Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return to Power: the 2013 Tesla Model S - Road & Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The part about pulling fuses cracked me up, with all the tire smoking pictures included in the article :biggrin:
And I guess the writer is factually wrong about the seat memory missing?

Edit: the vehicle log will probably show some "driving in circles on a parking lot" as well, but slightly different this time :wink:

Last edited:
Great review. Not quite finished reading it yet, but "The Model S's power seats don't have a memory setting."

Whuh?

- - - Updated - - -

Another super-minor quibble:

Road and Track said:
The Model S has no ignition switch-the car turns on and is ready to go when you sit in the driver's seat and hit the brake pedal-and that means you can't easily turn it off when, say, you're sitting in the car waiting for someone and don't want the climate control or radio on.

Power off button?

I think Tesla would be well off to start advertising a faster than 4.4 0-60 time for the performance model. To performance buyers, that number really means something--and shaving off a few tenths...to 4.1, as several magazines have achieved--would probably be measurably beneficial to sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Road & Track said:
Beautiful, well-crafted, cool, and seriously fast, the Model S isn't just the most important car of the year. It's the most important car America has made in an entire lifetime.

For a respected, gear-head auto magazine to write that is a really big deal.

Best line is " Tesla is wrong. Our car did the deed in 4.1 seconds. "

I disagree. The best line is: "When you're in a supercar-fast electric car like the Tesla, the driving experience is an odd cognitive mash-up-somewhere between shouting Greenpeace-approved obscenities at Toyota Priuses and dusting Corvettes from stoplights on a cruise night."

- - - Updated - - -

Many of their gripes are simply wrong! It does have seat memory via the driver profiles. Cargo cover is just backordered. It's easy to turn off the car from the touchscreen. Someone needs to read the manual. (What's with the comment about weak headlights?)

Funny that they hated the door handles.

I have never seen Road & Track make such a bold statement in the 30 or more years I have read this magazine:

"Beautiful, well-crafted, cool, and seriously fast, the Model S isn't just the most important car of the year. It's the most important car America has made in an entire lifetime."

Sorry folks - my favorite quote was: "Traction control is partially defeatable, but stability control isn't-unless you take drastic moves like cutting wires or pulling fuses. We're not going to admit to either, but in the hypothetical event that we did pull a fuse to facilitate a photo, we'd be able to report that the Model S is nearly neutral at its limit and supremely easy to drift."

LOL

Comment on battery replacement assumes that in 10 years the car's range would be untenable. With 177 worst case miles with a loss of 2% a year makes the new 144 range worst case.

A lot less range but hardly a requirement to replace.

Comment on battery replacement assumes that in 10 years the car's range would be untenable. With 177 worst case miles with a loss of 2% a year makes the new 144 range worst case.

I agree. Assuming the car still is in ok condition otherwise, I think you'll see EVs like that being moved to people as more of a commuter car since over 100 miles would work for many people still.

I would agree with you if the battery degradation was linear, that is to say a constant loss of 2% each year for 10 years. But I very much doubt that it is like this.
It it was like this nobody would get the second battery replacement because after 10 years the battery would be still ok. Right?