Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFE UI Shortcut for Disconnecting Charge Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I know, this is not an official Tesla Forum. But what is? /s

Anyways. When my X is plugged into charging, it takes a few clicks on the UI to disconnect the charger, unless I am using a Tesla-compatible charger that has buttons on it.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a "unlock charging cable" directly on the screen (without going into sub-menus) whenever the car is plugged in?

Just sayin..

• Disagree
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Yes, I know, this is not an official Tesla Forum. But what is? /s

Anyways. When my X is plugged into charging, it takes a few clicks on the UI to disconnect the charger, unless I am using a Tesla-compatible charger that has buttons on it.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a "unlock charging cable" directly on the screen (without going into sub-menus) whenever the car is plugged in?

Just sayin..
Every non-tesla charger I’ve ever used (admittedly rare), I just pulled the release trigger it causes the charging to stop and releases the adapter. I’ve never had to use the UI at all.

Uh, well, that should rarely be needed because...
it takes a few clicks on the UI to disconnect the charger, unless I am using a Tesla-compatible charger that has buttons on it.
...there should always be buttons on the plug.

All plugs DO have buttons on them. I'm trying to figure out what kind of plug you are using, and your location just says, "The real UN", which means nothing. Europe uses the Mennekes plugs, where the Tesla ones don't have buttons either, so it's probably not that. So if you're in the U.S. both the Tesla plugs and the J1772 plugs have buttons that interrupt charging and release from the charging port without having to do anything from the touchscreen.

So can you give a little more detail on what you're using?

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Uh, well, that should rarely be needed because...

...there should always be buttons on the plug.

All plugs DO have buttons on them.

Nonsense. Mine doesn't and a software update cannot change that.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of plug you are using

I'm using a plug I found on Amazon that didn't have a button when I purhcased it. Some newer models come with buttons but I wouldn't pay $500 just for this functionality, Tesla could just software update it for the S/X.

, and your location just says, "The real UN", which means nothing.

It's a tongue-in-the-cheek critique against the current UN.

Europe uses the Mennekes plugs, where the Tesla ones don't have buttons either, so it's probably not that. So if you're in the U.S. both the Tesla plugs and the J1772 plugs have buttons that interrupt charging and release from the charging port without having to do anything from the touchscreen.

So can you give a little more detail on what you're using?

The particulars of what I am using are irrelevant, all that matters is that it doesn't have a button on it.

The particulars of what I am using are irrelevant, all that matters is that it doesn't have a button on it.
It is NOT irrelevant. It's the very reason I keep asking about WHAT you are using and where your location is. If you are in North America, yes, they do all have a button. If it's in Europe, right, those don't have buttons on the Tesla brand plugs or other plugs.

But you are unwilling to answer any basic questions about what you are using, so you are uninterested in any help.

@NJturtlePower It's not that simple. This question applies to public charging station plugs too, so it's not just about what someone is using at home. But the information given is so incomplete and confusing that we are having a hard time figuring out what types of plugs this is about. Tesla plugs having buttons but other plugs not having them doesn't apply in the U.S. or Europe, so we need some more blanks filled in or a picture of what types of plugs this is referring to.

@NJturtlePower It's not that simple. This question applies to public charging station plugs too, so it's not just about what someone is using at home. But the information given is so incomplete and confusing that we are having a hard time figuring out what types of plugs this is about. Tesla plugs having buttons but other plugs not having them doesn't apply in the U.S. or Europe, so we need some more blanks filled in or a picture of what types of plugs this is referring to.
Well yeah, that's true.... typical forum post with only 20% of the details listed or clearly communicated.

For Tesla to integrate with every type of non-Tesla charger out there, using an adapter or not is silly and would be a huge waste of their resources.

Thus my recommendation... just use Tesla based chargers and problem solved, home or on the road.

Since 2018 I've never found any reason to use a non-Tesla "Supercharger" (only tested a J1772 ChargePoint once) and never a reason to use anything other than what I already have at home.

Tesla owners seem to think Tesla should accommodate every oddball charging or use case possible to fit their needs for some reason rather than following majority/industry best practices. 🤷‍♂️ Next time ask a Legacy brand to update their UI software or maybe move their charge port to the other side and see how far you get..... same idea here. Adapt to the vehicle YOU purchased, the manufacture doesn't need to adapt to YOU.

This question isn't at all about plugs. It's about a shortcut button in the infotainment to unlock the charging cable. Currently that button is behind few clicks depending on what you are currently doing.

This question isn't at all about plugs.
But it does seem to be, because of how you say using the touch screen is a method you have to use to respond to this specific problem, which we can't even picture would exist.

unless I am using a Tesla-compatible charger that has buttons on it.
That's why I continually ask what type of plug it is and what location it is! You are saying this as if Tesla plugs have release buttons and others don't. But we don't know of that being the case anywhere. If it's North America, all plugs of all types have the release buttons, and if it's the Mennekes Type 2 ones, I think none of them do. Do the Tesla Type 2 plugs have buttons on them? I thought that was all through software release on Type 2. So I am still genuinely curious

But it does seem to be, because of how you say using the touch screen is a method you have to use to respond to this specific problem, which we can't even picture would exist.

I understand it intrigues you, but the question is not about the plug. Even if the plug had a button, the button might be broken or malfunctioning, and I would like to have a quick release on the screen, like I recall the Model 3 does.

That's why I continually ask what type of plug it is and what location it is! You are saying this as if Tesla plugs have release buttons and others don't. But we don't know of that being the case anywhere. If it's North America, all plugs of all types have the release buttons, and if it's the Mennekes Type 2 ones, I think none of them do. Do the Tesla Type 2 plugs have buttons on them? I thought that was all through software release on Type 2. So I am still genuinely curious

Here is an example to satisfy your curiosity: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Charger-Socket-Energy-Vehicles-Protection/dp/B0B63T21H1

I understand it intrigues you, but the question is not about the plug.
Again...you brought up two things:

1) A difficulty you have with various plug types. The difficulty said something that didn't make sense and didn't seem to be the case, so we are all really trying to figure out what that situation is.
2) A suggestion you have for dealing with it.

Here is an example to satisfy your curiosity:
Finally! We get some information. That is a Type 2 from Europe, which is meant to not have any buttons on the plug--none of them do. You said the Tesla one does??! I sure didn't think so.

and I would like to have a quick release on the screen, like I recall the Model 3 does.
Does your Model X have a key fob, or is it just phone as key? I think they stopped including key fobs at some point with the S and X, and switched to just phone as key, but with the key fobs, that was a quick release button in your pocket without even having to go to the screen, which the 3 and Y never had. Pressing and holding the trunk button on the key fob is a charge port release signal.