Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Fast Chargers for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summary: Need Info on Rivian DCFCs. Is it true that Teslas can only use L2s ?

I posted a thread on supercharger deserts and someone replied that there would be a Rivian charger in Lee VIning, CA soon, my very favorite spot. That lead me to check on plugshare, and it is now working!!! It says 200kW CCS, BUT it says "Rivan Only". Checking on this forum (probably not current) says that Rivian DCFCs are for Rivan ONLY, but we can use L2s, which are useless to me. I'm looking for fast chargers where Tesla SCs (superchargers) are missing.

Does anyone understand why Rivians are allowed at Tesla SC locations, but not the opposite? How is that fair? Are there any reciprocity agreements in the works?

As long as we're at it, does anyone know of any preferential treatment for Tesla drivers at SCs now that they are open to anyone with an adapter? I say this not as a person who doesnt want to share (I WANT everyone to drive an EV to save the planet), but as a person concerned about managing wait times for charging.

Thanks,

-TPC
--------------------------------------
Cheapo boring vanilla white MY with small wheels for better efficiency. #greenyourride #evtothebackcountry Electric Backcountry Adventurer

Last edited:
Does anyone understand why Rivians are allowed at Tesla SC locations, but not the opposite?
How is that fair? Are there any reciprocity agreements in the works?

This reminds me that you can run Windows on a Mac but the opposite!!!

I only tried the L2 Rivian chargers and there were available to other cars and were free.
I hope this is still the case.

As long as we're at it, does anyone know of any preferential treatment for Tesla drivers at SCs now that they are open to anyone with an adapter? I say this not as a person who doesnt want to share (I WANT everyone to drive an EV to save the planet), but as a person concerned about managing wait times for charging.
No, but how would that work anyway at an unstaffed supercharger station?

FWIW, I just returned from a road trip between south FL and New England, and didn’t see a single non-Tesla vehicle using a supercharger.

Summary: Need Info on Rivian DCFCs. Is it true that Teslas can only use L2s ?

I posted a thread on supercharger deserts and someone replied that there would be a Rivian charger in Lee VIning, CA soon, my very favorite spot. That lead me to check on plugshare, and it is now working!!! It says 200kW CCS, BUT it says "Rivan Only". Checking on this forum (probably not current) says that Rivian DCFCs are for Rivan ONLY,[…].

Does anyone understand why Rivians are allowed at Tesla SC locations, but not the opposite? How is that fair? Are there any reciprocity agreements in the works?

Rivian announced that Tesla cars will be able to use the Rivian Adventure Network in late 2024 or in 2025. I forget which they committed to, and I’m not sure if you may still need a ccs1 adapter to use a Rivian charger.

It will happen, but Rivian software is not as often updated as Tesla firmware and superchargers are. Software changes are a weakness in all the non-Tesla charging networks.

We can only hope …

Reactions: ewoodrick
Rivian announced that Tesla cars will be able to use the Rivian Adventure Network in late 2024 or in 2025. I forget which they committed to, and I’m not sure if you may still need a ccs1 adapter to use a Rivian charger.

It will happen, but Rivian software is not as often updated as Tesla firmware and superchargers are. Software changes are a weakness in all the non-Tesla charging networks.

We can only hope …

That's my understanding. Later this year I thought that they were to add credit card billing. They currently are like Tesla used to be.

But there are VERY few of them.

Yes, you'll need a CCS adapter.

They are NOT L2 only, they are DCFC CCS.

Tesla is adding Superchargers at a rapid rate to handle demand. Most Superchargers rarely fill up. Exceptions are CA and Holidays.

There are two Rivian networks, one for anyone to use, L2 using j1772 (Rivian Waypoint Network) and one for DCFC (Rivian Adventure Network/RAN). Where are Rivian Adventure Network chargers located? - Support Center - Rivian. Rivian is planning to allow non-rivians to use RAN, but the current status seems unclear about what are available for other car brands; I thought I read there were a few open but can't find details (and you will need a ccs to nacs adapter to charge a Tesla). Found https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-non-rivian-owners-in-second-half-2024.24436/