Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ring Car Connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For any Ring security systems or camera users, an upcoming application which integrates with Sentry Mode:

B89AD004-194F-4087-9126-619B90D5B737.jpeg

“Tap into your car’s built-in cameras to get alerts and watch recorded video in the Ring App. The first compatible cars are Tesla models 3, S, X, & Y. Watch Tesla Sentry Mode and recorded driving footage over wifi or from anywhere with an optional LTE connectivity plan.”

Sounds interesting, but I’d really like to see the specs.

It seems that the only value here is the ability to remotely see videos after one has been recorded. There is no live view, notifications are provided only if there is a wifi connection or we pay for an additional LTE subscription (does not say whether Tesla premium connectivity is enough or if we need to buy another one). I don't quite see the point of paying for ($199) hardware and ($??) access plan to only have the ability to see pre-recoded videos on my phone.

How is it redundant? You can use WiFi for local connectivity if you're out of service of LTE or to upload higher quality video.
The Ring Connect has its own LTE that you need to pay for. Not sure if it will be included in the existing Ring protect subscription or if you would need a separate subscription. It would be better if it used the Tesla’s built in connection. That is why it is redundant. The car already has LTE and WiFi, but the Ring connect also does too.

Ring is taking a pretty big risk on this, IMO. Surely Tesla will add this functionality at some point to the app.

Maybe it will still be worth it to a Ring user to have it in their app with other cameras, but seems like a small market to me.