Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return rights on Used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 18 month old M3 SR+ a couple of months ago through Tesla direct - there are a few things i'm not happy with and wondering if anyone knows what the return policy is on a used car bought direct from Tesla?

Is there a period you can return the car for a full refund or would you have to go through the whole selling process from scratch?

If it's been two months then you are going to need to sell it or PX it.

If there are faults you are entitled to have them fixed and if its not repairable or reasonably unacceptable after the repair then you would have a right to a refund or replacement. The fault would need to be outside the normal expected condition of a used vehicle though, Tesla have some wording that defines this that you will have accepted when you bought the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Have a read of the consumer Act, your rights are well protected. The Act says If you have a fault within 6 months of purchase the fault is deemed to have been present at the point of sale and your entitled to have that repaired. (unless the seller can prove the fault wasn't present at the point of sale)
The repairer gets one chance to rectify the issue - if the repair fails you are entitled to a full refund and reject the vehicle.

It has to be a fault - not something you personally don't like or not happy with if what its doing is what its supposed to do by design. Have a read and see if the legislation fits your circumstances.
All traders know about the act but still try it on - its common for garages to supply a vehicle with a 3 month warranty but the Act means you always get 6 months and don't need to spend a penny to have that.

There's a handy consumer rights summary here:

Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 13.28.43.png

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
A very good mate of mine is selling his M3 solely because he can’t use it for 20 mins when he has a SW update. I’ve explained that it can be scheduled for X time but “what if I need to drive?” Is the reply. He still has his phone that does software updates……
That's ridiculous. Surely that's a smokescreen for something else?

Reactions: Rooster6655
I purchased a 18 month old M3 SR+ a couple of months ago through Tesla direct - there are a few things i'm not happy with and wondering if anyone knows what the return policy is on a used car bought direct from Tesla?

Is there a period you can return the car for a full refund or would you have to go through the whole selling process from scratch?
You should say what you aren't happy about, if its software or preference related then its going to be struggle!