Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip to northern and Republic of Ireland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am simply after tips for the best charging networks alongside Tesla for travelling around for a week. Starting and finishing in Belfast . Model 3 LR . Are ESB /ecar connect any good / anyone got experience of them etc. All help much appreciated thanks

Hopefully this is still useful to you. My experience is focused on NI and Donegal - I'm not sure about further south (expect Dublin & Cork would be much better though).

There are no Superchargers in NI, though one is scheduled for the Belfast service centre later this year. And a distinct lack of >50kW chargers in the north compared to Scotland. A few destination chargers dotted around too.

Headline: ESB eCar is going to be vital for you - almost all rapid chargers are run by ESB, in both NI and the neighbouring counties of RoI. It's generally free of charge in NI, but generally chargeable over the border.

Make sure you have ordered an RFID card from ESB - don't just use your phone. Some of the chargers have communications issues (e.g. the charger at Glenshane Pass on the A6 between Belfast & the north west), and an RFID is the only way to start/stop charging in these situations.

Having said that, the ESB eCar app is pretty good.

It's worth having a 3-phase cable, since there are a fair number of 22kW AC chargers in town centres that you can use at 11kW that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. I am staying mostly in ni and have already got and registered my rfid card with esb . We are staying 2 nights where there is ev charging ability but then off to Co Donegal so will plan ahead . It seems there are quite a few esb chargers so it will be fun
Managed most of north coast 500 in Scotland with charge place Scotland so fingers crossed . Always the RAC if it goes tits up
Thanks
Will post when trip is done if it helps future travellers

Upvote 0