Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road & Track: P3 with Track Mode at Lime Rock Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised the car went into reduce power mode after 3 laps, but I looked up the track and it's a fast one. Most performance cars are under a one min for one lap. On a more technical track I don't believe the car would go into reduce power. Sounds like a very fun car to drive. Can't wait to try it out myself.

I was surprised the car went into reduce power mode after 3 laps, but I looked up the track and it's a fast one. Most performance cars are under a one min for one lap. On a more technical track I don't believe the car would go into reduce power. Sounds like a very fun car to drive. Can't wait to try it out myself.

The article made it sound non-atypical with a list of other cars that also hit thermal limits in just a few laps (various courses).

That’s a long, fast track. Many cars poop out faster than that on this track. On a more typical technical track, like Laguna Seca, it should be better.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have to admit, I was hoping for a faster 1/4 mile time, BUT it's basically the same times I get with my stage 2 Audi S4. The model 3 is maybe a tenth faster 0-60 but the S4 did 12 seconds flat at 116 the last time I took it to the strip. So for a bone stock car, it's pretty good. It's just a lateral move for me in the speed department, but maybe that instant torque will make up for it.

Motor Trend has the 2018 S4 at 4.2 0-60 v. 3.5 for P3D and 12.8 1/4 mile versus 12.07 from R&T for the P3D.

P3D looks a LOT quicker than the S4.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance Review: First Taste - Motortrend

2018 Audi S4 First Test: So Quick! But… - Motor Trend

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

It is. But my S4 with a stage 2 tune has basically the same times. So it would be a lateral move speedwise for me, which is what I posted. Maybe they'll come out with a ludicrous upgrade? The thing about forced induction cars is you can basically add 70 horsepower just from a software tune.

It is. But my S4 with a stage 2 tune has basically the same times. So it would be a lateral move speedwise for me, which is what I posted. Maybe they'll come out with a ludicrous upgrade? The thing about forced induction cars is you can basically add 70 horsepower just from a software tune.

From what I've seen online that voids your warranty, no?

From what I've seen online that voids your warranty, no?

If they determined your car was tuned and whatever broke was a result of the tune, sure. But, you know, a lot of people have cars after the warranty runs out.

Edit: I guess what you're trying to say is I could have the same speed with peace of mind of the warranty. But I never had a problem with my tuned S4 so it didn't affect me. Manufacturers design lots of headroom in their vehicles so people who never change their oil or put low octane gas in it don't break anything, so a tune doesn't really affect the reliability as much as one might think. Just like if Tesla releases a ludicrous update it's because their design has headroom. I just hope maybe they could get some more speed out of it.

Last edited:
If they determined your car was tuned and whatever broke was a result of the tune, sure. But, you know, a lot of people have cars after the warranty runs out.

Edit: I guess what you're trying to say is I could have the same speed with peace of mind of the warranty. But I never had a problem with my tuned S4 so it didn't affect me. Manufacturers design lots of headroom in their vehicles so people who never change their oil or put low octane gas in it don't break anything, so a tune doesn't really affect the reliability as much as one might think. Just like if Tesla releases a ludicrous update it's because their design has headroom. I just hope maybe they could get some more speed out of it.

If you're comfortable with it then that's great. I was just pointing out that the P3D off the shelf is much quicker than the S4. For many people (including me) that would be the end of the story because they are not going to risk potentially damaging their car or risk voiding the warranty by tunes or other aftermarket mods.

If you're comfortable with it then that's great. I was just pointing out that the P3D off the shelf is much quicker than the S4. For many people (including me) that would be the end of the story because they are not going to risk potentially damaging their car or risk voiding the warranty by tunes or other aftermarket mods.

Yeah but the S4 isn't a direct comparison. I wasn't trying to make that comparison anyways. I wasn't really trying to debate the pros and cons of an aftermarket tune. I was just saying I was hoping the 1/4 mile time would be faster because my current vehicle has the same 1/4 mile time. I was wondering if they'll make the 3 faster down the road with an upgrade. If not, it will be as fast as my current car. I'm not saying go out and buy an S4 and tune it, which many people do because they know there's little risk of voiding the warranty. But now I'm debating about warranties and tunes. Oh well.

Tuned cars typically sacrifice low-end torque for peak horsepower. The Model 3 will “feel” much faster in everyday driving.

yeah, that's what I was saying. The instant torque will hopefully make up for the lateral move, and maybe ludicrous in the future.

Edit: However, that's not necessarily true of tuned cars. My tune added low end torque AND peak horsepower. It had a higher peak torque at a lower RPM.

I don't know about Audi specifically, as I've never owned one, but I always set my ECU back to stock if it had to go to a dealer. Once it was out my normal flash went back on.