Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise - 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new 2023 Model Y with Pirelli tires, 19" Gemini wheels and the premium interior. It came with the tires inflated to 37 which is much lower than the spec. I am astounded by how quiet it is on the highway compared with my older 2020 Y.

Will running the tires at low pressure like that cause problems?

One of the biggest EV lies that keeps getting repeated. Unless you drive a 1960's VW bug or muscle car, every modern ICE is absolutely quiet at highway speeds.

Stop with the stupid lies. Tesla chassis are very poorly engineers. That's the fact.

"every modern ICE is absolutely quiet"? I'd like to see that wild assertion backed up with hard data.

The average EV is substantially quieter than the average comparible ICE, there are plenty of DBI meter tests to show that.

One of the biggest EV lies that keeps getting repeated. Unless you drive a 1960's VW bug or muscle car, every modern ICE is absolutely quiet at highway speeds.

Stop with the stupid lies. Tesla chassis are very poorly engineers. That's the fact.
Sorry to say, I've swapped out a 2020 Subaru Forester for a Model Y - and the difference is absolutely startling.

I'm not doubting there are some very quiet ICE vehicles, particularly in the upper echelons of the pricing scheme, but to suggest that *every* ICE vehicle is quiet at highway speeds in context of EV's is both highly subjective, and somewhat misleading.

"every modern ICE is absolutely quiet"? I'd like to see that wild assertion backed up with hard data.

The average EV is substantially quieter than the average comparible ICE, there are plenty of DBI meter tests to show that.
Having owned quite a few 'luxury' cars over the years, I can honestly say that I have NEVER enjoyed listening to music in cars until we got our MYLR last June. The sound system, when combined with the lack of ambient noise makes listening to music in our Y a pleasure.

Having owned quite a few 'luxury' cars over the years, I can honestly say that I have NEVER enjoyed listening to music in cars until we got our MYLR last June. The sound system, when combined with the lack of ambient noise makes listening to music in our Y a pleasure.

Which "luxury" cars are these? I now have a Jaguar XJL, and the music sounds a 1000 times better than my tin can 2023 Model S with its horrible road noise from the tires. I don't know why people go on about Tesla's having good sound systems. The Meridian system in my Jag sounds so much better overall.

Last edited:
you start to realize everything around you in a Tesla is pure low budget.
It is as "Camry" or "KMart" as one can get to be honest. After all the market it is competing in is the mass market. No such thing as "luxury" in the mass market.

Before someone jumps down my throat, that does not mean that it is not "quality". Just not the "quality" of a luxury.

Which "luxury" cars are these? I now have a Jaguar XJL, and the music sounds a 1000 times better than my tin can 2023 Model S with its horrible road noise from the tires. I don't know why people go on about Tesla's having good sound systems. The Meridian system in my Jag sounds so much better overall.
We've owned 3 BMW X5's, a BMW 330Ci, 1 x BMW 530 and 1 x BMW 220D and an E Class Benz 300D all purchased new and the Benz was traded on the Tesla MYLR. Never owned a Jag, never wanted to. Not a single one of those vehicles had the same quality of cabin 'quietness' and absolutely none even came close to the Tesla sound system.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnchidgey
We've owned 3 BMW X5's, a BMW 330Ci, 1 x BMW 530 and 1 x BMW 220D and an E Class Benz 300D all purchased new and the Benz was traded on the Tesla MYLR. Never owned a Jag, never wanted to. Not a single one of those vehicles had the same quality of cabin 'quietness' and absolutely none even came close to the Tesla sound system.
There is no point in comparing any dinosaur juice car to any ev when it comes to noise. The ev’s will always be quieter and with less vibrations except the upper end ice that use noise cancelling in the cabin

Last edited:

Oh, yeah, diesels suck.

Wow, I have never owned a BMW, and I would never ever want to own one, but I didn't realize they didn't know how to engineer a quiet engine.

I can't think of a regular car of SUV I have been in, even with all the Uber's and taxi's I've taken, where you hear any engine noise while cruising down the highway.