Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back yesterday. The 2013 P85+ loaner was decent, but it definitely shows how far Tesla has come :p I was excited to get back into my own car.

Still no work order/invoice details yet (and the app still shows 'Ready for Pickup')

Nothing stands out as different from a quick pic underneath. I've got some Flex Seal caulk and more waterproof Gorilla tape - going to be protecting that front line. The Gorilla tape I put on after the original ripped held great for months while I waited for the new part/the core of winter to pass
ANCtWur.jpg

Reactions: mswlogo
This morning my door handles were still wet from the rain two days ago...

What's sad is that this made me consider that there might be water sitting on this panel so I did a couple of hard brakes on purpose to try to get some of it to come out. :confused:

I hope they do a service bulletin on this part and replace it when people come in with something that works.

Got my invoice today, no part number listed for it, and it was marked 'goodwill' and not warranty

The part is known as the Mid Aero Shield Panel. Here’s the part info:
M3 MID AERO, LWRT (1104313-00-A)

The part itself is $150 and labor for the install is $35 if you have to pay for it and they don’t warranty/goodwill the repair. With the frequency of these ripping they shouldn’t be charging anyone for this; I got charged though which is how I know what the price is...

IMG_2031.jpg Just noticed it hanging off the bottom of my car and made a service appointment for next week. Would also like them to look at the rear suspension "creak" but I don't always hear it, and I know if they don't hear it, they won't fix it.
Will be interesting to see if they charge me for this. Seems to be no shortage of this issue and seems to be clearly a design flaw, but who knows.

Wasnt able to get an appointment until next week. Anyone have a sense as to whether any additional damage could be done by driving around like this until I can get it fixed? Or is the “damage already done” and another week or so of driving won’t make any material difference?

Wasnt able to get an appointment until next week. Anyone have a sense as to whether any additional damage could be done by driving around like this until I can get it fixed? Or is the “damage already done” and another week or so of driving won’t make any material difference?

Another week of driving won’t make a difference provided you secure the loose piece. Get some gorilla tape and fasten down the loose piece.

Haven't picked up the car yet but they sent me the invoice. They are charging me CDN$200 for the part and $30 for labour. I think this is crazy that it is not covered under warranty. It is not like I drove over a pile of rocks or through a stream - this is just from 5 months of regular city driving. Is this going to happen every 6 months?

Although the part number listed on my invoice is LWRT (1104313-00-B); not -00-A

Same problem in the same exact area. They are charging me $200 for parts and labor. This is incredibly stupid and after seeing many many others have been having this issue for months Tesla should 1000% be addressing this. Im really mad I have to pay $200. That's a lot for something that is not my fault and a manufacture defect.

Same problem in the same exact area. They are charging me $200 for parts and labor. This is incredibly stupid and after seeing many many others have been having this issue for months Tesla should 1000% be addressing this. Im really mad I have to pay $200. That's a lot for something that is not my fault and a manufacture defect.

None of us should have to pay for this. They should issue a recall for this defective part. In hindsight I wish I put up more of a fight about them charging me for replacing the aero shield on my 3. If you haven't paid them already ask to speak to a manager about this at the service center.

Joining the club. I ripped it off as it was dragging badly on the road. Next appt is not for another 2 weeks. Is it ok to drive without it? Ripped a square about 10 inches by 10 inches. Should I try taping up the ripped square? Is it really that important? Was surprised how easily it was to rip off. Lots of rain here so must have happened as I drove over puddle.

64740FBD-2CA1-4604-B9A8-003B13D462EB.jpeg
Joining the club. I ripped it off as it was dragging badly on the road. Next appt is not for another 2 weeks. Is it ok to drive without it? Ripped a square about 10 inches by 10 inches. Should I try taping up the ripped square? Is it really that important? Was surprised how easily it was to rip off. Lots of rain here so must have happened as I drove over puddle.

Forgot to upload pic

Just get some waterproof gorilla tape and patch it up yourself. That’s what I wish I had done when mine got ripped.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Well I ripped off the offending square patch. If it’s there just for sound I could just leave it and tape up the rest

The part is known as an "aero shield". I don't believe it does anything in terms of noise dampening. It's designed to help with aerodynamics underneath the car. Obviously it doesn't do very well when it comes to hydrodynamics...

• Funny
Reactions: Itsuo-DC