Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse made my car go forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When in Park - lift the stalk UP to go in REVERSE. Push the stalk DOWN to go FORWARD.
I think people get confused by the PRND on the screen and think that they need to to push stalk down one notch to go in reverse.
It might be better if Tesla changed the indicator to RPND instead of PRND. People are used to the mechanical shifters of ICE vehicles and forget that Tesla's are electronic. You get used to it quickly but someone new driving the vehicle could make a mistake, pull the lever down one notch thinking they are putting the car in reverse, look behind them and hit the accelerator, only to find out they put the car in DRIVE and possibly hit something by accident.

How about something like:
R
N P<
D

Or some way to represent that horizontally ...
..v
..P
RND

Not sure that would work.

"If the transmission shift lever sequence includes a park position, it shall be located at the end, adjacent to the reverse drive position."

The shift lever sequence doesn’t contain a P “position”, just the label. In fact, technically there are no positions since it always returns to centre :)

But if we count the 3 positions (up, centre, down) those correspond with R, N, D.
P isn’t a separate position. It’s a separate button.

That’s a second event that would need to occur to cause the tragedy. With creep it just has to slip off the brake and you are driving into the intersection. A 2000 lb steel death machine on wheels shouldn’t move until you consciously tell it to move. Fail safe. Not fail unsafe.

Oh no, I read that. And you conveniently snipped the quote ONE sentence early before the sentence I quoted that supports my point.

They are saying the cue helps, but if you make a mistake and you never had creep you correct your mistake correctly. Only if you are used to creep do you correct your mistake incorrectly, by pressing down on the gas MORE to stop.

On a non flat surface and you fell a sleep you could roll forward or backward with creep off.

The cases of unpredictable / unexpected rolling backwards (or forward) with creep off is just as bad as the uncontrolled cases of creeping forward with creep on. If creep off didn’t roll backwards I think there would be less debate about the two.

But right now the statistical odds of problems I think are with creep off. Either can be driven or dealt with. But I think corner cases of screwups are more common with creep off. Mostly because of the car essentially always in neutral when stopped.

On a non flat surface and you fell a sleep you could roll forward or backward with creep off.

The cases of unpredictable / unexpected rolling backwards (or forward) with creep off is just as bad as the uncontrolled cases of creeping forward with creep on. If creep off didn’t roll backwards I think there would be less debate about the two.

But right now the statistical odds of problems I think are with creep off. Either can be driven or dealt with. But I think corner cases of screwups are more common with creep off. Mostly because of the car essentially always in neutral when stopped.

If you are on an incline at a red light with someone behind you and you lose consciousness with creep off you roll backwards into the person behind you. They’d honk their horn and when you did nothing they’d get out of their car to yell at you and then see your situation and call an ambulance.

If creep was on, you’d drive into the intersection and someone would still call an ambulance after you get hit because running a red light is the default fail UNsafe mode for creep.

I regularly park on an incline with the front of the car facing downhill, and reverse up the incline. If I want to inch forwards to adjust my final position I don’t have to shift out of R, I can just let go of the “gas” pedal. If I’m in hold because I pressed the brake, but I want to inch forwards, I can just tap the accelerator to release hold, but not far enough to actually make it give power, and then I let gravity pull me forwards (while still in R). If I go too far I can press the pedal more to let the motor drive me in reverse up the incline.

If you're in HOLD mode, all you have to do to get out of it is to tap the break again. It'll cycle between hold and not hold. You never have to hit the accelerator to break hold mode.

If you're in HOLD mode, all you have to do to get out of it is to tap the break again. It'll cycle between hold and not hold. You never have to hit the accelerator to break hold mode.

But I want my foot on the “gas” to reverse the directions needed. With creep off I can feather the position if the pedal and way finer speed and direction control. With creep on you can do this bidirectional movement thing without changing gears. Unless maybe the incline is steep enough to overcome creep torque?

I can do one pedal driving in two alternating directions using gravity and feathering the accelerator pedal.

