Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip charging discussion (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
for most use cases, single phase home charging is more than ample for an overnight charge.

We have two EV's (My model 3 and my wife's Peugeot e208 EV), I have one home charger, single phase, restrict charges to a 4 hour window overnight that offers me discounted charges, and that is still fine for us!
Supporting anecdotal data point:

This whole "charging at home" thing was very new and the implications relatively unknown back when I bought my S in early 2013. Would I need fast turn-around to add range for unexpected events? Thus I opted for the twin on-board chargers. The Gen1's each could do 40A for a total of 80A charging when installed on a on a 100A circuit.

I've charged at >40A ONCE. In over a decade. And that was because I happened to be at a hotel that had an 80A capable J1772 charge station and I thought "Cool!" It meant my charge finished at 1am rather than 4am... so didn't really need it.

I had a 50A circuit free in my panel with an easy electrical run to my garage, so when I got my Tesla Wall Connector, I installed that, thinking I'd upgrade in the future. Never did.... 40A was fine. Actually I've dialed it back to 32A to try and avoid blowing charger fuses for the 4th time.

Given that newer cars use even less energy per mile driven, ostensibly reducing the amount of charging necessary for a given drive, I tend to agree that 240V/32A is adequate for the vast majority...

I think you missed the part where it was mentioned how there are currently not conveniently located Superchargers on the preferred routes. I know there will be, eventually. The SC routes along the interstate system seem to add hundreds of miles, and the stress of higher traffic volume, metro traffic, etc. to the trips I take repeatedly.

In complete agreement about charging to 80%, not 100%. Also, taking into consideration how this may carry me fewer miles than I usually go after a fillup with current ICE vehicles. This will require more charging stops over the same 800-1000 miles than the current fuel stops.

Granted, charge time will continue to drop as the technology improves and I fully expect the overall experience to eventually be on par, if not better, once the SC stops are to be found at appropriate intervals on the seldom-traveled highways I enjoy using to avoid the interstate system.

Likewise, once full autonomy is available I'll not eschew the interstate highways if they are the most direct route. In my experience, they are not, at least not for the trips I repeatedly take to preferred destinations.

As for smelling the roses along the way, when I travel with the missus we do that. I can take it or leave it and find it a frustrating way to travel. Perhaps I am more destination-oriented than trip-oriented. It can be fun to see the largest ball of baling wire or some such, but I won't stop to do that a second time. For me, it takes away from enjoying the driving challenge in a way that most others may prefer to avoid. To each their own.

Will monitor for the quick and painless transition once I buy my first Tesla. Stranger things have happened to me.

For now, come on Chairs, 2daMoon!

HODL

P.S. For the record, do not mistake this for me defending ICE. Everything about legacy auto has been a lagging technological and burdensome maintenance frustration forever. I am 100% committed to EV. For a number of reasons it isn't practical for me at this time. I expect things will be in better alignment for my transition over the next year or two. The only variable is whether the first Tesla will be a Y or the CT.

For now, I have a whistle, a decanter, a branding iron, and there is some burnt hair on the way. Baby steps...
No, I didn’t miss that part. I just believe you’ll change your mind about what’s ‘preferred’. More hardcore travelers than you have done complete 180s after experiencing and living with a Tesla.

You can’t know what you’ve never experienced.

Again, you have preconceived notions of what it’s going to be, what it needs to be, and what you think you’ll want it to be. If/when you get a Tesla (I’m not convinced you’ll get one) try not to have any expectations and just be open to what it’s really like.

No, I didn’t miss that part. I just believe you’ll change your mind about what’s ‘preferred’. More hardcore travelers than you have done complete 180s after experiencing and living with a Tesla.

You can’t know what you’ve never experienced.

Again, you have preconceived notions of what it’s going to be, what it needs to be, and what you think you’ll want it to be. If/when you get a Tesla (I’m not convinced you’ll get one) try not to have any expectations and just be open to what it’s really like.

