Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse warning and/or auto stop feature request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't get used to the damned indicators - I have had them in every car and I'm sure #MP3Mike will tell me the regulations about them but Tesla have somehow made these different.
Or is it just me?
Yeah, that threw me a bit on the test drive. The indicator always returns to central position, it doesn’t lock in either up/down position.

Makes sense with auto lane change. It can’t be stuck manually in indicate-right position when the car wants to auto-indicate-left etc.

Having an extra 3 second option, and hard to cancel without indicating the other way accidentally.

The last bit seems to be because the lever doesn't lock down like it does on other cars.
Yeah I get this a lot too, always find I end up indicating the other direction because I have to try and manually cancel the turn signal as it doesn't seem to automatically turn off a lot of the time.

I find the drive/reverse stick really counter intuitive.

Me too ...

... but its been like that in every automatic I've driven. Just they have only been Rentals, rather than daily-drivers, so never got used to it

I'm particularly careful when in front of a wall to make sure I move away from it ... rather than into it!

I was in Neutral a lot too, when I first got the car ... and when it was raining ...

On Model-S (presumably Model-3 too, but I haven't tried it) I can move D-to-R at low speeds. makes it real easy for N-point turning, as can throw it from D-to-R and use accelerator to "reverse" the motor, bringing car to a (forward) stop, and then starting to reverse.

Manual says if you're going too slow, you can only engage reverse with your foot on the brake & stopped, a bit faster and you can change gear whilst moving.

Reverse
Push the lever all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h). If moving less than 1 mph (1.6 km/h), you must press the brake.

Drive
Push the lever all the way down and release. You can shift into Drive when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in Reverse. If Model 3 is moving less than 1 mph (1.6 km/h), you must press the brake to shift into Drive.

Yeah I get this a lot too, always find I end up indicating the other direction because I have to try and manually cancel the turn signal as it doesn't seem to automatically turn off a lot of the time.
I was equally frustrated by this, always unintentionally indicating the other direction when wanting to cancel. But no, it does not have to be like this. Check the manual. A second touch of the stalk in the same direction cancels the turn signal. Genius.

I was equally frustrated by this, always unintentionally indicating the other direction when wanting to cancel. But no, it does not have to be like this. Check the manual. A second touch of the stalk in the same direction cancels the turn signal. Genius.
Ah, thanks for the tip. I know we should read all the manual but in reality I just don't have time to read it all so only read bits that I have no idea how to use properly. Never thought the turn signal would be one of them.