Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok...now it has turned into personal insults.
Conversation over.

Personal insults?
Please show me where exactly I said anything that was a personal insult.

I'm still waiting Mr. Garner. Please let me know where and how I insulted you. Because I can't see it anywhere, I'd really like to know. Simply refuting an argument is not a personal insult.

Can anyone else see where and/or how I launched any personal insults towards GG?

Thanks.

Can anyone else see where and/or how I launched any personal insults towards GG?

My guess... being told to “read a history book” was considered an insult. Just a guess.

Trying to stay on topic, I was wondering if what Tesla does requiring payments before delivery and insurance was technically legal either at the federal or state level (depending on the state). Considering nothing has been delivered, I do not see how Tesla could hold him to a sale if he decided to bail.

Last edited:
Easy. Read a history book.

Just read all the posts and all the Youtube videos from huge Tesla fans about how much Tesla is farking up new and used deliveries. They're doing everything wrong selling used cars. Everything. Every department is understaffed and overworked. It's a massive, systemic problem. If it goes on long enough, Tesla will loose that shine they've spent so long to create, and guess what? People may stop buying cars because Tesla is incapable of scaling up their start-up mentality operation. Tesla could, and has on several occasions, almost gone out of business and FAILED. That's not a success. They can definitely be "unuccessed" only by their own doing. For historic reference, see: Hoist with his own petard - Wikipedia

But you seem caught up on the words "success" vs "successful". Sure you can't change history, and Tesla did successfully launch EVs into the world. I also successfully took a dump this morning. Does that make me a success? If Tesla goes out of business, they are far, far, far from being a success. In fact, that would be a colossal failure, like every other "successful" company that went out of business... Would you call Enron a success? They were successful in changing the energy markets (some for the worse), but ended up being one of the biggest failures in corporate history. How about MCI/Worldcom? Or Blockbuster Video? Lehman Brothers? Madoff Group? Nortel Networks? AIG? (although they got a government bailout because they were "too big to fail")... the list goes on and on and on. These were all successful companies at one point, but ended up being huge failures in the end. See: List of corporate collapses and scandals - Wikipedia

You really think by some divine intervention, Tesla is somehow immune to failing? That they'll always be a success? No, Tesla can easily be "unsuccessed".

Success needs a timeline or goal to achieve. Otherwise everything is existence is a guaranteed failure. What's the measure of whether or not Tesla is a success? The best option is probably to look at their mission statement, which is something like "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Has that already happened? Has it not happened? Is it in the process of happening? It's a fuzzy mission, and whether or not it has been achieved is subjective. Some could say, at this point, Tesla is a success. Others could say it is not; at least, not yet. And I don't think either would be wrong.

Success needs a timeline or goal to achieve. Otherwise everything is existence is a guaranteed failure. What's the measure of whether or not Tesla is a success? The best option is probably to look at their mission statement, which is something like "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Has that already happened? Has it not happened? Is it in the process of happening? It's a fuzzy mission, and whether or not it has been achieved is subjective. Some could say, at this point, Tesla is a success. Others could say it is not; at least, not yet. And I don't think either would be wrong.

I'd say putting people in their CPO cars ASAP by offering a quality product helps their goal to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy." In meantime, when their CPO inventory languishes at Manheim or gods know where else, it deprives Tesla of the revenue from selling that car, they lose additionaly due to the depreciation of the car, and in the meantime it creates an awful experience for the customer which is not good for a company that depends on customer goodwill to advertise.

Do we want Tesla customers who have gone through the current broken CPO mess to tell their friends:

"You know, Tesla cars are great and I love my car but it took me 2 months to get this car and their customer service during the two months was dismal. I suggest you wait for the Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, and other offerings coming the next couple of years because buying my car was an awful experience."

Surely there are enough dedicated smart people at Tesla to fix this broken mess before they have twice as many CPO cars to sell?

He explained it in his 2nd or 3rd story. Apparently according to the instructions of his order, he had to furnish insurance for the car, I think he mis-interpreted it as Tesla requiring insurance to be in the car to be added to his policy versus just providing an existing insurance policy.
I seem to remember from living in Massachusetts long ago that you couldn't register your car without it being explicitly added to an insurance policy. That, coupled with the absence of temporary tags might explain their policy.

Insurance is required to register in Colorado but you have ~30 days after purchase to add it to your policy. When buying my Teslas, I've added them to my policy either the day of delivery or within a couple days of delivery. IF delivery had been delayed, it would've only taken me 5 minutes to call my insurance agent and have it removed. There's really no reason that I can think of to be paying insurance on a vehicle you don't even have possession of yet.