Did some experimenting today and I think this thread explains exactly what happened to me last night. It seems that reverse will allow hold to release with almost no torque from the motor (minimal throttle input), whereas drive will not. I think this is because reverse has lesser amount of torque for safety reasons but perhaps the algorithm to release hold is not based on torque but rather pedal input. It seems that Tesla could fine tune this to operate better in reverse.

Did some experimenting today and I think this thread explains exactly what happened to me last night. It seems that reverse will allow hold to release with almost no torque from the motor (minimal throttle input), whereas drive will not. I think this is because reverse has lesser amount of torque for safety reasons but perhaps the algorithm to release hold is not based on torque but rather pedal input. It seems that Tesla could fine tune this to operate better in reverse.

I like the “neutral” range that lets me roll with gravity.

When in Park - lift the stalk UP to go in REVERSE. Push the stalk DOWN to go FORWARD.
I think people get confused by the PRND on the screen and think that they need to to push stalk down one notch to go in reverse.
It might be better if Tesla changed the indicator to RPND instead of PRND. People are used to the mechanical shifters of ICE vehicles and forget that Tesla's are electronic. You get used to it quickly but someone new driving the vehicle could make a mistake, pull the lever down one notch thinking they are putting the car in reverse, look behind them and hit the accelerator, only to find out they put the car in DRIVE and possibly hit something by accident.
That was what I was thinking the first couple times, either I put it on drive or I was too quick didn’t really put on reverse. I did double make sure after and it did displayed R on the screen, even my 20 years old son did it couple times.

Thanks for that link. They agree with me and also blame the historical existence of creep and training our monkey brains:
“From years of driving ICE-powered automatic transmission vehicles,
drivers are familiar with cues in the direction of travel indicated by
creep force.”

So if we never had creep, people wouldn’t be used to it, and when you messed up you wouldn’t press the same pedal to stop. Simple.

I never drove an automatic. When I screw up I let go of the pedal and press the other one. I don’t press the same one harder. People used to creep do that.

It’s better to teach your kids to drive an EV with no creep from the get go, they’ll never dangerously stomp down the same pedal when they go the “wrong way”. Why would they do that? It makes no sense, everyone knows you lift your foot to slow down, then move it left to press the brake. Everyone who’s never used creep anyways. Unfortunately lots of people have used creep. That’s too bad.

Maybe the next generation will be better. The EV creep-less generation.
It’s not the creep, couple times my car was on HOLD when this happened. I was not alone, my college kids were with me. They first were thinking I didn't put in reverse (and myself too, after 30 years of driving, I have learned that human errors causes 99.9% of the accident), but I tried it with their “supervision” after that and it still the same.

I knew it’s hard to believe when I was posting it, but....

And I do love my Tesla

Last edited:
Please, anyone experiencing this ... if you have a smartphone (how do you get into your Tesla if you don't have one? :D) take a video so you can submit it to Tesla (and post it here) so we can see what the heck is going on.

Thanks

Very new Model 3 owner here (Day 7. Love the car!). I'll add my anecdotal experience to this.

History-wise, was in the garage and put it into reverse to back out, creep set to on. Realized it was in hold mode and didn't get any response, so gave it what I thought was a little more accelerator and it did a bit of a jerk back before being normalish. That struck me as odd and annoying, so I looked up how to turn off hold without using the accelerator.

Come to today and I parked in a parking lot. Mild forward slope, the kind that I'd expect creep to overcome if needed. Put the car into reverse and realized that hold was on, so pressed and released the brake and it rolled forward at a creep pace. I immediately applied brakes again, then released the brakes more slowly, and found it crept backwards as expected. Applied light acceleration and backed out of the space.

I like software stuff so I might see if I can find a place that I can reproduce this reliably (and safely) and get more than a TeslaCam video of it. (The TC Video doesn't show interface UI information so it less helpful).

In unrelated news, I apologize for coming to the forums too late to let folks know that Best Buy had a 1TB External SSD for $89 with a bonus 64GB thumb drive. I was hoping to see the deal still up today, but it's back to $170. :(