Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim protection - 22" Onyx Black Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X is scheduled for June 30 delivery and I would like to install rim protection for the wheels. I recall reading at least one product isn't suitable to protect the rims on the black 22" onyx wheels. Are there alternatives that _are_suitable to protect those wheels? And, can other forum members provide details or speculate about why the product manufacturer's web site would have that notice?

Yes, I briefly considered Alloy Gators but saw they wouldn't fit my 22" rims.

Then, I found the RimBlades site and thought their "Scuffs" product would be compatible with my 22" Onxy wheels, since the installation instructions include a primer step that's used after cleaning the mounting location with alcohol.

So, I contacted the owner of RimBlades yesterday and was told he's got a new product call RimSavers that is heavier and stronger than Scuffs, which is the product I initially wanted to order. His first batch of red RimSavers looked slightly orange, so he modified the color and expects the next batch to be close to Tesla Red. Importantly, he expects they will compatible with my 22" Onyx rims. He should receive the batch of red RimSavers within two or three weeks and will send them to me.

Nothing is going to protect the rims if you intend to damage them by intentionally driving into a concrete curb. My intention is to protect them if I unintentionally happen to scrape the curb and I hope the RimSavers will provide at least some protection by "sacrificing" themselves. That doesn't mean I won't be cautious when parallel parking.

By the way, I changed my mind and will be installing black RimSavers instead of red.

Let me reword my poor response...

This stuff really works? I figure if you do curb your wheels, a piece of thin plastic isn't going to be much of a buffer for concrete and metal. I would consider saving the money and using it on refinishing the wheel in the event you do curb them. Roughly $50-70 to refinish and you don't need to take the tire off.

Thanks for your re-phrased comment, @Rich_M. I understand your skepticism that "... a piece of thin plastic isn't going to be much of a buffer...." The RimSavers I bought only cost about $60, and I hope I never get to test that statement. ;-)

image.jpeg
I put on Wheel Band sold by Evannex. It was easy to install; just be thorough with alcohol cleaning of the connecting surface of the rims. Not extremely high hopes for its protection, but at least I've done something.

This stuff really works? I figure if you're going to curb your wheels, a piece of thin plastic isn't going to be much of a buffer for concrete and metal.

I got two really bad rashes on my wheels within a week and both of them also have the alloy arms scratched and not just the rim, so I am not sure how the RimSaver type will work.

I just learned to be really nice to my local wheel repairman and hopefully will get volume discount. LOL.

My Model X is scheduled for June 30 delivery and I would like to install rim protection for the wheels. I recall reading at least one product isn't suitable to protect the rims on the black 22" onyx wheels. Are there alternatives that _are_suitable to protect those wheels? And, can other forum members provide details or speculate about why the product manufacturer's web site would have that notice?
Yes. I have fool proof system. It doesn't even cost anything. Don't hit or rub against curbs. By following this advise my rims look like new