Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return to Power: the 2013 Tesla Model S - Road & Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that 2% is compounded amount and that drop is based on Tesla's predicted loss numbers and is by real world high mileage Roadster battery decline.

By "OK" we are saying that many will not choose to abandon a battery just because the range has dropped. A car that can drive over 100 miles on an old battery will work fine for many without the need to buy a new one.

Dear Road & Track,

Please include this review in a print edition and make it available on newsstands. I'd like to reward you for your efforts (by buying a few)... and I'd like another magazine cover for my collection.

;)

It seems to me that perhaps they were reviewing a car with a pre 4.x version of the software. Two of their little niggles, the door handles and the memory seats, were fixed with 4.0. With the availability of driver profiles and door handles that extend on approach those little complaints do away.

POI: they had a car with leather because they had a Performance version (see the 0-60 time).

we seriously dislike only one thing about the Tesla Model S: its exterior door handles. They look like chrome towel bars in a chic hotel bathroom, and they electrically retract fully for better aerodynamic performance, but they annoyed us to no end. Not only do the handles extend slowly (or not at all) when you walk up and press them, but the computer then requires a split second to unlatch the doors after you pull on the handle. Invariably, this makes you look like a would-be car thief who took one too many muscle relaxants. And given the Model S's ability to attract crowds, it's all the more embarrassing. There is a special place in hell reserved for the engineer of those door handles.

They sure didn't like the door handles. I personally really love the shape and how they recess.

How do you downgrade to textile seats in a performance model S? leather is standard as would be the memory for seats - sounds rather like they just didn't know everything about the car given a few other things he didn't like but got those wrong too.
This is a press car so it doesn't have to follow any package conventions. It should, but doesn't have to. Could have been a beta or marketing car that had textile seats as a test or demo but also had a perf drivetrain.

Just what I have been thinking for a long time. Body colored door handles would look really elegant.

I think there should also be the option to have the faux black front grille painted in body color. That would make the car really distinctive and instantly recognizable as an EV, should you wish to make it so. Anybody here with photoshop skills to show us what that would look like? :smile:

They're a little bluer for the black edge than I'd like (weak editing skills) but it turned out decent overall.

Handles matched to body color
HandlesMatched.jpg

Handles removed
HandlesRemoved.jpg

Would body colored handles that disappear into the doors be hard to find????? Especially for those of use who do not have the tech package? I don't have my non-tech P85, but I understand my door handles do not auto present. So, my white car with white handles recessed into the white doors might be tough to find in the dark.

Would body colored handles that disappear into the doors be hard to find????? Especially for those of use who do not have the tech package? I don't have my non-tech P85, but I understand my door handles do not auto present. So, my white car with white handles recessed into the white doors might be tough to find in the dark.

I have a car with body colored handles that are flush with the car. I must say I have never had a problem finding them, day or night...... it think it is more an accent tesla wants to put on the handles now in the beginning and they help to take away some of the visual weight of the door panel.

They'd have to stock a lot more parts if they went that way, as they'd need a separate handle assembly part for each color. The body colored insert behind the handle is a separate piece, which is retained when you swap out the handles.

for having to stock more parts. that would be two or three more parts numbers as the visible parts would be painted along with the body so not really a hugh supply problem.