Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise - 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

what is your experience with Model Y road noise (coming from underneath the car) in the cabin at highway speeds as compared with other cars you have driven? From what I have found most people say that Tesla's road noise is very load as compare with most cars they have driven. The double pane glass doesn't really help with that, great for any wind noise and when stationary. I would really appreciate your feedback, especially if you could indicate what other cars you have driven before.

Thank you

Hello,

what is your experience with Model Y road noise (coming from underneath the car) in the cabin at highway speeds as compared with other cars you have driven? From what I have found most people say that Tesla's road noise is very load as compare with most cars they have driven. The double pane glass doesn't really help with that, great for any wind noise and when stationary. I would really appreciate your feedback, especially if you could indicate what other cars you have driven before.

Thank you
Hello,

Thank you
The 2023 model Y road noise level has improved over previous Teslas but is still noticeable. If you want an EV with low levels of road noise and smooth suspension buy a European car, if you want the most efficient EV for its size, availability to the best charging infrastructure in the country, and the most versatile vehicle with regards to interior storage buy a Tesla.

I had a late 2023 Performance Y as a loan car overnight a few weeks ago. In city and Highway driving it was a lot quieter than my late 2019 Performance 3. Most noticeably with tyre noise, but generally everything more damped.

It is striking because I find my 3 a lot quieter than my 2015 Audi A3.

It has been a while since I have been in a new European ICE so I could not comment there.

The 2023 model Y road noise level has improved over previous Teslas but is still noticeable. If you want an EV with low levels of road noise and smooth suspension buy a European car, if you want the most efficient EV for its size, availability to the best charging infrastructure in the country, and the most versatile vehicle with regards to interior storage buy a Tesla.

Thank you, much appreciated.

I have a couple of test drives scheduled for tomorrow, first is a 2023 Model Y and then a BMW iX3. I currently drive an Audi A6 (C7) S-Line for 2012, very stiff suspension which I like. The cabin noise level is rather average, especially on a chip seal NZ roads. As long as Model Y is not miles louder than then Audi it should be fine. I will measure the road noise level on those three cars on the same roads.

Reactions: Hovean
I think you'll find the road noise in a Tesla is similar.. it's just that without the engine noise you notice it more if the music is off.

Use the sound system.
I can't really hear a lot of engine noise at highway speeds in my Audis. The 3.0l engines are really refined. In a Q7 4M I had I couldn't hear it at all at highway speeds. For me it is more the noise from the tires getting into the cabin. I will test it tomorrow on two different road types, asphalt and chip seal.

I had a late 2023 Performance Y as a loan car overnight a few weeks ago. In city and Highway driving it was a lot quieter than my late 2019 Performance 3. Most noticeably with tyre noise, but generally everything more damped.

It is striking because I find my 3 a lot quieter than my 2015 Audi A3.

It has been a while since I have been in a new European ICE so I could not comment there.

Thank you, that sounds promising.

We also have a 2014 Audi A3 in the family which I have recently driven for a few hours. The road noise was acceptable, a bit louder than my A6, but nothing to write home about.

Reactions: Hairyman
Road noise similar to other cars, but without the engine noise

Despite what some people assert, Tesla M3/MY are not luxury cars in terms of refinement. IMO in the Refinement Category (if there is one) Teslas sit in the "Toyota" section

Despite what some people assert, Tesla M3/MY are not luxury cars in terms of refinement. IMO in the Refinement Category (if there is one) Teslas sit in the "Toyota" section

The comment above from Power Hungry (thank you) indicates that the latest 2023 Model Y is quieter than a 2017 E Class which would definitively put it above the "Toyota" section. I am sure that the quality of materials in general and wear/tear is definitively not on the E Class level, however if the road noise is similar or better I would be happy.

The other factor with Tesla is the tyre pressure. The standard pressure is quite high (41). If you lower it one or two it'll be quite a bit quieter and softer, the downside being range.

But yeah the new cars are much quieter than my old Fremont Model 3 I had.

I have a 2023 MYP, new in August. My first EV. I find it a bit noisy, mostly road noise, but it's hard to tell if it is actually noisier than my Infiniti. Without engine noise you naturally notice other sounds more. I think it is average, but certainly not what one would think of as very quiet. It would sound less boomy with a sunscreen covering the roof.

latest 2023 Model Y is quieter than a 2017 E Class
Dunno, but Tesla does not have a noisy engine.
I've sat in a lot of Euro luxury cars and I can definitely say Tesla is not the quietest compared to these cars. The comparison is possible when these Euro cars have a coasting (in the case of Merc - "sailing") mode when the engine idles and disconnects from the transmission. When that happens my VW is about on par with the Tesla.

I can’t comment on the MY but I drive a Holden Zb Calais which is the same car as a Opel Insignia B (German built) while I’m waiting for my 2024 m3 and have had a few spins in 2023 M3 while waiting.

Both cars are super quiet, the only real difference is the soft engine sound of the ice engine and turbo if you spool it up, but driving normally there isn’t too much in it.
I put serenity2 tyres on and that made a huge difference from the continentals it came with.
The M3 soaked up the potholes better (plenty of those in Adelaide)
I’m probably getting old and too many years standing next to gensets and weapons in the army to have the best hearing I guess haha.
Interesting comments about everyone else’s other rides, thank you :)

I dont use public infrastructure and I certainly dont use much storage. Key criteria for me are a decent cruise control, a bulletproof voice system, no ongoing changes to where I find information, low road noise, and comfortable but not spongy ride. For all of that, tesla cannot deliver.

Reactions: Quickst

I think toyota is a bit harsh but generally yes thats correct. My eqe ev is crazy quiet. I cannot hear most cars travelling the other direction. I suspect there is some clever noise cancelling going on. I have the awful idea of fake engine noises fully turned off.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The comment above from Power Hungry (thank you) indicates that the latest 2023 Model Y is quieter than a 2017 E Class which would definitively put it above the "Toyota" section. I am sure that the quality of materials in general and wear/tear is definitively not on the E Class level, however if the road noise is similar or better I would be happy.
The fact is, I have never enjoyed driving a vehicle more than our YLR. It's not any one thing though because the Y has a number of things that annoy me; things that could/should be easily fixed. It's just the total experience, the quietness in the cabin, the quality of the sound system, the massive torque available when needed, the space and storage in the cabin and the huge boot and frunk. We've been fortunate enough to have owned many (so called) luxury vehicles over the past 35 years and none of them were as much fun as the Tesla.

I reckon we should start a poll of issues to send to Tesla to address the silly little (mostly) issues that detract from Tesla ownership. It's doubtful they'd listen though and unlikely respond unfortunately.

I reckon we should start a poll of issues to send to Tesla to address the silly little (mostly) issues that detract from Tesla ownership. It's doubtful they'd listen though and unlikely respond unfortunately.
I’m sure tesla already know what the issues are. They’ve already chosen to either not deal with them or do not know how