Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise - 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR Build date May 2023
I can hear lots of road noise.

I suppose noise is subjective. I do find that surprising. Have you asked Tesla to look into this?
On my X, the driver side B pillar glass trim was sticking out a bit creating ridiculous amount of wind noise. They fixed it and it's nigh and day difference. It's hard to believe something so small could make such a big difference at highway speed.

My MYLR (Aug23 build) has double glazed windows front and back and is extremely quiet. City streets tyre noise is negligible, highways it depends on the surface type but is generally nicely controlled. Even the shocking M2 is nearly a pleasure to drive on on vs my ICE BMW that lets you hear and feel every concrete join.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Have you asked Tesla to look into this?
Why?. It's road noise...

double glazed window
They are not double glazed. Double glazed have 2 pieces of glass separated by an air gap. Tesla windows are just standard automotive acoustic glass. There are 2 panes of glass but separated by a layer of vinyl. Additionally the interior panel in the rear windows in the Tesla are extremely thin compared with the front windows.

Typically they reduce overall noise by 2-3dB

That's why I am skeptical of noise claims. Especially when it comes from car drivers who are invested in their cars being the quietest around - the good old "confirmation bias" is strong in Tesla drivers.

If I have time, I’ll measure the noise level in our cars. I’m not all that invested in all things Tesla. This is just another car for me. I like them. But I also like my Mercedes and our Volvo. The Model Y is quieter than all of them. Then I’d say the Volvo and Mercedes being about the same at speed and then Model X being the loudest.

Why?. It's road noise...

They are not double glazed. Double glazed have 2 pieces of glass separated by an air gap. Tesla windows are just standard automotive acoustic glass. There are 2 panes of glass but separated by a layer of vinyl. Additionally the interior panel in the rear windows in the Tesla are extremely thin compared with the front windows.

Typically they reduce overall noise by 2-3dB
Our first BMW X5 was one of the first X5's to sell in Australia after it launched. Bought it off the floor from BMW Rushcutters Bay. It was 4.4L V8 petrol and it had every conceivable extra fitted. It had (real) double glazed windows all round. It was very quiet, rivaling what I reckon our MYLR is today. We had 2 more X5's (diesel V6's without double glazing) and neither was anywhere near as quiet as the Tesla (IMO). Nor was our Toyota Land Cruiser Sahara or our Benz E350d.

EDIT: I might add, I believe the sound system quality in the Tesla might add to the overall 'feel' of the drive. This is the first car I've ever listened to music rather than the radio.

Last edited: