Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous Bloomberg article: some people would die waiting for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggnykk

Feb 7, 2016
Earth
I stepped across this news article in Bloomberg (shown below) listed on the front page of their website. And it seems every news outlet nowadays want to associate Tesla with death directly or indirectly in some shape or form. This is getting ridiculous. It cites there are 821 death per 100k people in US based on statistic, so someone in the Model 3 waiting list would die before getting their car. What a cheesy way to bad-mouth Tesla reputation. Why don't Bloomberg post an article saying how many millions of people visit the Bloomberg news website every year, and say thousands of their viewers would be dead by the end of the year. What an unfair couple of weeks for Tesla.

Source:
What Happens When You Die Waiting for a Tesla?

What Happens When You Die Waiting for a Tesla?
The Model 3 is at least 18 months away, and not everyone on the waitlist will make it.

There are more than 300,000 people in line for a Tesla Model 3, and at least one of them is going to die before getting the car.

This isn't an electric-vehicle prophecy, just a sober reading ofstatistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were 821.5 deaths in the U.S. per 100,000 people as of 2013, the most recent data available, and the newest car from Tesla Motors Inc. isn't scheduled to begin shipping until late 2017. That leaves at least 18 months during which one among the hundreds of thousands of Model 3 hopefuls could be found at the supercharger station in the sky. What's more, owners of Tesla's pricer Model S sedans have tended to be overwhelmingly male and over the age of 45, according to data from Edmunds.com, so we aren't exactly speculating about an actuarially invincible cohort here.

A deceased Model 3 buyer will have plopped down a refundable $1,000 deposit to hold a place on Tesla's waitlist, agreeing to a one-page contract that explicitly blocks transfers to another buyer. A particularly forward-looking person on the Model 3 waitlist might list the reservation in his or her will, but death doesn't invalidate the terms.

"Anyone could bequeath property or rights to something to another individual," said Stuart Slotnick, a partner at Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney with experience in contractual law. "But if you do not have a right to something, because of the contract with Tesla, then you have nothing to bequeath."

The contract warns that a "reservation is not transferrable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of Tesla," and a Tesla representative said these terms are designed to prevent line squatters from hoarding reservations with plans to sell them off to the highest bidder as shipping day approaches. So would Tesla allow heirs or estate managers to take over a spot in the Model 3 line?

The company is prepared to accommodate an heir, regardless of the contract. "In the scenario you list, the $1,000 reservation would be refunded, or a spouse or close family member could keep the reservation," a Tesla spokeswoman explained.

So far there have been no known deaths on the Model 3 waitlist.

There's an article out today by Forbes that makes repeated comparisons between Musk and #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain...

No, I will not link it. And no, you should not search for it. I only clicked on it myself because the title of the article made reference to former employee's thoughts on Musk and what "makes him tick". I thought it might be an interesting article.

WRONG. The first Drumpf reference came in the 2nd sentence. Then another in the 3rd. And in the 4th. And in the 5th.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
I stepped across this news article in Bloomberg (shown below) listed on the front page of their website. And it seems every news outlet nowadays want to associate Tesla with death directly or indirectly in some shape or form. This is getting ridiculous. It cites there are 821 death per 100k people in US based on statistic, so someone in the Model 3 waiting list would die before getting their car. What a cheesy way to bad-mouth Tesla reputation. Why don't Bloomberg post an article saying how many millions of people visit the Bloomberg news website every year, and say thousands of their viewers would be dead by the end of the year. What an unfair couple of weeks for Tesla.
Yeah. I wonder how many people will die waiting for a fully electric 'Tesla Killer' from: AUDI? BMW? Cadillac? Infiniti? Jaguar? Lexus? Mercedes-Benz? And how many people are there that are positively certain that Tesla Motors will 'die' if they don't provide a proper 'luxury' interior for their cars 'like everyone else'...? When the A4, 3-Series, ATS, Q50, XE, IS, and C-Class are all getting their [BUMS] handed to them by Model ☰ sales, and TSLA climbs to somewhere over $500... How many $#0rts are going to die of cardiac arrest?

Reactions: ImEric
There's an article out today by Forbes that makes repeated comparisons between Musk and #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain...

No, I will not link it. And no, you should not search for it. I only clicked on it myself because the title of the article made reference to former employee's thoughts on Musk and what "makes him tick". I thought it might be an interesting article.

WRONG. The first Drumpf reference came in the 2nd sentence. Then another in the 3rd. And in the 4th. And in the 5th.
Too bad there aren't any decent candidates this election year, eh?