Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse display has become transparent, hard to use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AP1 2016 MS with the MCU2 upgrade. Today for the first time when I put it in reverse, the upper half of the screen shows the backup camera as usual. But the lower half of the screen is very transparent, showing a slightly dimmed underlying media screen, with a barely useable depiction of the car and a hint of front distance sensors.

Two button reset did not solve it. Anyone seen this?

While you are in reverse, the cameras are the only thing that are active. Everything else is dimmed and not accessible on the screen, except Homelink and some items on the top row. close the camera with the X and you can change the media channels while you back up, if that is what you want to do.

While you are in reverse, the cameras are the only thing that are active. Everything else is dimmed and not accessible on the screen, except Homelink and some items on the top row. close the camera with the X and you can change the media channels while you back up, if that is what you want to do.
Thanks for that answer, but that's not my problem. In many years of driving this car since they changed the screen layout a few years ago, when in reverse the backup camera fills the top of the screen, and the proximity detectors on all sides fill the bottom of the screen, a black screen with white/colored distance displays. Been happening forever. Keeps you from bumping things when you back up. Today, though, the bottom is not black but a very transparent grey, showing what's underneath and making the display of the car avatar and the distance detection curves very difficult to read since it isn't isolated.

Just hoping someone else has this problem with a fix, or to find out that no one else has this problem so I should bring it up to service (next time I visit them, of course, since there is zero way to ask Tesla about this). Thank goodness for this forum when folks have a problem/question.

My car has the left and right cameras beneath the backup cameras, with an avatar of the car in the center. I have never had any proximity displays in the backup screen area. I do hear beeps when something is getting close.

I believe it has to look like this?

8222EB58-7EE5-4C69-8261-F3CC1DB0ABD5.jpeg

This is what I get.
Although I have AP1 without the side cameras, my display is like that in that the screen image before engaging reverse is faintly visible around the car, just as in your display. I wonder if something changed and it trickled down to all of us? Sorry, I see no reason for the transparency, the background image is just distracting, and of zero aid in backing up. Looks like I may have to live with it, but I will ask SC on my next visit.

Although I have AP1 without the side cameras, my display is like that in that the screen image before engaging reverse is faintly visible around the car, just as in your display. I wonder if something changed and it trickled down to all of us? Sorry, I see no reason for the transparency, the background image is just distracting, and of zero aid in backing up. Looks like I may have to live with it, but I will ask SC on my next visit.
Agreed that the transparency serves no purpose, since you can't do anything but look at the other stuff on the screen, but I think this is the way Tesla is implementing it now, and I sure have much bigger complaints that I wish they would fix than this. :) I think they are just reusing software code whenever possible, so you got the new look.

Agreed that the transparency serves no purpose, since you can't do anything but look at the other stuff on the screen, but I think this is the way Tesla is implementing it now, and I sure have much bigger complaints that I wish they would fix than this. :) I think they are just reusing software code whenever possible, so you got the new look.
You're right, hope this is my biggest problem! I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a bug; looks like it is a new feature that I get too. Now I'm waiting for my software update with waypoints in the navigation....got to admit I love the periodic new features STILL being added to my Tesla 5 years later.

Reactions: DerbyDave