Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RMS FPX vs MP KW’s vs UP luxury?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt anyone’s tried multiple sets and I’m actually looking at the GT luxury versions . All three are approximately $2600.

I also have the LR and most going will have the performance and choose the sport or race versions. So I was hoping to get feedback from anyone with the softer luxury kits.

Able to do minimal 1” drop?
BMW or MBZ Sport feel?
Easy adjustability?
Noticeable compression / rebound difference with adjustment?
Noise if using optional aluminum pillow ball mount?
Street comfort?
Highway comfort?
Long term feedback review?

Single or dual piston?
Road noise (I haye dual piston oil squish noise)?

Upper hat noise? I prefer to pay extra to have them either fully assembled or not having to take apart the old set, then I can just swap them. Otherwise I would gladly pay a shop to assemble and save $800 on a full install.

OEM type Clip for brake lines?

I’ve read the threads on the Ohlins R&T and the track setups but I’m more MBZ then BMW and my track days are over. I only want to drop 1”.

UP Lux
+ Easy external adjust
+/- 32 click Compression/rebound
+ Monotube
+/- 10k Swift linear springs

RMS FPX Cloud
+/- Easy external adjustment? Looks like it comes with a tool
+ Monotube
+/- ?k Swift linear springs
+/- 22 click compression/rebound
+ 2 year warranty

MP KW Sports
+/- Monotube/twin ?
+/- spring rate linear or progressive?
+/- click compression/rebound ?
+ 2 year warranty

Pillowballs will always be noisier than OEM tophats. This is one reason why MPP doesn’t sell pillowball mounts for anything short of their race coilovers.

Having installed Redwoods with pillowballs and then with OEM tophats, I cannot imagine why a person would choose floating (pillowball) tophats over OEM. A shock compressor is cheap and easy to operate (and the rear damper is divorced so you don’t need a spring compressor for it). My car is close to dead silent now. When I had the pillowballs on in the rear, every time I hit a pothole it sounded like glass. Definitely more road feedback. BUT… If you want road feedback, don’t get a GT kit!

Im happy with my redwoods but MPP also makes terrific stuff. I don’t think you can go too far wrong with either. I don’t know anything about UP

Reactions: MODEL+
Thanks TimTam
With top hats they are fully assembled. Yes you can add hours with a spring compressor but I’ve had them slip and would rather have them complete. Yes, I can take them to a local shop for assembly. My HKS and Buddy Clubs were never noisy but twin tunes are and I will never buy them again.

Could you tell me which Redwood you have (FPspec or Ohlins)? With or without Swift springs? How easy was it to initially adjust them?

It sounds like you got the cloud version? Did you regret not going firmer or happy you chose the softer GT?

Thanks TimTam
With top hats they are fully assembled. Yes you can add hours with a spring compressor but I’ve had them slip and would rather have them complete. Yes, I can take them to a local shop for assembly. My HKS and Buddy Clubs were never noisy but twin tunes are and I will never buy them again.

Could you tell me which Redwood you have (FPspec or Ohlins)? With or without Swift springs? How easy was it to initially adjust them?

It sounds like you got the cloud version? Did you regret not going firmer or happy you chose the softer GT?
FPspec ohlins long stroke, sport valving curves, 6K/9K F/R swift springs. Very happy with them. Adjusting preload is fairly trivial: compress the front springs to the max preload you might want, install the dampers, use the wrenches to back off preload until you get the height you want. Similar in the back except no spring compressor needed. Similar to most other coilovers that I know of.

Adjusting damping is super easy: knobs easy to reach, especially with the remote adjusters in the front. As in, I have sometimes decided to change damping by a click or two at a Supercharger, in the rain, and not hesitated to do so. MPP has advantages if you want to lower your car a lot, or prefer separate compression and rebound adjustment, but I’m very happy with the redwood coilovers for my needs.

Their service has been amazing (a couple times I have just texted Heath to figure out something — how many companies do that? MPP, RW, who else?). We are spoiled for good choices in model 3 suspension offerings, imho. I will probably shorten the free length in the back to get a flatter turns; I started too high in the back but discovered that the extra stroke combated “jacking” related body roll, and I want that back now that it’s lower. It’s nice to have that option.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedwoodMotors
I like the easy adjustment at the charge station. I would adjust my Z for city (S) , long highway (M) and canyon (F).

Except for the alleged spirited tap on the pedal to pass an annoying kid revving engine I cruise since it’s an auto and usually chill mode.

Maybe I should have bought the performance since I’m now looking at 14” front rotors (like performance. LR is 12”) and the $2k speed boost …and I’m going down the rabbit hole again.

I originally wanted the roadster as that’s all I’ve ever bough except a Ford Raptor. I was expecting a Model S with the Model 3 LR.

Both UP and RMS have had excellent customer service presale support. I’m trying to find what’s best for me, rather than who makes the best product. I hate twin tube. Easy adjustment is a huge plus or I’d go no adjustment at all.

What I’m trying to avoid is purchasing something (like springs only for example) then finding out I made the wrong choice then spending 1.5x or double buying the right one.

I doubt you would be unhappy enough with RMS to switch. MPP and RW are essentially alone at the top of the hill. If you want to ride near stock height and/or hate twin tube designs, you might prefer Redwood dampers. I’m not sure when it would make sense to ride around on the bump stops with lowering springs, but I’m happy I went with full coilovers instead.