Reactions: Felickz
I had the same question. There are major holes in this story about Rich.
I don't get people in here sometimes, why would the man lie about his experience and broadcast a video if it wasn't true. Not to mention that there are numerous people who have had or are having the same or similar experience. By the way, Tesla requires you to have insurance on the car. How would it make sense to show insurance on another car you own??? you mention why didn't he cancel the insurance? well if he did and then renewed it, he may have been classified as having a lapse in insurance not to mention, you never know when Tesla will send you that infamous email demanding you pick up your car "tomorrow."

as far as the loan...I don't know how everyone's financial institutions work but my credit union deposits my loan in my account the very next day I apply for it. Therefore the time starts ticking immediately with the first payment being due 30 days after that.

All I'm saying is there's no reason not to believe Rich, but as far as Tesla....Im beyond flabbergasted on how Elon just tweets out major policy affecting many people as if it were a reality show...reminds me of someone else (lol). One day you buy a brand new MS75D and the next day its discontinued.

I don't get people in here sometimes, why would the man lie about his experience and broadcast a video if it wasn't true.

I implore you to read what I typed and not make up anything.

Who said Rich lied?

I will quote myself. "There are major holes in the STORY ABOUT RICH".

I believe everything Rich "has said" is true, however I KNOW that Rich hasn't shared everything. For one...Rich hasn't shared his attitude and language directed directly at TESLA and their customer service employees. I'll leave it at that. There are other things....but this is neither the time or place for such things.

YouTube can make a person seem so nice. That's all I will say.

I implore you to read what I typed and not make up anything.

Who said Rich lied?

I will quote myself. "There are major holes in the STORY ABOUT RICH".

I believe everything Rich "has said" is true, however I KNOW that Rich hasn't shared everything. For one...Rich hasn't shared his attitude and language directed directly at TESLA and their customer service employees. I'll leave it at that. There are other things....but this is neither the time or place for such things.

YouTube can make a person seem so nice. That's all I will say.
Don't blame the victim

Believing a used car salesman to the extent that you pay cash up front (or sign a contract for future delivery) before you can physically see the car and test drive it - is that what happened here? And I would rate TM the company even less than an individual used car salesman.
--

Believing a used car salesman to the extent that you pay cash up front (or sign a contract for future delivery) before you can physically see the car and test drive it - is that what happened here? And I would rate TM the company even less than an individual used car salesman.
--

The real sad part (and worst part), is that individual Tesla employees all really want to help and get their customers the best experience possible. The real culprit is the system and/or lack thereof. Which means its a management problem that isn't being fixed.

The real sad part (and worst part), is that individual Tesla employees all really want to help and get their customers the best experience possible. The real culprit is the system and/or lack thereof. Which means its a management problem that isn't being fixed.

What I find odd about this whole CPO policy is that it seems to be implemented currently to Tesla's own detriment.
  • It hurts their reputation. Just the Youtube videos about this single incident have been viewed over 2 million times and counting.
  • with customers rejecting cars that are damaged, it takes longer to sell costing them in greater depreciation plus finance costs in the money sunk on the used car they are holding.
  • They have to deal with disappointed customers and delivery rejections.
  • Based on the disorganized mess they have created to sell these cars, I would not be surprised if it costs them more to sell cars this way than if they had a well thought out efficient system for selling used cars.
All this can be avoided. Imagine if they spent $1,000-$2,000 in light refurbishing and started offering quality used cars that rose to the level of customer service offered by a Kia dealer... How happy would everyone be?!

If Kia can sell quality used cars, I think Tesla could do the same as well...

Last edited:
Hmmmm…..

Twitter.....

United States....

Leadership....

Hmmmmm……

I guess you have a point. <---------Extreme Sarcasm.

TRUST ME! I am then least gullible person when it comes to that person your referencing. I going to refrain from making this forum a political spectacle, so I'll leave it at that. But Rich has not given us any reason to doubt or distrust him.

TRUST ME! I am then least gullible person when it comes to that person your referencing. I going to refrain from making this forum a political spectacle, so I'll leave it at that. But Rich has not given us any reason to doubt or distrust him.

You sound like a very stable genius :p

I agree about Rich and appreciate his "say it like it is" commentary. It is easy to fawn over a brand in a state of sheep-herd daze of awe but sometimes it is those who really truly care who take the time to point out when things are not as they should be...

Happy ending. And ultimately the experience of many tesla owners... get treated terribly by the company, but the car ultimately is worth the trouble you have to go through.

I still can't recommend tesla to any of my friends or family, but I haven't sold my X yet...

Reactions: Jedi2155