Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise - 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our 2023 Model Y LR in December and have been disappointed with the road noise. Living in Michigan where the roads absolutely suck makes it so much wore. Asphalt is much quieter than concrete which can be deafening. I took it in for service at the Grand Rapids service center. The people there were great and after a test drive they said the noise was normal and to turn up the volume on the radio. Geez. It's so bad I'm considering replacing the tires with quieter ones. Any suggestions?

Phil

No great ideas I’m afraid. I do agree that concrete road is much noisier than asphalt.

For the concrete, the direction of the fine grooves that stop shallow puddles forming also makes a big difference. The older roads with the grooves running from side to side are noisier than newer roads with the grooves in the direction of travel. Defect-free hard concrete rings like a bell and is a good sound reflector which is the problem. It is also much more durable than asphalt apparently, so cheaper overall to install.

I’d speculate that the change in groove direction was to reduce road noise. There is a place where I drive that has a change in groove direction between old and new and that is quite noticeable, although not as much as going onto asphalt.

Having driven a 2023 MYP on such roads I can say it is noticeably quieter than my 2019 M3P. That is not much consolation.

I’m running on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s that come with sound-deadening foam. The are the tyres that came with the car. I have looked around out of curiosity about the noise from various other tyres, but I haven’t found much in the way of strongly reliable data. There are some reviews using sound meters, but nothing really systematic.

I have looked for apps that could use my phone to cancel noise via the car’s sound system, but I have not found any.

ICE cars have engine noise that competes with the road noise and I think I notice road noise more now just because the car itself is so much quieter.

If you find some solution we’d be, literally, all ears.

No great ideas I’m afraid. I do agree that concrete road is much noisier than asphalt.

For the concrete, the direction of the fine grooves that stop shallow puddles forming also makes a big difference. The older roads with the grooves running from side to side are noisier than newer roads with the grooves in the direction of travel. Defect-free hard concrete rings like a bell and is a good sound reflector which is the problem. It is also much more durable than asphalt apparently, so cheaper overall to install.

I’d speculate that the change in groove direction was to reduce road noise. There is a place where I drive that has a change in groove direction between old and new and that is quite noticeable, although not as much as going onto asphalt.

Having driven a 2023 MYP on such roads I can say it is noticeably quieter than my 2019 M3P. That is not much consolation.

I’m running on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s that come with sound-deadening foam. The are the tyres that came with the car. I have looked around out of curiosity about the noise from various other tyres, but I haven’t found much in the way of strongly reliable data. There are some reviews using sound meters, but nothing really systematic.

I have looked for apps that could use my phone to cancel noise via the car’s sound system, but I have not found any.

ICE cars have engine noise that competes with the road noise and I think I notice road noise more now just because the car itself is so much quieter.

Thanks for the info. I see you're from Australia. My wife and I are watching Troppo and waiting for MasterChef Australia to start back up.

By the way - here's some info I found and tried. The 1/4" tubing helped a bit. Then I tried the 5/15" tubing and it really helped BUT it prevented the trunk from closing without some manual pressure. I'm going back to the 1/4" tubing. If you try it make sure to coat the tubing with WD40 to make installation much much easier.

Here's the link

I use (not for the cars) an app called ‘sonic tone generator’ (orange coloured logo). Essentially you find a frequency that opposes the noise and it cancels the noise out. Very effective but not car tested

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
I'm very happy with my 2023 MY RWD, it's much quieter than my 2013 model S.
But still, road noise is my biggest disappointment about the car. In town I hear all sorts of suspension noises, much more than with the Hyundai Kona electric from my wife. And on higher speeds there's much more road noise then even on my much older 2012 Range Rover.