Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Camera - Black Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue several days ago and contacted Tesla. Was told to unplug all devices from the USB ports and do a full reboot. Foot on brake pedal, hold left and rights buttons on steering wheel and hold until screen goes off and wait until Tesla logo comes back on screen before letting up on brake and buttons. This worked for me.

BTW, I had been doing the pedal and two button reboot wrong, letting off when screen went off but not patiently holding on until the logo reappeared on screen.

I had this issue several days ago and contacted Tesla. Was told to unplug all devices from the USB ports and do a full reboot. Foot on brake pedal, hold left and rights buttons on steering wheel and hold until screen goes off and wait until Tesla logo comes back on screen before letting up on brake and buttons. This worked for me.

BTW, I had been doling the pedal and two button reboot wrong, letting off when screen went off but not patiently holding on until the logo reappeared on screen.
Thanks, I’ll give this a go.

BTW, I had been doing the pedal and two button reboot wrong, letting off when screen went off but not patiently holding on until the logo reappeared on screen.
No joy unfortunately. Hopefully it will resolve itself overnight.

I tried that on mine, although would not have waited much more than a minute to power down. Power down thing was all rather a non event. In the end, the screen went blank and lights turned off - which is how I know I waited for just over a minute as they take that amount of time to stop following me home.

However, its back having left the car for a few hours, with no USB.

Well, I had to pop out, about 45 mins after I posted the above. The camera was working again. The car didn't enter sleep state in between times. I guess it's just one of those things that happens...
Yeah it's odd. My SR+ has done it twice now, but miraclously worked again on it's own shortly after.

When I had a mobile service for my doors I asked the technician about it had he said it's a bug in the software. Hopefully they can patch it and it won't happen again.

This has happened a couple times to me. If I hold the steering controls in for 15 seconds, get out of the car, lock the doors & unlock, it seems like the screen reboots. I get the Tesla logo and it comes back on. Have yet to get the Tesla logo to show up without getting out of the car with the locks.

It happened to my new Model Y last week. I called Tesla support immediately – they answered promptly and told me to power down the car, then restart it. When it didn’t fix it, they scheduled a service appointment (for four weeks from now).
When I started the car the next day, the cameras had returned to normal. So far, they’ve stayed on.
Go figure.

It happened to my new Model Y last week. I called Tesla support immediately – they answered promptly and told me to power down the car, then restart it. When it didn’t fix it, they scheduled a service appointment (for four weeks from now).
When I started the car the next day, the cameras had returned to normal. So far, they’ve stayed on.
Go figure.

Mine just fixed themselves after a good night's rest. Just an odd error since all manner of user initiated reboot doesn't do the trick.

It's good it eventually fixed itself but I am one of those that finds the rear view from the S to be insufficient without the camera helping.

Tesla is replacing the computer in my MY.

Service rep says that while not common, they see this problem occasionally. Because it disables both navigation and the backup cameras, it’s considered to be a significant problem.

We’ll see if replacing the computer fixes it.