Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse feed power from Tesla charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in West Palm beach, FL about to get slammed by CAT4 Hurricane Dorian. It got me thinking as I am struggling to get my generator running reliably and fuel reserves scrounged up that I have all of this reserve power in my M3 I can't use. I wonder if with a software update only if Tesla engineers could make it possible to backfeed power from the charge port to act as a Powerwall type emergency reserve. It would be a great selling point IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_191113.jpg
    IMG_20190829_191113.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 144
The question becomes, what would it reverse feed power into? If you wanted it to reverse feed into the UMC or Wall Connector, you'd be energizing your entire house, which leads to two problems:
  1. The car probably can't power the entire house's draw for long, and if the battery goes completely flat the car may be damaged. And it may not be able to power large appliances (not sure what backfeed current limits there are, but it's probably no more than the charging apparatus can take).
  2. If you don't turn off the main breaker you will energize the power lines in your neighborhood and potentially kill a line worker who assumes the line is de-energized and is working on it. This is why generators have to be used with transfer switches.
I'm not saying you couldn't backfeed power safely. I'm just saying that it requires some know-how and forethought, and that the electric system is designed for the lowest common denominator.

Now, it would be nice for the car to be able to feed a small panel of outlets that you could plug small things into, but it's probably not gonna happen because of the uncertainties and risks involved.

Stay safe in the storm!

Reactions: Akikiki
I think Elon said the Roadster could do this but cars designed after that didn’t have this car to grid capability designed in.

Definitely in the future you could see multi-EV car families with solar and home battery backup, all being able to share/divert/direct power in whichever direction is needed.

Until then, a Powerwall sounds good.

AFAIK the only existing standard that does V2G is ChaDeMo.

Tesla could probably do V2G since they have their own standard but there's not much reason for them to enable it. There'd be a pretty large equipment cost to do V2G (regardless of standard).

What I suppose you could do is to tap into the 12V connector from the main battery and hook that to a 120V AC inverter. You can probably expect 1kW at most from the battery (it might also just get mad at you and trigger some BMS for pulling that much off 12V) but it would be useful for emergencies like this.

I am in West Palm beach, FL about to get slammed by CAT4 Hurricane Dorian. It got me thinking as I am struggling to get my generator running reliably and fuel reserves scrounged up that I have all of this reserve power in my M3 I can't use. I wonder if with a software update only if Tesla engineers could make it possible to backfeed power from the charge port to act as a Powerwall type emergency reserve. It would be a great selling point IMO.

Stay safe, get your car inside, and hope for the best! There's still a chance it will recurve and not even make landfall. We can hope! Anytime billions of dollars in damage can be avoided is a good time!

I wouldn’t risk messing up my battery costing $15k just to power my house for a day. Seems pretty dumb.

Preparing for wild fires here in SoCal we will likely have power outages to prevent forest fires. I got a nomad solar panels, then getting 2 rechargeable lanterns. Then eventually I’ll get a 26k mah power bank. And I have a gas car to use as my escape vehicle lol

Gee, if only Tesla would think about a product that we could install at our houses with batteries to power our homes. Wouldn't that be cool, and I wouldn't have to try to use my car to power the house.
No need to be a douche that thinks he knows it all. Unless they are handing out powerwalls for free I do not see how your solution is relevant to my question.

I wouldn’t risk messing up my battery costing $15k just to power my house for a day. Seems pretty dumb.

Preparing for wild fires here in SoCal we will likely have power outages to prevent forest fires. I got a nomad solar panels, then getting 2 rechargeable lanterns. Then eventually I’ll get a 26k mah power bank. And I have a gas car to use as my escape vehicle lol
The same batteries are used in powerwalls. Recycling degraded capacity batteries for use in home storage has been a serious discussion for some time. If TESLA setup the software management internally as I suggested and that was coupled with a grid disconnect at the panel the same as a gas fed generator would use is I see little risk needed.

The same batteries are used in powerwalls. Recycling degraded capacity batteries for use in home storage has been a serious discussion for some time. If TESLA setup the software management internally as I suggested and that was coupled with a grid disconnect at the panel the same as a gas fed generator would use is I see little risk needed.
I believe the power walls use a different battery chemistry? I know they are the same cell format, but I thought the guts were different.

But, as pointed out, the biggest issue is that there is no hardware in the car to covert the DC to AC required for the house to use. Second issue, is the risk of back feeding the grid and electrocuting someone.

I believe the power walls use a different battery chemistry? I know they are the same cell format, but I thought the guts were different.

But, as pointed out, the biggest issue is that there is no hardware in the car to covert the DC to AC required for the house to use. Second issue, is the risk of back feeding the grid and electrocuting someone.
We use generators to backfeed during storms, a simple disconnect is all that is needed.