Clearly, you are not a mountain biker. 🤔

These destinations where new and/or favorite trails are found, as well as a preference for traveling via direct rural routes, experiencing the roll of dice in discovering new mom and pop cafes, and avoiding breathing exhaust fumes (and the abundance of people) on crowded roads are unlikely to change.

Everyone should disregard what I've shared here. I don't want to add to the traffic on these routes less traveled by extolling upon their virtues.

Last edited:
I think you missed the part where it was mentioned how there are currently not conveniently located Superchargers on the preferred routes. I know there will be, eventually. The SC routes along the interstate system seem to add hundreds of miles, and the stress of higher traffic volume, metro traffic, etc. to the trips I take repeatedly.

In complete agreement about charging to 80%, not 100%. Also, taking into consideration how this may carry me fewer miles than I usually go after a fillup with current ICE vehicles. This will require more charging stops over the same 800-1000 miles than the current fuel stops.

Granted, charge time will continue to drop as the technology improves and I fully expect the overall experience to eventually be on par, if not better, once the SC stops are to be found at appropriate intervals on the seldom-traveled highways I enjoy using to avoid the interstate system.

Likewise, once full autonomy is available I'll not eschew the interstate highways if they are the most direct route. In my experience, they are not, at least not for the trips I repeatedly take to preferred destinations.

As for smelling the roses along the way, when I travel with the missus we do that. I can take it or leave it and find it a frustrating way to travel. Perhaps I am more destination-oriented than trip-oriented. It can be fun to see the largest ball of baling wire or some such, but I won't stop to do that a second time. For me, it takes away from enjoying the driving challenge in a way that most others may prefer to avoid. To each their own.

Will monitor for the quick and painless transition once I buy my first Tesla. Stranger things have happened to me.

For now, come on Chairs, 2daMoon!

HODL

P.S. For the record, do not mistake this for me defending ICE. Everything about legacy auto has been a lagging technological and burdensome maintenance frustration forever. I am 100% committed to EV. For a number of reasons it isn't practical for me at this time. I expect things will be in better alignment for my transition over the next year or two. The only variable is whether the first Tesla will be a Y or the CT.

For now, I have a whistle, a decanter, a branding iron, and there is some burnt hair on the way. Baby steps...
Until I got a Tesla, I almost never went on Interstates.

Supporting anecdotal data point:

This whole "charging at home" thing was very new and the implications relatively unknown back when I bought my S in early 2013. Would I need fast turn-around to add range for unexpected events? Thus I opted for the twin on-board chargers. The Gen1's each could do 40A for a total of 80A charging when installed on a on a 100A circuit.

I've charged at >40A ONCE. In over a decade. And that was because I happened to be at a hotel that had an 80A capable J1772 charge station and I thought "Cool!" It meant my charge finished at 1am rather than 4am... so didn't really need it.

I had a 50A circuit free in my panel with an easy electrical run to my garage, so when I got my Tesla Wall Connector, I installed that, thinking I'd upgrade in the future. Never did.... 40A was fine. Actually I've dialed it back to 32A to try and avoid blowing charger fuses for the 4th time.

Given that newer cars use even less energy per mile driven, ostensibly reducing the amount of charging necessary for a given drive, I tend to agree that 240V/32A is adequate for the vast majority...
When there were no Superchargers within 1500 miles, the 80 amp charging was a real lifesaver.

Without holding anywhere near your acumen for exhibiting grace and social propriety the prospect seems unlikely. 😏
Speaking of social propriety, I can truthfully say that my current summer pilgrimage from Austin,TX to Durango, CO (a 1000 mile trip) involved 2 more stops for bladder comfort than for charging necessity. I expect similar on the return trip. My age and desire for comfort slows me more than the Model Y. Most of the trip is not interstate, but it would be shortened by an additional middle-of-nowhere charger or two - some of which are already in Permitting stage (per supercharge.info). I expect a more efficient route next year while escaping summer hell in Texas.
An additional small revelation: free overnight destination charging at Holiday Inn Express halfway here meant that there was no wasted time or cost to starting the second day of travel with a full "tank". How many hotels do that for the ICE customers who pull in on empty?

(*Edit - clarified destination charging)

Last edited: