Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to my wife twice now. The guy at the dealership had the nerve to say, maybe you ran over something. She's a police officer and would know if she ran over anything. They did everything to shift the blame. They also said their loaners are gone and that no one returns them so they'll only pay for an Uber. We just ordered an aftermarket set of aluminum plates from RPM Tesla. I encourage everyone to create an account on Top Class Action Lawsuit's website and file a claim! Nothing will change without action and scores of people. I filed a claim four days ago. This is clearly a defective product that Tesla has already recognized on their model S and they're taking care of those owners. They're going to try to make as much money as they can until enough people complain and file suits. We didn't spend this amount of money for a car with a composite/fabric material that's underneath of the car. I still can't believe they installed this crap from the beginning.

This has happened to my wife twice now. The guy at the dealership had the nerve to say, maybe you ran over something. She's a police officer and would know if she ran over anything. They did everything to shift the blame. They also said their loaners are gone and that no one returns them so they'll only pay for an Uber. We just ordered an aftermarket set of aluminum plates from RPM Tesla. I encourage everyone to create an account on Top Class Action Lawsuit's website and file a claim! Nothing will change without action and scores of people. I filed a claim four days ago. This is clearly a defective product that Tesla has already recognized on their model S and they're taking care of those owners. They're going to try to make as much money as they can until enough people complain and file suits. We didn't spend this amount of money for a car with a composite/fabric material that's underneath of the car. I still can't believe they installed this crap from the beginning.
Same thing they said to me, that I hit something, my car is lowered so that is the go to response. I didn't even do the lowering, but I suffer for it. I hit nothing that could cause that, I don't know where yours was as the fabric is under the car in multiple places, but mine was up front and there are metal pieces sticking down that is the only thing that gets hit if you do hit something. Mine was just heavy rain and the thing ripped. I finally got my service center awhile back to at least give me a credit and I used that to update my car to the newer USB C ports so the kids can charge their Iphones quickly. Ridiculous what they don't want to cover. I still have blue washer fluid all over the drivers side of my car every time I use the fluid, that they won't fix because they claim there is no adjustment and that it is normal for a car to do that. I've only had I think 17 cars that didn't do that.

Our M19 3LR has this area stuck firmly to the structure. So far still unmoved but I wonder if the forward-facing gap is to help cool the rear motor. Water driven through at speed has huge kinetic energy. Braking and accelerating on sloped roads in drier areas and on curves could throw out entrained water in really wet conditions. If a sump still retains water, find its lowest point and try a hole there.

People; Tesla Gurus in UK have a video of an extensive test on this undertray system. A properly fitted set of splash-guards will not be affected by moderate amounts of standing water taken at speeds up to 40mph. The material does not saturate and weaken with water 'ingress'. As they say oop north "Be told"

I was told by Tesla Service
"Damage to the underside of your vehicle is not covered by your warranty."

Simply AMAZING. Would not buy another Tesla Product.

You mean, like the catalytic converter I crushed going too fast over a speed bump on a Nissan Altima back in 2005 that wasn't covered by warranty?

Really -- physical impact damage isn't a warranty item. It's pretty much that simple ...

I've never had a car that could be damaged by a small puddle of water. I did have a Honda lawn mower that melted the plastic carburetor. Guess it is similar. Wrong product for use.
Or…not a “small puddle.” I suspect you still have never had a car that could be damaged by a small puddle.

Enjoy whatever manufacturer you choose next, but I doubt they are going to cover undercarriage damage from impact either.

I was told by Tesla Service
"Damage to the underside of your vehicle is not covered by your warranty."

Simply AMAZING. Would not buy another Tesla Product.
It's a part that failed due to damage, not due to defect (though they really could have used a better material for this). This is not something I would call warrantable.

Yeah, it sucks (I had to replace mine), but it isn't that expensive. If you live/work close enough to a service center, have them do it: it was next to nothing to have them install it.

Mine looks like it was improperly installed (Feb 2018 build), the fabric went OVER the bolts where it failed, you can see it's under the bolt/washer on the left side.. too bad I am out of warranty, super annoying.

eKZLd9J.png

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Mine looks like it was improperly installed (Feb 2018 build), the fabric went OVER the bolts where it failed, you can see it's under the bolt/washer on the left side.. too bad I am out of warranty, super annoying.

eKZLd9J.png
Those external Torx bolts with star heads are always under the cover.

Not clear exactly what caused this damage. Maybe enough water if the edge of the cover is not flush. As I recall there is a little gap oriented into the direction of travel (no idea why it is designed that way). So hit a big puddle at speed and it can probably happen, or perhaps snow/ice.

Those external Torx bolts with star heads are always under the cover.

Not clear exactly what caused this damage. Maybe enough water if the edge of the cover is not flush. As I recall there is a little gap oriented into the direction of travel (no idea why it is designed that way). So hit a big puddle at speed and it can probably happen, or perhaps snow/ice.
Its a defact, I've had my car out twice in heavy rain and twice the stupid thing ripped just like that.

eKZLd9J.png
Just replace with a metal one, they are like 155 bucks on amazon. I was going to do that if they didn't cover it under warranty, I got the newish plastic version so hopefully it lasts a bit longer.