Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip from OC to SF via Pacific Coast Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a 3 days tour trip to SF from Orange county via the stunning PCH, did anyone has experience on which hotel to stay, or which SC to stop by? It seems that besides the coast view, there are some places that worth visiting, like the hearst castle. Traveling with children so want to make the trip more leisure. This is my first long distance trip with my MX 90D, a bit nervous about the charging. Would appreciate for any trip recommendation.

I'm planning a 3 days tour trip to SF from Orange county via the stunning PCH, did anyone has experience on which hotel to stay, or which SC to stop by? It seems that besides the coast view, there are some places that worth visiting, like the hearst castle. Traveling with children so want to make the trip more leisure. This is my first long distance trip with my MX 90D, a bit nervous about the charging. Would appreciate for any trip recommendation.

I did it on the I-5 before: Should I take my X to SF?

Did 3 roundtrips from Irvine to SF since I got the car in August.

I just traveled San Diego to San Francisco mostly on the coast. I only utilized Tesla super chargers and did not find the need to focus on hotels that provided charging. I stayed in San Francisco, Monterey and Solvang on the trip, took my time and charged, as I said, only at super chargers. (incidentally, no SC's in SF proper...you have to go south on 101 to San Mateo for the closest.)

My only issue was that with the current Tesla navigation system I had to program several legs for the trip, as opposed to picking my total route with stops I wanted to see. Tesla navigation is designed to give you the shortest distance between two spots, and doesnt accommodate folks that want to sight see. Im still thankful I dont have to stop at AAA for maps....but this could be improved.

I also used my laptop to pre-plan using EV Trip Planner and another program called EVTripping. They both allow you to put in stops along your way, and adjust your charging locations accordingly. Im hoping that changes are in the works for the new 8.2 software to allow you to pick your route.

If you want to go Hearst Castle, It is at the southern end of Big Sur area. On the way up, stay at the Marriott Buelton (I hope I got it right). It has a conveniently located SpC in front of its parking lot that is mostly empty at night. Also, you have the pretty Danish-like town of Solvang like 5min away. Kids will love the windmills and all of the danish treats. And there are beer and fish places highly popular that you will enjoy.

Also, if you are lucky and SpaceX has a launch planned on your time there's the Vandenberg AFB right there too.

Not to mention a few good Central Coast Wineries around. There's a horse riding place too near one of the wineries.

Drive to Hearst Castle from there. Have lunch at Sebastian's in San Simeon after Hearst Castle. Your next SpC will be Seaside.

Last edited:
It is an easy trip. Take 101 north, stop at the Buelton supercharger and then the Atascadero supercharger. There is a great local hamburger place a short walk from the Atascadero supercharger. From Atascadero head for highway 1 and Morro Bay. From the Atascadero supercharger to the one in Monterey is about 150 miles. Heading north you will go by Hearst Castle and Big Sur. When we went to the TMC conference in Monterey we met fellow attendees at the Atascadero supercharger and drove Highway 1 together--see attached image

Attachments

• P1010227.JPG
    P1010227.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 229
It is an easy trip. Take 101 north, stop at the Buelton supercharger and then the Atascadero supercharger. There is a great local hamburger place a short walk from the Atascadero supercharger. From Atascadero head for highway 1 and Morro Bay. From the Atascadero supercharger to the one in Monterey is about 150 miles. Heading north you will go by Hearst Castle and Big Sur. When we went to the TMC conference in Monterey we met fellow attendees at the Atascadero supercharger and drove Highway 1 together--see attached image

+1 -- I took this exact route in the fall and it was fantastic. I basically did zero planning so the places I stayed did not have charging. It wasn't a big deal but if I did it again I would probably look for somewhere in Carmel/Monterey with overnight charging to skip one Supercharger visit, but if you don't want to be bothered it's a pretty easy trip just using Superchargers.

That was a fun convoy, we turned a lot of heads & got tons of thumbs ups (Tesla's were still cool back then :cool:).

+1 -- I took this exact route in the fall and it was fantastic. I basically did zero planning so the places I stayed did not have charging. It wasn't a big deal but if I did it again I would probably look for somewhere in Carmel/Monterey with overnight charging to skip one Supercharger visit, but if you don't want to be bothered it's a pretty easy trip just using Superchargers.
Monterey Marriott has HPWC but you have to valet the car and I don't valet my X. The Seaside SpC is 5min drive away.

folks thank you so much for the information, after a brief study, I planned to head to solvang first, have fun there and get my X a quick charge at SC there, then stop at Atascadero get fully charged then along PCH to Monterey and stay there for an overnight charge, next day went to SF and stay there for overnight charge, 3rd day when we back to OC, stop at monterey SC and go to hearst castle, next bullerton SC. the only thing bothers me is not quite sure is the 3rd day trip, range from monterey to bullerton ever need stop to charge. of course we might stop from time to time to take pictures and walk the beach maybe, will that decrease the range, my MX has rated 257 miles range, but will have 7 people seated plus luggage so pretty fully loaded. I guess that affect the range as well.

folks thank you so much for the information, after a brief study, I planned to head to solvang first, have fun there and get my X a quick charge at SC there, then stop at Atascadero get fully charged then along PCH to Monterey and stay there for an overnight charge, next day went to SF and stay there for overnight charge, 3rd day when we back to OC, stop at monterey SC and go to hearst castle, next bullerton SC. the only thing bothers me is not quite sure is the 3rd day trip, range from monterey to bullerton ever need stop to charge. of course we might stop from time to time to take pictures and walk the beach maybe, will that decrease the range, my MX has rated 257 miles range, but will have 7 people seated plus luggage so pretty fully loaded. I guess that affect the range as well.
On your return, after Hearst Castle you will likely need to charge at Atascadero.

What's the name of the hamburger place near Atascadero supercharger?

Check the CalTrans site for current road conditions before you go. They're currently reporting part of your route as closed:

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM RAGGED POINT (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) TO 16.5 MI SOUTH OF BIG SUR (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A MUDSLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED FROM 3.3 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF US 101 /AT PANORAMIC HIGHWAY/ TO 5.7 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF US 101 /AT PACIFIC WAY/ (MARIN CO) - DUE TO A SLIP-OUT - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 1.2 MI NORTH TO 1.5 MI NORTH OF CARMET (SONOMA CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 1800 HRS ON 5/31/17 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Also, the 41, which would get you from Morro Bay, on the PCH, to Atascadero is closed:

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM IRONWOOD AVE /IN MORRO BAY/ TO 1.2 MI SOUTH OF ATASCADERO /AT TORO CREEK RD/ (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) - DUE TO A MUDSLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

Sylvester's Burgers is about a block to the northwest(?) along El Camino Real on the other side of the street. There is a chamber office next door to the supercharger. My wife walked in and asked where to go for a good burger. It does not look like much, but it is a great local place.

Driving highway 1 can be tedious, we were stuck behind some very slow tourists--maybe off season it will be better. I recommend doing it just one way. If you are spending time at Solvang in the morning, consider going to Hearst Castle in the afternoon and spend the night in Cambria. Then drive up highway 1 the next day.

Last edited: