Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveal Part 3 - AR Glasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, Tesla wont offer their own AR glasses, there are better corporations which will deliver them (like Apple/Magic Leap). By the year 2018 the first AR glasses will hit market and people start buying them. The M3 will have no HUD or anything, just the center console for people without any AR glasses to see the speedometer. However when you enter the vehicle with your AR glasses, the Tesla application will kick in and you will see all the dashboard info right in front of your face. In 2020 the AR glasses will become mainstream and by 2025 there will be more people wearing AR glasses then smartphones today. Tesla knows this and therefore plans to make M3 interior as it is. There will be no major changes to interior, just the added support for 3rd party AR glasses.

Absolutely not.

The M3 will have no HUD or anything, just the center console for people without any AR glasses to see the speedometer.
Absolutely not.

Why not?

People keep forgetting that Model 3 needs to be cheap and easy to manufacture.
It will only use proven technology and parts in good supply. So AR is definitely out of the question.

HUD does not make much sense either. Model 3 prototype works and drives perfectly fine as it is, why would you need the extra expense and complexity of a HUD? I simply cannot see any rationale for a HUD on the base model. Perhaps as an optional upgrade, maybe. But with HUD not visible when using polarized glass (and those which works with polarized glass are exponentially more expensive), it is more of a niche high tech gimmicks rather than essential instrument.

Do note that I have been driving a BMW with full color HUDs for the past few years, so I know very well the pros and cons of a HUD. And a well implemented HUD system like the BMW's is not cheap.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
It will only use proven technology and parts in good supply. So AR is definitely out of the question.
TI DLP tech has been around for a few years, is brighter, and doesn't have polarization issues.... At least according to Texas Instruments.

AR is only a matter of software on top of a full color HUD (since the camera and radar systems will already be present). ok... you need eye tracking hardware too, but some cars have had that for years.

Consider this... For a HUD you need a wedge shaped interlayer film for the glass. We know Tesla is doing all sorts of things with glass right now and specifically with regards to the optical properties as evidenced in the solar roof launch, Model X ghosting (which can be caused by manufacturing issues during glass lamination), the Model 3 launch engineers mentioning about the special properties of glass layers.

Nearly all major manufacturers have demonstrated or made public videos showing their vision of the future including full color AR holographic displays with eye tracking. These aren't your run of the mill HUDs.

Instead of incremental improvements over several model years, Tesla could simply be trying to deliver everyone's vision of the future today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
Why not?

People keep forgetting that Model 3 needs to be cheap and easy to manufacture.

HUD does not make much sense either. Model 3 prototype works and drives perfectly fine as it is, why would you need the extra expense and complexity of a HUD? I simply cannot see any rationale for a HUD on the base model. Perhaps as an optional upgrade, maybe. But with HUD not visible when using polarized glass (and those which works with polarized glass are exponentially more expensive), it is more of a niche high tech gimmicks rather than essential instrument.

Do note that I have been driving a BMW with full color HUDs for the past few years, so I know very well the pros and cons of a HUD. And a well implemented HUD system like the BMW's is not cheap.

Why do I think Tesla will not sell a vehicle that can only be driven if somebody wears specialty headwear?

Is that a serious question?

TI DLP tech has been around for a few years, is brighter, and doesn't have polarization issues.... At least according to Texas Instruments.

Yes, as I said, it is many times more expensive than LCD based HUD.
No car manufacturer is using it - that tells you something.

Nearly all major manufacturers have demonstrated or made public videos showing their vision of the future including full color AR holographic displays with eye tracking. These aren't your run of the mill HUDs.
Instead of incremental improvements over several model years, Tesla could simply be trying to deliver everyone's vision of the future today.

All of them are concept and not yet ready for prime time and mass production.

AR is expensive and complex - maybe for the next Model S or X, but definitely not for Model 3.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are referring to.
You underlined (+ bold, + italic) one sentence in your quoted reply, and I thought your "absolutely not" meant you disagreed with that underlined statement.

I do disagree with it. You are not going to be forced to put on specialty headwear in order to drive the 3. That's not happening.

Actually, we seem to agree on AR not happening in the 3. We've just misread each others comments.

I have to assume a HUD is still an option though. And the entire premise for that is that there has to be something in front of the driver telling us speed, charge, range, autopilot on/off, warnings, etc. The only options I can think of is to add the traditional binnacle like in the S/X, or go HUD.

And Tesla seemed pretty adamant about not having a binnacle during the 3 reveal and Elon's made various comments since that sounds like the display will definitely be different than in the current Tesla models.

So we'll see. I don't personality care if it's a traditional binnacle it a HUD as long as it displays all the necessary info in front of me.

Last edited: