status did you installed this option? I am also very un satisfied about he parking sensors had a collision already you dont hear a very loud sound when you need it as normal in my previoes car would like Tesla had an inprvemend option!!