Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip from Los Angeles to Monterey....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also probably 10 times as many Teslas in CA as in the next most common state.

This is what supercharger stations on OP's route can look like during the holidays:

They've build some more chargers in the area since that video but the charging infrastructure getting overwhelmed here is still very much a road trip concern.
And Mr. Musk is planning to open the supercharger network to non Teslas.

I assume the car caches the map to some degree, but haven’t really driven any extended stretch without service to find out. But if you’ve set the route and it’s factored in a charging station in an area without cell service, it would still be able to get you there as long as you don’t reset your navigation, right?
You are right, ifyou set the navigation before losing the cell coverage, the itinerary will still be running as long as you don't stop and park the car.

I will be doing a road trip from Los Angeles to Monterey back to LA with the family in December. I will document the trip on charging stations, range and any other useful information. Has anyone done this trip or something similar, we would love to know. 2021 Model YLR
I did this trip. If this is your first road trip on Tesla, just trust the navigation and charge where it tells you to. LA to Monterey, I charged 3 times due to range anxiety, but no need.

Grab what you want to eat before going to charger. You will have better options.

If you need or want to sleep in car, sleeping in the same parking lot of supercharger is good. There are a lot of other ICE cars that sleep next to superchargers. Get the the foam 6 inch mattress for comfort. Air mattress is wack AF.

Reactions: EFS83
Believe there are at least two supercharging stations in Monterey, so you can cruise into your destination pretty empty. It is a magnificent trip and driving that road in a Tesla is pure bliss. You will smile quietly when you see the local gas station in Gorda packed with anxious ICE vehicles paying over $6.00 gallon to refuel.
Most stop at Madonna inn to tour that remarkable place and check out the waterfall cave mens latrine. It gets busy in at lunch time as everybody seems to want to Supercharge at the same time. Early in the day, and later in the afternoon usually has stalls available. Tesla often brings in extra portable Superchargers at the busiest times, but still be prepared to wait. Their is a nice little garden area you can stroll through behind the inn as well.

I have done this trip many times with my X 75 and still found the range worked well.

Coincidentally SF Bay Area to Santa Barbara is a route will likely be driving often in our Y once we take delivery. Sounds like supercharger availability (number of superchargers and open spots) is not an issue on this route, which is great to hear.
I'm sure charger availability could be a problem during peak holiday weekend times, but then again traffic is also miserable at those times so I try and avoid those. My roundtrips have been for visiting UCSB, dropping kid #2 off to start freshman year, and soon picking kid up and returning him for thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, i.e. geared to UCSB's schedule rather than directly to holidays.

Bob

Reactions: leaftoy
I'm sure charger availability could be a problem during peak holiday weekend times, but then again traffic is also miserable at those times so I try and avoid those. My roundtrips have been for visiting UCSB, dropping kid #2 off to start freshman year, and soon picking kid up and returning him for thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, i.e. geared to UCSB's schedule rather than directly to holidays.

Bob
Fellow Gaucho parent here! Southwest direct from SBA to OAK works out great for short visits back home for your Gaucho.

Believe there are at least two supercharging stations in Monterey, so you can cruise into your destination pretty empty. It is a magnificent trip and driving that road in a Tesla is pure bliss. You will smile quietly when you see the local gas station in Gorda packed with anxious ICE vehicles paying over $6.00 gallon to refuel.
Most stop at Madonna inn to tour that remarkable place and check out the waterfall cave mens latrine. It gets busy in at lunch time as everybody seems to want to Supercharge at the same time. Early in the day, and later in the afternoon usually has stalls available. Tesla often brings in extra portable Superchargers at the busiest times, but still be prepared to wait. Their is a nice little garden area you can stroll through behind the inn as well.

I have done this trip many times with my X 75 and still found the range worked well.
We’re planning on doing this trip in December as well. One night in Pismo and then straight to Monterey Bay via the 1.

If we charge to 90% (possibly 100%) in Pismo, do you think we can make it all the way to Monterey Bay without any additional charging? Mileage is about 150 but we’ll be going through the windy roads of hwy 1.

2021 MYLR with 20” inductions if this matters.

We’re planning on doing this trip in December as well. One night in Pismo and then straight to Monterey Bay via the 1.

If we charge to 90% (possibly 100%) in Pismo, do you think we can make it all the way to Monterey Bay without any additional charging? Mileage is about 150 but we’ll be going through the windy roads of hwy 1.

2021 MYLR with 20” inductions if this matters.
Interesting question. Not sure if "windy" in this context means lots of turns or lots of wind, since highway 1 has both :) but in any event you'll be going relatively slow the entire time. I'd be surprised if you average much over 50mph, unless you are much luckier than I've ever been with traffic. Lower speed should help much more than wind might hurt, especially since the wind will be on or off shore, not a pure headwind.

I highly recommend checking the Caltrans hotline the morning you leave the 101 or the 1 as storms often cause mudslides on the 1 in Big Sur and close the road for weeks at a time. San Luis Obispo is the place where the 101 and 1 diverge. And I think the destination charger at Ventana in Big Sur is for guests only.

And Hearst Castle is currently closed because they are working on the access road so check with them to see if the chargers are available. And note they're only 8k chargers, not superchargers.

I highly recommend checking the Caltrans hotline the morning you leave the 101 or the 1 as storms often cause mudslides on the 1 in Big Sur and close the road for weeks at a time. San Luis Obispo is the place where the 101 and 1 diverge. And I think the destination charger at Ventana in Big Sur is for guests only.

And Hearst Castle is currently closed because they are working on the access road so check with them to see if the chargers are available. And note they're only 8k chargers, not superchargers.
Ventana in Big Sur is a public supercharger.

Hotline? Why not just check on their website? Hotline sounds pre Tesla pre smartphone. :)

My wife and I did a trip from Torrance to Carmel Highlands last April. I topped off a 90% soc on my home charger as I packed our MYLR. By the time we were ready to leave the soc was 98% so I unplugged and we immediatately headed out. The navigation software routed us on 101 instead of going up 5 to 46 and the Kettleman City supercharger. In a second surprise (to me), it then had us take 154 up past Lake Cachuma and then back to the 101 and on to the Madonna Inn Supercharger (which was not crowded). We charged to about 95% as I didn't want to rely on the destination charger at the Highlands Inn (a wise precaution as it turned out). This was my first road trip, so I stopped at the supercharger at Greenfield. It was very slow (almost a level 2) even though I wasn't near another vehicle. I subsequently found out that there was a supercharger station at the Del Monte Shopping center (which is technically Monterey). The two destination chargers at the Highlands Inn were never available until the night we left so we used the supercharger at the Del Monte.

Going home we were routed to Paso Robles and the Supercharger off the 46 (Goldhill Rd) and then onto the 5 and the supercharger at Lebec,

Last edited: