Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rims from third party Did you have her sign a document for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want Tesla have no warranty on the rims / tires.
The take over, I, the rim / tire manufacturer and the TÜV.

If, for example, the wheel really solve, I would complain to the TÜV.

But everything else, suspension, brakes, etc. remains. Guarantee performance of Tesla, as the rims are indeed technically inspected and approved.

Realistically, you can not expect Tesla to warranty, or service under warranty issues that arise from non-Tesla parts. Even with tires, if you purchase your tires say from some place other than Tesla, would you really expect tesla to warranty them even if they are within the load range and specs Tesla puts out...I think not.
I wouldn't expect Tesla to *warranty* them, but I'd expect Tesla to *deal with* them. Rotate them, change them, do what's necessary.

KaJu74,

Forgive me but I am still confused. Perhaps that is because I am in the US and don't know the TÜV. Are they a engineering body that requested torque, strain, and hub shear forces from Tesla on the Model S and then preformed and engineering analysis to come to the conclusion of the approved the lowered torque for those wheels on this car? I'm still not understanding what makes this reduction (of 25%) on a safety critical bolt ok. If reducing the torque on the wheel nuts is ok, why has Tesla done exactly the opposite with their own specs over the last year?

Honestly, speaking as an engineer, I would never approve my company setting the torque on a safety critical bolt to only 75% of it's specified value because a customer stated it was ok. I'm surprised that they are even offering to if you sigh that simple form. Lets say a one of you wheels does come off while going through turns on the highway, wouldn't you hold the last person to touch the wheel responsible?

Peter

100% agree, I see that too.

The wheels are tested and approved. Whats the Problem for Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't expect Tesla to *warranty* them, but I'd expect Tesla to *deal with* them. Rotate them, change them, do what's necessary.

But if they can not set the wheel torque to anywhere near the correct value, why would you expect them to rotate them?

Who measures torque on lug nuts?

Ok if you have an air driver that could snap you lug nut I can see setting it appropriately.

I have used the jump/bounce on the tire iron method to do the final torquing method and never in 30+ years of changing tires have I had an issue. You cannot tell me that new lug nuts are so weak or sensitive that specific NM is required.

These are big strong bolts/nuts and should take whatever you can throw at them by hand.

The wheels are tested and approved. Whats the Problem for Tesla?

The problem is that they are a manufacturer and not a dealer or tire store. In the U.S. there are a different set of regulations if you are a car manufacturer that you have to follow or lose FMVSS certification. Perhaps this isn't true in Germany.

The problem is that they are a manufacturer and not a dealer or tire store. In the U.S. there are a different set of regulations if you are a car manufacturer that you have to follow or lose FMVSS certification. Perhaps this isn't true in Germany.

If I rim / tire mount in Germany that are not approved by TÜV and entered in the vehicle documents, I lose the license and thereby also the insurance!

Why TÜV thinks that's enough only 120 Nm and then tighten to 130 Nm, I do not understand, too.

But there is no direct contact and I do not know who else can give me an answer now.

How stupid does that sound, should leave me a wheel of the car when driving (which I would never do), I turn directly to the TÜV and the wheel manufacturer!